Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #31
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
The PW4 is the worst kindle Amazon has put out, in my opinion. The contrast is terrible.
That was just the first run. They've since fixed it. I have a newer one and the contrast is not Voyage good but it is as good as my Oasis. I agree that the launch PW4's were a bit too washed out.

For me the worst kindle is the Kindle 10 because randomly it won't respond to page presses. Never had a problem like that with any other Kindle model.

It seems like if you buy a Kindle or a Kobo at launch you're running more of a risk of a lottery with issues.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #32
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I am curious if I can get used to the warm lighting, will try it.
Dunno if your current kindle has lighting. My Touch did not. I turn the lighting down very very how so it's barely discernible and you can also adjust how strong the warm lighting is.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #33
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
That was just the first run. They've since fixed it. I have a newer one and the contrast is not Voyage good but it is as good as my Oasis. I agree that the launch PW4's were a bit too washed out.

For me the worst kindle is the Kindle 10 because randomly it won't respond to page presses. Never had a problem like that with any other Kindle model.

It seems like if you buy a Kindle or a Kobo at launch you're running more of a risk of a lottery with issues.
Probably the issue I had. I bought it the first day it was released.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #34
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, even better news. I don't have prime on my personal account, but use it for the payment plan option. I used the free shipping option that said will be here Sunday. Just got a text from amazon auto-system that said it should now be here tomorrow. Can't wait! Right in time for holiday weekend too.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #35
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Maybe thesaurus.com for some obscure similar word? Although it's slim pickings in what they give. Maybe something Arabic or Saharan.
Hm, yes, I need to think on this. Thesaurus isn't a bad idea but Oasis, which sounds awesome in itself, has crappy matches. I think I'll pass on their suggested "Watering hole"

Most people don't get as anal as I do on naming. I do like the word Oasis in itself so may not change it much. Definitely a first-world problem type of issue.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hm, yes, I need to think on this. Thesaurus isn't a bad idea but Oasis, which sounds awesome in itself, has crappy matches. I think I'll pass on their suggested "Watering hole"

Most people don't get as anal as I do on naming. I do like the word Oasis in itself so may not change it much. Definitely a first-world problem type of issue.
Zerzura
Rubaksa
Tulufan
Timia
Siwa
Chebika

All well-known oases. I'm sure many more examples can be found by digging a little.

From the fantasy series "Wheel of Time":
Sulara
Chaendaer (well, that's a mountain, not exactly an oasis)

Last edited by Sirtel; 07-01-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #37
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I associate genie with the Sahara, but ifrit is another possibility. Ifrits are evil, but then so are these newfangled electronic devices.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #38
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post

Oh really? Hmm, I didn't realize that. That's good to know!
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #39
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Hm, I like the idea of naming it after an Oasis. I will think about it and see what sticks out for me. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 07-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #40
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Oh really? Hmm, I didn't realize that. That's good to know!
You are probably like me, assuming Amazon would release products as good as later launches when they have a new release.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #41
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Chaendaer (well, that's a mountain, not exactly an oasis)
I have a rule I have to be able to pronounce it

The other names are interesting too, thank you
Old 07-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #42
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Also curious on the warm light feature (not impressed by the Fire's though, I've heard that's not as good).

The fire has the WORST implementation of color temp adjustment that I've ever seen on any device -- BY FAR.

I can't speak for the Oasis, but I love having the color temp adjustment on my Clara -- it's the primary reason why I switched, and I don't regret it at all.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #43
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The fire has the WORST implementation of color temp adjustment that I've ever seen on any device -- BY FAR.
Okay good, because I hate it on the fire
Old 07-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #44
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Okay good, because I hate it on the fire
The Oasis warmth settings are nothing at all like the Fire.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:25 AM   #45
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I just ordered an Oasis. I like my Kobo Aura One, have had it since 2016 when it first came out & I will continue to use the Kobo for library books. (Love the integrated Overdrive feature and with recent updates it even alerts me if the wi-fi is on that I have a book ready to download from the library)

The need to download e-books from another source, that is less complicated with a kindle has prompted this.

Luckily, I had a good amount of Amazon gift cards so was able to get the Oasis at reasonable cost. I decided on the Oasis over the PW because I'm used a bigger screen, I am used to the night feature on the KOBO and I do like simple turn buttons.

Paperbackstash, I hope we both have a good Oasis experience.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote