Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Oasis 3 battery life vs Oasis 2

I have not seen much discussion of this yet (I know the Oasis 3 has only been out a few weeks), but for those who have both an Oasis 2 and an Oasis 3, are you seeing much difference in battery life? I know the Oasis 3 has more LEDs and a faster processor, but also a bigger battery. And so I was curious if the Oasis 3 battery life works out the same in the end, or is it a bit better or a bit worse?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I personally think the O3’s battery is just a touch better. Based purely off my personal experience of it lasting a longer time between charges.

Last edited by cerem0ny; 08-12-2019 at 08:01 PM.
cerem0ny is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
As of now I can't tell a difference between my O2 and O3. I need more time with the O3 to really tell though. I got it last Monday and I am still on the first charge. It needs a few cycles of battery charge. So it could get a bit better even.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
After sideloading and waiting for the indexing to complete on 5500+ books (it was plugged in to power during this process), I haven't yet had enough time on reading to get a feel for the battery life/endurance.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
It’s worse if anything. I do use the color lights a lot though. I’m charging it every day or every other day, when it reaches about 65%. I do a lot of reading, sometimes seven hours a day.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I just charged my O3 for only the 2nd time. First time was when I got it last Monday (Aug 5th). I haven't had a chance for a full long reading session as I normally do as my brain seems to be on slow mo with the heat in the 102-104 degrees right now. . But I have been reading every day maybe 2 hours total? Playing with light and all that.
Its not going down when it just sits, which is good. So I am happy with the performance on it.

Last edited by Atunah; 08-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Other than the initial indexing of a loooooooot of book, I'd say that my battery life seems to be significantly better (though that is just my sense, not a scientific or empirical study).
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'd say the battery life is about the same as that of the O2, but then I don't use the warm light much and I also don't usually read several hours a day. I have no complaints about the battery of my O2 either. Of course the battery goes down way faster for those who read 5, 6, 7 hours a day. I generally read a couple of hours, sometimes 3, very seldom more.

Also quite a lot of people keep their frontlights in the upper half of the scale. Mine is usually at 9.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
It's been a month since I've owned my Oasis 3 and I've only charged it once. And that's with the warm light usually turned on. A definite improvement over my Oasis 2 which used to last anywhere from a few days to a week.

Last edited by azayn; 08-22-2019 at 05:25 AM.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I have not seen much discussion of this yet (I know the Oasis 3 has only been out a few weeks), but for those who have both an Oasis 2 and an Oasis 3, are you seeing much difference in battery life? I know the Oasis 3 has more LEDs and a faster processor, but also a bigger battery. And so I was curious if the Oasis 3 battery life works out the same in the end, or is it a bit better or a bit worse?
My first Oasis 2 had bad battery life with 30% to 50% loss a day. I had to charge every other day but stupid me traded it in and bought another Oasis 2 and Oasis 3 and compared the two. Battery life on both was good and drained at the same rate. 30 minutes of reading drained about 2%-3% depending on the light level. after 1 week I still had 58% battery life left so if I wanted to I could go 10-14 days without charging ( an estimate) that is if I do not download more books and/or use audible.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
It may be that manually turning the reader off and on makes a difference and that there was battery use caused by the auto-wake cover that I did not know about but I am getting a lot more battery life with the 3. Easily 2/3 to twice as good. Fingers crossed.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
hopla
hopla began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nobody mentioned that but seems to me that it takes much much shorter time to charge the Oasis 3 in comparison with the O2. This makes huge difference.
hopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopla View Post
Nobody mentioned that but seems to me that it takes much much shorter time to charge the Oasis 3 in comparison with the O2. This makes huge difference.
I too have noticed this.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #14
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I didn't have the O2 for very long (1 month before returning it, at the start of the year), but I do distinctly remember thinking the battery life was abysmal. So much, that I decided to return it. I don't find that the case with the O3 at all actually, and the "worse" battery life (compared to my Voyage) does not bother me one bit. And it definitely does take much less time to charge!
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:02 AM   #15
Denodan1
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It’s worse if anything. I do use the color lights a lot though. I’m charging it every day or every other day, when it reaches about 65%. I do a lot of reading, sometimes seven hours a day.

LOL No wonder it's not lasting? If course using it for 7 hours a day it will run down faster and would day 7 hours is great as they only quite half an hour a day. That is not a bad battery life your expecting to much.
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote