Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Apple Tablet next spring

Is it the Kindle killer?

From Tech Trade Daily:

Quote:
Oppenheimer analyst Yair Reiner writes in a research note today that his checks with the supply chain find that “it appears Apple will begin ramping production in earnest in February” on the tablet, “implying that the tablet could launch in late March or April.” He says the supply chain appears to be preparing to produce as many as 1 million units a month.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
The apple tablet is like an Unicorn
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I don't know that it will be a kindle killer, or even compete in exactly the same arena. If it doesn't have an eInk, or other easy on the eyes, display then I cant see it being used as a reader. At best, at that point, it would be a net book killer and even then only for people that would be willing to pay the Apple premium.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reminds me of a Bookeen firmware update - long promised, but never delivered...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I don't know that it will be a kindle killer, or even compete in exactly the same arena. If it doesn't have an eInk, or other easy on the eyes, display then I cant see it being used as a reader. At best, at that point, it would be a net book killer and even then only for people that would be willing to pay the Apple premium.
But if it comes in at under $300.00, Kindle could be in trouble.

Wait!, $300.00!... Apple!...

BWAHH HA HA HAAAA!

I kill me!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Well, supposing they bring out an Apple tablet at a price I can afford I'll be seriously jonesing for one.

But as an e-book reader? Full color is nice, I guess, but I don't read books with pictures much. The quick response time would be good. Backlit screen and low battery life and a heavy reader that tends to heat up--not so nice.

Might be useful in a pinch, but for me, I think I prefer a dedicated e-ink e-book reader.

What the average member of the public will prefer remains to be seen, of course. People might be more attracted to a device that can incidentally read e-books in addition to giving access to music/movies/pictures/color web sites/games/oh, yeah, typing and stuff/. But it seems to me that battery life will not be good enough for serious reading.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are plenty of "media tablets" on the market (eg Archos make extremely nice ones) and they've not set the world on fire. I don't really see Apple's being any different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are plenty of "media tablets" on the market (eg Archos make extremely nice ones) and they've not set the world on fire. I don't really see Apple's being any different.
People seem to think that because it's Apple, it will...

I am looking for a nice, affordable tablet, not for a replacement of my current readers, but as extra to them. Larger screen, touchscreen, full colour. Nice for A4 reading (such as comics and magazines).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
People seem to think that because it's Apple, it will...
See, that's the mistake so many witchdoc--I mean financial analysts make. They reverse cause-and-effect. If there were some kind of magic to the Apple brand, we'd all be using Newtons, no?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
E-ink devices and LCD screen devices are apples and oranges.

No E-ink equals no Kindle killer (or Sony Reader killer, or Nook killer, or Iliad killer, etc etc)
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Reminds me of a Bookeen firmware update - long promised, but never delivered...
Actually, NOT! It's never been promised from Apple at all. Everyone else thinks it's real.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, NOT! It's never been promised from Apple at all. Everyone else thinks it's real.
Jon's right. Apple has never said anything to indicate they're bringing a tablet to market.

Never say never, of course, but so far the "Apple Tablet" is wishful thinking only.

That's not saying that they won't ever release one, but as of this moment in time, there's no proof one will ever actually exist. All the talk about "the promised..." There have been NO promises, just speculation and rumor.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Heh, there are plenty of "smart phones" on the market (eg HTC make extremely nice ones) and they've not set the world on fire.

IMO, Apple often does things differently, indeed. If the iPad, or whatever, comes out, it may be just different enough, to redefine the segment (if you can call it that.)

The Archos I've played with are clunky, somewhat primitive feeling devices, which have not set the world on fire for a good reason. If Apple doesn't do much better, it won't either.

The LCD rumors are pretty disappointing, IMO.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My prediction is that it'll be at least $1000 US.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
But if it comes in at under $300.00, Kindle could be in trouble.

Wait!, $300.00!... Apple!...

BWAHH HA HA HAAAA!

I kill me!
Sure. No problem. Of course, that will be 300 *APPLE* dollars, or about $1,300-$1,700 in current US dollars.

But never fear, with a mere $375/month AT&T two-year contract, it will be available for $399!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple tablet, kindle killer