Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
Silly123
Silly123 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
[iOS] Calibre Companion not working

Hello,

I need help. I just purchased CC about 5 min ago. For the last 48 hours, my Caliber stop syncing (cannot communicate with device) because of a new update on iTunes and ios on my ipad. After purchasing CC, trying to bypass the issue I am still not able to sync any e-book to my ipad. (have version iTunes 12.7 and ios 11) I followed all the help instruction to connect but not able to wireless connect or use content server with my ipad to load ebook via CC.

Can I please get help from the developer please.

P.S do not update your iTunes or IOS if caliber is working

Cheers
Silly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Silly123 - maybe this thread covers the issue ==>> Itunes no longer handles ebooks -- --

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to the Calibre Companion forum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What operating system to you use to run calibre?

What you are describing sounds like a firewall/wireless net security/antivirus problem. The CC connection FAQ discusses all of these.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Silly123

I have tried all the links and solutions they are not working. I am using window 10

Last edited by Silly123; 10-08-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly123 View Post
I have tried all the links and solutions they are not working. I am window 10
In the following list, by FAQ I mean the connection FAQ I referenced above.
  1. FAQ step "Connecting for the first time": post a screen capture of the calibre Connect/Share options so we can be sure that both the wireless device and the content server have been turned on and that the ports are not the same.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	159371
  2. FAQ step 1.1: Post a screen capture of your Windows 10 network settings "Network and Sharing Center" so we can verify that you are using a private network.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	159368
  3. FAQ step 2.1: Post a screen capture of your Windows 10 firewall settings main screen so we can verify that the windows firewall is on.

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	159369
  4. Post a screen capture of the firewall rules showing that calibre is allowed through the firewall.

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	159370
  5. What happened when you did the test described in section 4.1 of the FAQ?
  6. Post a calibre debug log as described in section 4.2 of the FAQ.
  7. Are you running an antivirus other than Windows Defender?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
Silly123

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
In the following list, by FAQ I mean the connection FAQ I referenced above.
  1. FAQ step "Connecting for the first time": post a screen capture of the calibre Connect/Share options so we can be sure that both the wireless device and the content server have been turned on and that the ports are not the same.
    Attachment 159371
  2. FAQ step 1.1: Post a screen capture of your Windows 10 network settings "Network and Sharing Center" so we can verify that you are using a private network.
    Attachment 159368
  3. FAQ step 2.1: Post a screen capture of your Windows 10 firewall settings main screen so we can verify that the windows firewall is on.
    Attachment 159369
  4. Post a screen capture of the firewall rules showing that calibre is allowed through the firewall.
    Attachment 159370
  5. What happened when you did the test described in section 4.1 of the FAQ?
  6. Post a calibre debug log as described in section 4.2 of the FAQ.
  7. Are you running an antivirus other than Windows Defender?

Hello.

I was able to get the content server to work but not the wireless part. I used a fixed IP address and port number on my router. I have McAfee firewall, which I disabled but it still could not get the wireless to connect. I have window defender I look at the setting but i do not see anything alarming on it. I also reserved the port number on my McAfee to by pass my firewall and it still not working. i switched around the my wireless ip and port number with the content server. It was still working the content server but the wireless part did not work. I have not being able to get it working at all
Attached Files
File Type: docx Doc3.docx (55.9 KB, 197 views)
Old 10-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Silly123

Debug device report, while its connected to the content server and unable to connect wireless
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	285
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	159373  
Old 10-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

What I understand from what you have told me:
  • You "used a fixed IP address and port number on my router." I am not sure what this means. The words say that you set up port forwarding on your home network router, but unless you have multiple networks this should have no effect at all. If it does have an effect then your network is partitioned, which is not a CC use case. You might have meant that you "used a fixed IP address and port number on my device", in which case things are clearer.
  • You have the content server connection working on various ports. This implies that the windows firewall is open for incoming connections on those ports. It isn't clear whether you are using a fixed IP address or CC's auto-connect (Bonjour and broadcast).
  • The wireless device connection does not work on the same ports. I assume that you ensured that the content server and wireless device never shared the same port. It isn't clear whether you are using a fixed IP address or CC's auto-connect (Bonjour and broadcast).
  • You obfuscated the IP addresses so I can't tell if they are public or private, although the bits I can see imply you are using a 192.168 private range. FWIW: obfuscating private IP addresses serves no purpose. Everyone in the world uses the same addresses, and if a bad guy gets through your home router's firewall then that bad guy will discover the IP range being used.
  • You supplied a calibre device detection log. What I asked for was a calibre debug log. A debug log will tell if calibre is able to successfully listen on the specified connection port, indicate whether or not calibre "hears" CC's "are you there" broadcasts, and show if incoming connections arrive but are not serviced by calibre.
  • You are running McAfee, which is known to cause problems for CC. This is especially true if the installation contains any "spyware" protection, because evidence implied it can do content-based filtering. You say that you disabled McAfee. Our experience is that McAfee can refuse to actually be disabled, leaving parts of itself running even when told not to.
Given all the above, I think the most probable reason for the problem is McAfee. My reasoning: your device can connect to calibre's content server, indicating that there is a network path from CC to calibre. Whatever is preventing the wireless device from working must be interfering with that network path in some way, and by far the most likely candidate is McAfee.

A second possibility is that there is something plugged into the Windows machine that calibre thinks could be a device. Calibre can connect to one device at a time. If you have something plugged in for charging that calibre (partially) recognizes, an active "Connect to Folder", or some other device connection then the wireless device will never connect.

I don't have any further suggestions.

Given that CC doesn't work for you, if you want a refund use the contact form here.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Silly123

oH my God its finally working, i figured it out. I have one more question, how do i transfer my book which e reader is compatible with CC that will allow me to read all my books

Last edited by Silly123; 10-14-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
oH my God its finally working, i figured it out.
What did you do to make it work? If appropriate I will update the FAQ with your experiences.
Quote:
I have one more question, how do i transfer my book which e reader is compatible with CC that will allow me to read all my books
I can't help with this. I am the developer of CC Android and also the developer of the "CC bits" in calibre. I don't own an iOS device.

Perhaps someone who uses iOS will come along with some app recommendations. You might get more answers if you create a new thread for this question.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
Silly123

You have to help me you are the developer, How do i read the book i just uploaded on the CC. What do i do with it?
Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Silly123

I reserved the port number on my router with an ip address. I reserved also the port number on my McAfee antivirus (go to firewall setting and type in the 2 port number to bypass firewall) to bypass my firewall. It take a while (24hrs) for it to bypass my firewall and it worked. Make sure the connect to folder on caliber is connected to Caliber library folder Also it will not work if you have itunes open

Last edited by Silly123; 10-14-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I can't help with this. I am the developer of CC Android and also the developer of the "CC bits" in calibre. I don't own an iOS device.

Perhaps someone who uses iOS will come along with some app recommendations. You might get more answers if you create a new thread for this question.
You have to help me you are the developer
You may have missed the part where he said he doesn't have an iOS device and is only the developer of the android version.

Someone should be along to assist you with iOS reader recommendations shortly.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #15
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Been having the exact same problem but from my Android tablet. Someone mentioned that a device may have been plugged in that Calibre linked to. I had plugged an android phone in on charge (not my usual phone) so I removed that and was able to connect with no further problem. The sly thing was that Calibre was not showing an attached device.

Thanks chaley, you nailed it!!
jukin is offline   Reply With Quote