Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
galvtsi
kindle2 and nook user
galvtsi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2 and nook
nook touchscreen

I have a nook and it has a touchscreen. The manual states that the touchscreen can be used for turning pages. I also have a palm pre telephone, so I am very familiar with the swipe mode on the screen. On my nook, every once in a while, the swipe does turn the page, but most of the time it does not. I went to a Barnes and Noble store to see a demo of the screen, but the manager told me to call tech support. Went to a different store and was given a demo. At first, their scren worked, then started doing the same as mine. Anyone played with the nook touchscreen and consistently been able to get it to work?
galvtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
You're likely to find some glitches like this - the Nook is in its first release, and their are bugs in both software and hardware. I don;t know which this is - if it's software, then hopefully B&N will come up with an update fairly soon. If it's hardware (i.e. in the screen itself), then replacement is the only option.

You need to call tech support and register this is an issue
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've moved this thread to the nook forum - you're much more likely to get a helpful answer here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

The same thing happens to me. I have tried probably several hundred times and only have had the page turn TWICE for me!
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
slothrop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
You're likely to find some glitches like this - the Nook is in its first release, and their are bugs in both software and hardware. I don;t know which this is - if it's software, then hopefully B&N will come up with an update fairly soon. If it's hardware (i.e. in the screen itself), then replacement is the only option.

You need to call tech support and register this is an issue
Where do I find the Tech support number? I can't find it anywhere on the Nook website or the manual I was sent.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
Where do I find the Tech support number? I can't find it anywhere on the Nook website or the manual I was sent.
Here ya go (I don't think the phone numbers are nook specific but the email address is):

Call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

International customers should call us at 201-559-3882.

nook@barnesandnoble.com

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-13-2009 at 02:11 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
slothrop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Here ya go (I don't think the phone numbers are nook specific but the email address is):

Call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

International customers should call us at 201-559-3882.

nook@barnesandnoble.com
Thanks. I called Tech Support and they said they will be fixing this feature in a patch since the "sensitivity is just set too low".

They also said a patch is likely by the end of this week, but not guaranteed.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Mine does page turns via swipe with near 100% accuracy. The "stroke" does take a little bit to get used to but is as you'd expect.

I simply find using the navigation buttons more convenient and faster.
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Counter
Connoisseur
Counter began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader
I have seen on other forums that you NEED to swipe light and FAST for it to work.

ugg
Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I didn't even bother trying the swipe as I read it was less than functional

Maybe they will fix it.

who really cares anyway? You've go the buttons, which are better for this I think.

(BTW, if it needs to be finessed it doesn't work so don't do it )
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
superhero
Enthusiast
superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505, B&N Nook, Sony Daily Edition, iRex Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter View Post
I have seen on other forums that you NEED to swipe light and FAST for it to work.

ugg
Exactly. Once you get the motion down, which is not hard, it works everytime and I actually prefer it to the buttons. It is more like turning a page. You do not need to run your finger across the entire span of the touchscreen. A light, fast, short travel will work fine. Good luck.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
Exactly. Once you get the motion down, which is not hard, it works everytime and I actually prefer it to the buttons. It is more like turning a page. You do not need to run your finger across the entire span of the touchscreen. A light, fast, short travel will work fine. Good luck.
I agree - you have to know how to swipe and then it works flawlessly.

I didn't think I would use it much, but found out I like it more than using the buttons also..
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
tyncam
tyncam began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Page Turns

I was using the "swipe" in the touchscreen section and even with the new firmware found that the pages didn't consistently turn. I inadvertently tried the same motion on the actual bar between the touch screen and e-ink screen and found that this section consistently turns the page ...
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm using latest firmware 1.1.1.

Swipe lightly, quickly, with short stroke works everytime, anywhere on the LCD.

Don't swipe like what you do on Palm or iPhone where you press your finger and "rub" the screen.

Last edited by bthoven; 01-24-2010 at 09:38 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote