Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
What options are there for 10"+ tablets that can be used as monitors?

I'm aware of Dasung's 13" but based on my budget I will be limited to 10" most likely. I'm aware that using a 10"screen as a monitor will be uncomfortable but the eink aspect would make it worth it for me.
  • Hisense Q5: no english reviews yet but it seems the screen is actually not as comfortable as eink, defeating the point
  • Boox Notes: doesn't seem to have HDMI but could theoretically work with a dock, I'm not sure
  • Likebook Alita: doesn't seem to be usable as a second monitor

Is there anything else out there?

edit: also I would be open to the idea of assembling my own e-ink monitor ghetto-style but since the price gouging on eink screens is the fundamental source of the high prices found with eink products I figure it might be pointless

Last edited by JawadLeLogeur; 06-23-2020 at 04:50 PM.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Almost no actual applications are suitable for eInk. For instance it's impossible to use Firefox, thunderbird, Notepad++, MS Office, Libre Office etc in paged mode rather than "infinite" scroll mode.

The best solution is to never work outdoors, have controlled artificial lighting, non-glare/matte LCD screen and brightness such that white is about the same a paper under the ambient light. Most people have the brightness too high and lights or daylight reflecting of the screen. Do not be facing into lighting or daylight.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Almost no actual applications are suitable for eInk. For instance it's impossible to use Firefox, thunderbird, Notepad++, MS Office, Libre Office etc in paged mode rather than "infinite" scroll mode.

The best solution is to never work outdoors, have controlled artificial lighting, non-glare/matte LCD screen and brightness such that white is about the same a paper under the ambient light. Most people have the brightness too high and lights or daylight reflecting of the screen. Do not be facing into lighting or daylight.
My current setup is that I have a non-glare matte LCD screen with very low brightness and a small degree of orange hue applied with Night Light in Windows. I have my desk next to the window, with the window behind the monitor. I often do focusing exercises thanks to this by looking into the distance to rest the eyes. Is this the sort of thing you meant by facing into daylight?
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Never have the window behind the screen, also it's not great behind you. Be at right angles or fit blinds or curtains.

Unconscious changing of focus distance caused by movement causes headaches. If you don't need glasses, or have properly selected glasses, there is no need to look into the distance.

Make sure the keyboard is near the edge of the desk and you are close to it so that the screen is at your most comfortable reading distance to read a novel for hours.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
If you don't need glasses, or have properly selected glasses, there is no need to look into the distance.
That's not correct.

If you find yourself gazing at screens all day, your eye doctor may have mentioned this rule to you. Basically, every 20 minutes spent using a screen, you should try to look away at something that is 20 feet away from you for a total of 20 seconds.

Taking frequent breaks to look at faraway objects during screen time significantly lessened their eye strain symptoms. In other words, the 20-20-20 rule works.

From here: https://www.healthline.com/health/ey...-rule#research
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:46 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have no problems with my Likebook Alita in A2 Mode.
Boox Nova X should also be able to do this.
But I don't know how I could use these devices as a monitor - possibly via USB OTG.
Quote:
And I can also use it outside in the blazing sunshine.
My Likebook Alita is my garden/sunshine computer.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-25-2020 at 12:57 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
notwaiting
notwaiting began at the beginning.

Device: mimas a2 a5 max2
i would think the Hisense Q5 with a matte screen protector is probably the best bet if the HDMI port allows it. I'm thinking of getting one but it's hard to decide between that and colour eink phones.

I used the Likebook Mimas as a monitor (wifi/vnc) for a few months before getting a Max2, and the combination of the slowness over wifi and the screen size strained my eyes after a bit, but it was "ok". Eink is good as monitor if you can replace all mouse related actions. I use linux+xmonad.

Two of them side by side would be alright probably.
notwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote