Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Problems seeing images

I have been having trouble getting sigil to display pictures on this machine. It is a problem which you have not been able to duplicate. I also have VLC media player installed on this machine. It also uses Qt, but version 4.2. Could this program (VLC media player) be causing the problems I am seeing?

Last edited by mrmikel; 09-04-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: to make the thread more helpful
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I have been having trouble getting sigil to display pictures on this machine. It is a problem which you have not been able to duplicate. I also have VLC media player installed on this machine. It also uses Qt, but version 4.2. Could this program (VLC media player) be causing the problems I am seeing?
If VLC is putting its Qt libraries on the PATH, then this is probably the reason for your problems. I had a similar problem with Calibre during development of Sigil, since Calibre unfortunately does this.

EDIT: I reported that Calibre was adding DLL's on the PATH here, back in March.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-03-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Picture problems

If the path is the problem is there a solution? VLC is not in the path but Roxio is and I think it uses Qt as well.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sys tem32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;E:\Program Files\calibre;e:\LEADCMD;e:\LEADCMD\BIN;E:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;e:\Program Files\calibre;e:\python25;e:\phython25\scripts
Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If the path is the problem is there a solution? VLC is not in the path but Roxio is and I think it uses Qt as well.
Hm... this is more complicated than it seems. The "main" Qt DLL's should be loaded from the Sigil directory no matter what is on your PATH, since Windows looks for DLL's in the app folder first. So that is not the issue.

What could be the issue is the loading of Qt plugins. Qt DLL's load some plugin DLL's dynamically. These are the ones located in the "codecs", "iconengines" and "imageformats" folders.

Now Sigil explicitly instructs that plugins should be loaded from those folders, but this could be overridden by plugins on the PATH. I'm not sure of the order in which Qt inspects the locations where the plugins could be loaded from. After a bit of research, it seems that if the application specifes a plugin search path with QCoreApplication::addLibraryPath() calls (as Sigil does), these are always searched first.

So it seems something else is your problem.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
I have been having trouble getting sigil to display pictures on this machine.
Operating System?

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Operating System?

Martin
This is a continuation of issue 114 on the task tracker. His OS is Win XP.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone

May not be dlls

I looked into system information for loaded dlls and I found none starting with qt.

I started sigil and checked again and QtNetwork4 and QTWebKit4 popped up on the list.

So the idea of dll interference may not be true.

I have just checked things out on my Vista 64 bit and it displays images...I was noticing it was still on 1.0 so I decided to update to 0.1.3. Two images one after the other overlap at the start of it where Kovid inserted his Calibre graphic. But I assume that is normal teething pains.

ANYWAY, I seem to notice that the structure of the various folders doesn't seem the same in the one I am having problems with as I this one I am using right now. It is possible that version of Winzip is not set to use original file folders. So I will check that out in a few hours.

Last edited by mrmikel; 09-04-2009 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Comparison with Vista machine
Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone

Image Display problem solved

As I noted in the earlier post, I did check how winzip was configured and it was NOT configured to use folder names. So the structure was wrong and it didn't work.

At first when I unzipped correctly it created a subdirectory of sigil off of sigil and still did not work. When I hung the 3 directories directly off of sigil, it works fine.

So if someone wants Sigil in their program files folder, they need only to extract it into program files using folder names and a Sigil directory will automatically be created.

Thanks for your patience with my error.

Last edited by mrmikel; 09-05-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Changed the thread title at the original poster's request.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote