Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #61
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Meagre vocabulary.

Some 10-12 words I knew their definition but could not remember now.

P.S. Yes, English is my second language but it is a poor excuse for not remembering those 12 words.

Last edited by astra; 08-25-2011 at 10:46 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #62
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
10 600

I guess that was because of my laziness. If a strange word shows up (and doesn't play a significant role in the context), I simply ignore it. So, I've come across a dozen of familiar words for some hundred times, but all I know about them are my concepts of their true meanings.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
10 600

I guess that was because of my laziness. If a strange word shows up (and doesn't play a significant role in the context), I simply ignore it. So, I've come across a dozen of familiar words for some hundred times, but all I know about them are my concepts of their true meanings.
If it's any comfort, you're doing a lot better than the average visitor to that site from Vietnam, as the average is only 6593.

Indeed, you're better than the average from all these countries:
South Korea, Germany, Spain, Lithuania, Hungary, Estonia, United Arab Emirates, Czech Republic, Venezuela, Bulgaria, Colombia, Switzerland, Slovakia, Malaysia, Poland, Latvia, Thailand, Egypt, Japan, Taiwan, Brazil, Turkey, Hong Kong, Moldova, Russia, Uzbekistan, China, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Vietnam, Belarus, Saudi Arabia and Iran.

If you use the dictionary on your Kindle, you should quickly increase your vocabulary. But for day-to-day use, you seem very proficient to me already.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
all I know about them are my concepts of their true meanings.
Isn't it what you need? I mean if you understand the concept of the word, you know its meaning. I did the test again - yesterday, funny that I did it at about the same time as you, a coincidence - for some words I checked my understand via online English Russian dictionary. Could not put ticks next to 4-5 words, because my understanding was incorrect or not precise enough. I am sure that at some point of time I knew meaning of another 10 words when I was memorising words every day during factory shifts for 4 years. Obviously, I didn't put ticks next to them. I am afraid that my vocabulary has shrunk a bit since moving to the UK. Although, I picked up a few new&odd words too
Yesterday I got 20.500 or something like that. Probably because I learned the word opsimath between these tests

There was a German word leitmotif that sounds exactly the same in Russian (surely the word migrated from German) but besides knowing the word and remembering it in classics books I have no clue what it means
Vocabulary for citizens of Western Europe countries is a lot easier to master if their mother language German, French, Datch, Italian, Swedish.
I know some very intelligent British people got about 28-32K. They are like walking encyclopaedias. Yet, they don't know any foreign language and the test results are lower than some "foreigners" score.
It made me question the validity of the test
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Intelligence isn't the same as vocabulary. Even so, I'll mention again that I scored a little over 36,000...

And age plays a big part in it. One picks up obscure vocabulary as one goes along. Interestingly, they show a levelling off of this around age 50.
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #66
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Isn't it what you need? I mean if you understand the concept of the word, you know its meaning. I did the test again - yesterday, funny that I did it at about the same time as you, a coincidence - for some words I checked my understand via online English Russian dictionary. Could not put ticks next to 4-5 words, because my understanding was incorrect or not precise enough. I am sure that at some point of time I knew meaning of another 10 words when I was memorising words every day during factory shifts for 4 years. Obviously, I didn't put ticks next to them. I am afraid that my vocabulary has shrunk a bit since moving to the UK. Although, I picked up a few new&odd words too
Yesterday I got 20.500 or something like that. Probably because I learned the word opsimath between these tests

There was a German word leitmotif that sounds exactly the same in Russian (surely the word migrated from German) but besides knowing the word and remembering it in classics books I have no clue what it means
Vocabulary for citizens of Western Europe countries is a lot easier to master if their mother language German, French, Datch, Italian, Swedish.
I know some very intelligent British people got about 28-32K. They are like walking encyclopaedias. Yet, they don't know any foreign language and the test results are lower than some "foreigners" score.
1/ By "concepts", I meant I only get some vague ideas about their true meanings. I almost always make wild guesses from the contexts.

Take the word "grumble" for instance: by experiences, I know that people "grumble" when they're upset, and that word describes when they're likely to talk quietly a little more than usually, with sarcastic or bitter comments.
(The same goes for "lycanthrope" or "apocalypse" or "termite"...)

So, I have in mind a "picture" of the word, "drawn" by myself. I "know" what it means, but I don't really know its meaning
By this way, I remember a word better. Looking up any new word I bump into and I'll forget its meaning after 5 secs.
(Of course, built-in dictionary is for the words I don't know beans about!)

2/ How do you know about when I took the test?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #67
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Take the word "grumble" for instance: by experiences, I know that people "grumble" when they're upset, and that word describes when they're likely to talk quietly a little more than usually, with sarcastic or bitter comments.
I know it was just an example, but it's fun the hear how others interpret words. Grumbling is not really sarcastic or bitter, but is complaining in a half-hearted kind of a way, not a serious protest that is expected to be paid attention to.

You're right about the quietly. It has a connection in my mind (spurious or not) with growl and rumble.

Someone might grumble when ordered to do something, but if they only grumble about it, they're still going to obey the order.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #68
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Intelligence isn't the same as vocabulary. Even so, I'll mention again that I scored a little over 36,000...

And age plays a big part in it. One picks up obscure vocabulary as one goes along. Interestingly, they show a levelling off of this around age 50.
That's when you start to forget what things like continence mean.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #69
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
15 800 and I deny to be ashamed of this number. Yeah, that. And I will stick to this version

(English as second language btw)
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #70
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I know it was just an example, but it's fun the hear how others interpret words. Grumbling is not really sarcastic or bitter, but is complaining in a half-hearted kind of a way, not a serious protest that is expected to be paid attention to.

You're right about the quietly. It has a connection in my mind (spurious or not) with growl and rumble.

Someone might grumble when ordered to do something, but if they only grumble about it, they're still going to obey the order.
Guess what, I just looked it up it's not exactly the meaning I believed it was, but kinda close Now thinking back... you're right, people "grumble" when they quietly protest. It's a feeble complaint.

(Your avatar's all green now, I just noticed that, when did you change it?)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #71
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
I KNOW !!!!
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #72
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
2/ How do you know about when I took the test?
I sort of assumed that you did it the other day because you posted the result yesterday?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #73
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
I sort of assumed that you did it the other day because you posted the result yesterday?
No, I took it today!

Erm... it might be a good thing to keep in mind that we're 7 hours apart
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #74
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Today! I'm still not sure about the colours. I might revert to the old one.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #75
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mmm

38,300 ....

seems an overestimate to me ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote