Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #151
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
k2pdfopt on ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefUser View Post
It compiles well on ARM btw (OCR switched off for now).
I tested it on a 25 page document, which took about 10.5 minutes.
Wow--30 seconds per page is a little painful, but I guess not terrible. I don't think you'll want to add Tesseract to that. It could get really ugly! But I'm impressed you got it to run already. Nice work. What platform? If you want to send me the ARM binary for a given platform, I'd be happy to host it on willus.com. Did you comment out the function that pulls in libgsl? Also, if you made mods to the code for ARM, you can send them to me and I'll incorporate them into future releases.

Last edited by willus; 09-08-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #152
RefUser
himself
RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PRS-T1,Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Wow--30 seconds per page is a little painful, but I guess not terrible. I don't think you'll want to add Tesseract to that. It could get really ugly! But I'm impressed you got it to run already. Nice work. What platform? If you want to send me the ARM binary for a given platform, I'd be happy to host it on willus.com. Did you comment out the function that pulls in libgsl? Also, if you made mods to the code for ARM, you can send them to me and I'll incorporate them into future releases.
The platform is Maemo 5 which runs on Nokia's N900http://maemo.org/. It has many packages from debian already ported, so I just had to compile libpng and mupdf, including its thirdparty libraries.
I didn't manage to link it completely statically, so while I can send you the binary, everyone who wants to use it, needs the correct versions of libjasper and libdjavulibre which in turn need libjpeg62.
If I don't figure it out in the near future, I may send you a zip file with the dynamic libraries included.
For Android a copy of libc (and libm) may be needed in either case since their version is stripped down to Android's needs.
RefUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #153
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Highlighting OCR'd PDFs on Kindle 3 or newer?

Can somebody with a Kindle 3 (or newer) let me know if they can highlight the text from the OCR output of k2pdfopt? I cannot do this on my Kindle 2, but I think that's because Kindle 2's cannot highlight PDF files. Anybody know for certain?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #154
RefUser
himself
RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I managed to link k2pdfopt statically for ARM (armv5, still without OCR) and uploaded it to (Link outdated, see below) for the moment. Even a test on my PRS-T1 passed succesfully (about the same speed as mentioned before), so it should run on most android devices.
If any one tries another port: don't rely on the thirdparty libraries of mupdf (especially libjpeg).

Quote:
Can somebody with a Kindle 3 (or newer) let me know if they can highlight the text from the OCR output of k2pdfopt? I cannot do this on my Kindle 2, but I think that's because Kindle 2's cannot highlight PDF files. Anybody know for certain?
I have no kindle but on the PRS-T1 I can highlight the text.

Last edited by RefUser; 09-10-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #155
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt ARM binary

Quote:
I managed to link k2pdfopt statically for ARM (armv5, still without OCR) ... it should run on most android devices.
Available on the k2pdfopt download page now. I ran UPX on it to shrink it down to ~6 MB.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #156
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I updated the dead link in the tools index wiki with this new merged thread. I wonder what other broken links the thread merge created.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #157
RefUser
himself

Quote:
Available on the k2pdfopt download page now. I ran UPX on it to shrink it down to ~6 MB.
The upx'ed version segfaults. I've uploaded a stripped version (uncompressed 11MB) to Dropbox (which is now available from willus.com, see below).

Last edited by RefUser; 09-11-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: removed outdated link
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #158
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt ARM binary

Quote:
The upx'ed version segfaults. I've uploaded a stripped version (uncompressed 11MB) to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2299259/k2pdfopt/k2pdfopt.xz
Sorry about that. I UPX'd it on x64 Linux but I thought it would work. I've put up your new version. Do they make UPX for ARM? Maybe you can try UPX-ing it on your system? No big deal for now. I'm guessing I won't get a ton of ARM downloads right away, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #159
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I updated the dead link in the tools index wiki with this new merged thread. I wonder what other broken links the thread merge created.
Thank you. I asked the moderator specifically about re-directing the dead thread link to this thread, but was told it couldn't be done. I don't know why you couldn't replace the dead thread with a single post that points to this thread, though. I would think that would be a very common need whenever threads are merged, so I'm a bit puzzled it can't be done.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #160
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thank you. I asked the moderator specifically about re-directing the dead thread link to this thread, but was told it couldn't be done. I don't know why you couldn't replace the dead thread with a single post that points to this thread, though. I would think that would be a very common need whenever threads are merged, so I'm a bit puzzled it can't be done.
We don't merge threads very often. Perhaps it could have been done a different way, but we do the best we can at the time.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #161
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
We don't merge threads very often. Perhaps it could have been done a different way, but we do the best we can at the time.
Can you search for mobileread links to the dead thread (including links to posts in that thread)?

Unfortunately, only a site mod (or creator of the post containing a now-dead link) can replace those dead links to point at the new merged location.

Any descriptive references such as "see post #234 above" could also be incorrect now if the post numbers changed.

Otherwise, we need to wait and report dead links when we stumble across them.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #162
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Can highlight OCR PDF text on Kindle 3

Quote:
I've been told that the OCR text can be highlighted on a Kindle 3 and Kindle Touch (see this thread), and presumably all newer versions. I'm not very pleased that Amazon has left the Kindle 2 (and DX, apparently) folks in the dust in this regard. And yes, I know I can get a 3.x update for the k2, but I prefer not to hack it.

What's also odd is that the kindle software for the iPad can't do PDF text highlighting. Or is that just because my iPad software is tied to my purchase of a Kindle 2? Anybody know?

Last edited by willus; 09-13-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #163
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

ARM downloads at 1%

Quote:
Sorry about that. I UPX'd it on x64 Linux but I thought it would work. I've put up your new version. Do they make UPX for ARM? Maybe you can try UPX-ing it on your system? No big deal for now. I'm guessing I won't get a ton of ARM downloads right away, but I could be wrong.
After about a week of binary downloads, I've had roughly 1% of them in the ARM binary format (18 out of ~1800).

Last edited by willus; 09-16-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #164
dianner
dianner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Doesn't work

Hi - I tried to convert a PDF file with this tool using the default options and it doesn't seem to work. This PDF file has 2 columns on some pages and 3 columns on others. I expected the pages to be 1 column, but they continued to be 2 and 3. I also tried specifying "co" and "1" on the interactive display, with the same result. I believe this PDF file is created from a hard copy document being scanned in. Could this be a problem? Or, is there some other option to specify? I've looked at the help for the options, but I can't see any that make sense. Thanks for any help.
dianner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #165
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If a page is really just an image of the text then there is no way to change the number of columns. Often scanned pages are just images.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools