Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 09-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
hapla
hapla began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Problem loading po file

Hi,

I'm planning the contribute to Finnish translation of Calibre, but I'm having problems testing the existing translation. I tried following the instructions from http://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved#translationsfaq, but I don't get the translation loaded.

I downloaded the .po file from Transifex. I tried using both for_use_calibre_main_fi.po and for_translation_calibre_main_fi.po (I renamed the file fi.po). I started Calibre from the directory where the fi.po file is, but the UI language does not change and Finnish is not added into list of languages in Preferences. I tried in Linux and in OS X with Calibre 2.38.

So, am I doing something wrong or are the instructions are out of date?

best regards,
- hannu
hapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot test translations for a language that is unknown to calibre. You'd need to wait till the first release of calibre with the language and then the testing via fi.po will work.

What you can do is use a hack. Name the file de.po and use

CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_LANG=de calibre

You might need to edit the header int he po file to change it to german as well, though I dont think that should be neccesasry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Alternatively build the translations from source. Only supported on linux, and it isn't exactly the easiest (waiting).
(Easier if you planned to run from source anyway.)

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html

Checkout your source code, then run python2 setup.py bootstrap, add your translation to the translations dir that appears, and rerun to create (among others) the all-new locales.zip

Alternatively, copy locales.zip from the installation location, unzip it, add your compiled (msgfmt) translation file, and store it in $CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY (somewhere in ~/Library/ I think? or ~/XDG_CONFIG_HOME/calibre) in the resources/localization folder. You will need to create those folders, most probably.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-13-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: localizations --> locales
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
hapla
hapla began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
The renaming hack works for me in both Linux and OS X. Thanks, I'll go with this.
hapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Alternatively, Kovid added a new environment variable for specifying the location of a .po file. This will be in next week's release.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...d6e6112e9e78da
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote