Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Nietzsche
Philosopher
Nietzsche began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
What is the microsd card limit (gb) for the Kobo Touch?

32gb? 16gb? It's only been a week or so since I've owned this device. I really like it and I'm planning expand my library.

Also, has anyone noticed any lag in reading time (e.g. flipping pages) with a full memory card? In other words, is there more delay with more books loaded onto the memory card?

Much appreciated.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally I have a 8GB card and have not noticed any slowdown in page turns. The search function however slows down considerably since it has to work with so many titles. The first letter of the search always takes the most time then the rest is relatively quick. I'm pretty sure 16GB cards are supported. Don't know about 32GB or higher. How many books do you plan on having on your device?
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
There have been many reports of people having problems with cards greater than 2GB, so be warned it doesn't work out for everyone.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Pretty sure the site says 32GB, I'm using a 8GB Micro-SDHC card and it works perfectly. I don't have a ton of books on it though.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
It DOES say 32Gb, but many people have reported problems with SD cards that are over 2GB.
You may well have no problems, but it;s not guaranteed.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
From what I can see, most problems occur with the not so common memory cards.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
It DOES say 32Gb, but many people have reported problems with SD cards that are over 2GB.
So basically you're recommending that SD cards are more stable than SDHC cards. I'd have to agree.. It is an older standard and they do have on rare occasion a 4GB SD version and nothing higher. Addressing limit you see.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
I would highly recommend not going higher than 8gb, look for SDHC (Class-6) or SDXC (Class-10) cards.

I have tested the device with cards of 8gb and lower. And have had issues with Lexar 16gb SDHC Class-4 and ADATA 16gb SDXC Class-10.

The cards are fine and work in other devices perfectly.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
These problems with larger sized micro sd cards were introduced with the updated firmwares. Up till they started updating the firmware the larger cards worked fine. As to why its buggy now is left debatable. When it will be sorted out is another question. Some have had it resolved others have not. Still others have had no issue regardless to what version of firmware they are using. The larger sized 32gb cards can allow a user to potentially store 30,000 books more then a small town library.
My best suggestion would be to stick to reliable brand named cards, and not the budget dime a dozen cards.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
register512
Kobo Touch User
register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
[snip].... My best suggestion would be to stick to reliable brand named cards, and not the budget dime a dozen cards.

regards

Jack
Jack has generally hit all the high spots, but I'd like to throw in a few notes.

First, the Kobo Touch is spec'ed as being able to handle micro-SD cards up to 32GB in size, as Jack has said. Since this was a specified feature, I looked into large capacity cards. I finally bought a 16GB card, since the 32GB cards were pretty expensive, and there was a mail-in rebate offer on the 16GB card. Mine is a "reliable brand name card" -- it was made by Patriot, who are one of the major memory manufacturers. For the record, mine is a 16GB SDHC Class 10 card; in other words, a high-performance piece of memory.

Initially, my card worked perfectly, but after a few firmware upgrades, my Touch started to act in very weird ways. In effect, with the card installed, I couldn't read any books. It made no difference as to whether the book was on the card, or in main memory.

For the hell of it, I have tried moving the contents of my card to other cards, and testing them in the Touch. So far, I have tried a 2GB SD card, and a 4GB SDHC card. Both of these seem to work perfectly -- I have experienced none of the weird behaviour that I have seen with the 16GB card.

Based on my experiences, I would have to agree that you should look to use smaller capacity cards, at least until they get the bugs sorted out (if ever). Frankly, this card problem really pisses me off, since it was obviously not properly tested during development -- if you say that you support some piece of hardware, then you have to be able to prove it.

My piece of eight...
register512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
The largest standards-compliant SD card is 2gb. There have been a few tricked out cards made that are 4gb, but the do not meet the SD Card specs and fail in many card readers and should be avoided. The standards-compliant SD/HC cards should be used instead.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by register512 View Post
Jack has generally hit all the high spots, but I'd like to throw in a few notes.

