Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
shackleford
shackleford began at the beginning.

Device: none
What's the best E-reader for a friend in Russia?

I'm doing research into E-readers. My friend is a native Russian. What's the best E-reader? I've come across Pocketbook and some Sony E-reader.
shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Russian speakers have a very large and active ebook reader forum
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/
If I recall correctly fb2 is the preferred format for most of them so any readers that support that format would be recommended. They are also a very active at modifying devices to work for them. Ask your friend to visit that forum and check it out.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
JWFeReaders
JWF eReaders Rep
JWFeReaders began at the beginning.

Device: JWF eReaderPRO
Our JWF eReaderPRO supports Cyrillic best in FB2 and DOC formats. It isn't released to Russia until the 19th April (as distributors are to be sorted out), but you could always get one and ship it out there yourself?

Here is a link to a demo of the device showing how it copes with Russian and Ukrainian Cyrillic alphabet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbTH2Q9qpFI
JWFeReaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shackleford View Post
I'm doing research into E-readers. My friend is a native Russian. What's the best E-reader? I've come across Pocketbook and some Sony E-reader.
Those two had until recently dominant position.
Nowadays there are many people that have Kindles, but that is because of the price and not because of superior support of Russian language. Kindle doesn't support FB2 format directly.

besides PocketBook that was designed specifically for their market there is also lbook and Azbuka.

PocketBook Touch 622 with pearl and multitouch is the newest and greatest (not taking into account 9 inch devices). PocketBook 360PLUS is also great choice.

See an older thread with the same question
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158384
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I have purchased three Kindle 3 (keyboard) WiFi devices for Russian speakers who live overseas. It is very easy to convert from FB2 to mobi with Calibre and the Kindle 3 supports the Cyrillic alphabet just fine.

Edit: Calibre has also been translated to Russian.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-28-2012 at 04:20 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Off subject, in addition to one of the ebook readers that you see here I would recommend getting them openoffice for russian's, its the only office suite that is fluent in over 100 different langueges russian at ru.openoffice.org and it also speaks Lithuanian at lt.openoffice.org, estonian at et.openoffice.org, uzebek uz.openoffice.org and mongolian @ mn.openoffice.org to mention a few langueges associated with russia and a few langueges that I have never heard of including Miskto, Papmiento, Shuswap and telegu.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
sam88
sam88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

Hi,
You can use JWF eReaderPRO supports Cyrillic best in FB2 and DOC formats. It isn't released to Russia until the 19th April but you could always get one and ship it out there yourself,its really a good e book reader.
------------------------
Debra Fine
sam88 is offline   Reply With Quote