Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
cliffsloane555
cliffsloane555 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ereaders without touchscreens?

My first was a Kindle 4th Generation. THe battery is depleted, so now I am looking for a replacement. I just dislike touchscreens, so if there are any that you may recommend that have button controls, please make your suggestion!
cliffsloane555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsloane555 View Post
My first was a Kindle 4th Generation. THe battery is depleted, so now I am looking for a replacement. I just dislike touchscreens, so if there are any that you may recommend that have button controls, please make your suggestion!
The PocketBook Basic and Lux Basic are both non-touch eReaders (the Lux has a front light). The PocketBook Touch Lux has a touch screen (and light) but touch can be disabled. All of these have page turn keys.

Replacement batteries for the Kindle 4 are relatively cheap and fairly easy to install.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the touch screen would be annoying because you may accidentally touch it and turn the page, as rcentros says you can get models where you can disable it. Even on ones where it can't be completely disabled you may be able to configure it so it uses swiping to turn pages (e.g., the Kobo Forma), which could be less likely to accidentally happen.

With the Kindle Oasis you can disable the touch screen when you click on the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner. (And the larger screen is quite nice.)
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsloane555 View Post
I bought a replacement battery kit for my Kindle 3 (from Newpower, not shilling for them just fyi) and it took under five minutes to replace the battery. If that is literally the only problem and in general you still like your K4 I would just do that. It would save you alot of money.

While you can disable the touch screen while reading and just use the page turn buttons on an Oasis you should know that you can't get completely away from using the touch screen (for navigation) and you also have to disable the touch screen every single time you go to read.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If the touch screen would be annoying because you may accidentally touch it and turn the page, as rcentros says you can get models where you can disable it. Even on ones where it can't be completely disabled you may be able to configure it so it uses swiping to turn pages (e.g., the Kobo Forma), which could be less likely to accidentally happen.

With the Kindle Oasis you can disable the touch screen when you click on the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner. (And the larger screen is quite nice.)
You can get a Kobo Libra that has page turn button and the tap to change the page can be set in the options to a swipe so a tap will not change the page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
cliffsloane555
cliffsloane555 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I bought a replacement battery kit for my Kindle 3 (from Newpower, not shilling for them just fyi) and it took under five minutes to replace the battery. If that is literally the only problem and in general you still like your K4 I would just do that. It would save you alot of money.
Truth be told, I got spooked by the videos that explain how to do it. As I understood it, the back was glued to the top of the battery and the battery glued to the board.
Then, when looking around for a tech who could do it better than I could, a friend pointed out that the nand also had a life expectancy issue, and would last maybe only five years or so longer than the battery. So I traded it in for a Kindle Basic 10th, but still looking seriously at those PocketBook models.

I should have gone into it with more confidence.
cliffsloane555 is offline   Reply With Quote