First, the Kobo Touch is spec'ed as being able to handle micro-SD cards up to 32GB in size, as Jack has said. Since this was a specified feature, I looked into large capacity cards. I finally bought a 16GB card, since the 32GB cards were pretty expensive, and there was a mail-in rebate offer on the 16GB card. Mine is a "reliable brand name card" -- it was made by Patriot, who are one of the major memory manufacturers. For the record, mine is a 16GB SDHC Class 10 card; in other words, a high-performance piece of memory.

Initially, my card worked perfectly, but after a few firmware upgrades, my Touch started to act in very weird ways. In effect, with the card installed, I couldn't read any books. It made no difference as to whether the book was on the card, or in main memory.

For the hell of it, I have tried moving the contents of my card to other cards, and testing them in the Touch. So far, I have tried a 2GB SD card, and a 4GB SDHC card. Both of these seem to work perfectly -- I have experienced none of the weird behaviour that I have seen with the 16GB card.

Based on my experiences, I would have to agree that you should look to use smaller capacity cards, at least until they get the bugs sorted out (if ever). Frankly, this card problem really pisses me off, since it was obviously not properly tested during development -- if you say that you support some piece of hardware, then you have to be able to prove it.

My piece of eight...
Cant argue your logic. My Sandisk card worked great no problems 8 gig size.. Then when i updated the firmware it got buggy. Purchased a new Sd card 4 gig size sandisk again and it works fine. The 8 gig card works great in my fathers android phone. So there you have it.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Cant argue your logic. My Sandisk card worked great no problems 8 gig size.. Then when i updated the firmware it got buggy. Purchased a new Sd card 4 gig size sandisk again and it works fine. The 8 gig card works great in my fathers android phone. So there you have it.
I am experiencing the same issue. Although I started with an 8gb card. Everything worked fine, it was only a Class 4 Micro-SD, So I decided to upgrade to a 16gb Class 10 Micro-SDXC card these are the newer ones which will allow capacities up to 2TB in the future.

Thats when things went horribly wrong.

I wish Kobo would just create am open firmware branch and allow us to fix the problems.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #14
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
The 30,000 eBooks limit is exactly the sort of commercial lie I hate; this figure has been calculated this way: a 32 Mb SD-card can contain 32 MB, that is nearly 30,000 x 1 Mb e-book files!
But the Kobo is absolutely unable to parse as many files, and it has no room for as many books: for any book cover, it creates monochrome copies of the cover that often need about 200 KB for each book in the /.kobo/pictures/ directory. For 30,000 books the Kobo would need 6,000,000,000 bytes of main memory (6 GB). Mine has only 1,434,600 bytes. This is false advertising by unskilled merchants.
As for me, I tried with up to 800 books on a 4 GB SDHC. As I don't care about brands I could not tell which, but this is an ordinary one. The Kobo is slow, but, well, it works. I already reduced to 700, and I plan to erase the complete Proust, Balzac and so on, because I loaded them hoping that the Kobo would allow fast searches as other handheld devices, but it is the slowest of all slow devices I ever owned. Really prehistoric to my mind...
I often save compressed archives of the contents of both Kobo and SD card. Each one is nearly 250 Mb. When I have a problem, I restore from the two files of the same date, which also defragments the flash memories.
One thing I noticed too: if you format the SD card through the Kobo cord (when it is plugged to the Kobo), the card will no longer be recognized by the Kobo, till it is formatted separately. (I use SDFormatter). The card must be formatted through a SD adapter directly connected to the computer. I noticed that a user in another thread could only format the card with his Blackberry. Maybe he tried to format the card while it is plugged to the Kobo. Though I know it it still happens to me...

Last edited by Francois_C; 07-20-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Completed
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
16G Sandisk card, no problems what-so-ever, before, during or after any update. Was good to go right from the first time I plugged it in.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote