Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Help with 'I'm reading' page

My upgrade went smoothly but I still have all of my finished books showing as new with a note under each saying what chapter I am on.

I went through each one again to the last page hoping it would stick now that we have the upgrade. I even went into the kobobooks site library and paged through to the end of all of the finished books.

After syncing it is back the way it was. Both the reader and the online library showing me being in the middle of all these books.

The reader also highlights as "I'm reading" (which used to show as the book I am reading now) some other book that I had simply 'opened'.

Is there something I am missing that I need to do to fix this? Thanks.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Are the affected books ones you purchases from Kobo and loaded on with the desktop app? ADE?

I had about 50 DRM-FREE, regular epubs on my Kobo when I upgraded, and they all remained safely tucked away in the bookshelf. The two I had open before the update are the ones that stayed on my reading list.

Have you tried removing these books from the Kobo, and reloading them back on? Maybe the update does something funky with the database that causes these problems (a couple other people have mentioned similar problems). I'll try playing around with some of the Free Kobo books when I have a second and report back
(At least I can do this now without the sync messing up my other books!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

This was happening before the upgrade so I just waited it out (after several times going in both with the reader and the online library and paging to the end of the books.

I guess one option is to delete the books from my library altogether.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Ohhh!!

Yeah, I know BEFORE the update, the desktop app sync would bring all my books back to 'NEW'. After the update, it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. (but again, I only have non-DRM'd, non-Kobo, regular epubs right now)

If you flip to the end of the books and 'finish' them now, after the update, does the sync still bring them back to the reading list?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
wrenn1
Addict

Yes, I tried paging to the end both on the reader and on the online site library. They are all Kobo books. They are back to new. I can live with it I guess....neat freak here....But I used to be able to turn it on and have the book I was currently reading be right there and now I have to look for it. Tiny nuisance.
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi wrenn1,

We're working this as well. For now, it may be easier for you to remove the books from your library using the website as you described. Note that you will always have access to the books you have already purchased (even if you remove from your library).

Once you remove, you should wait for about 30 minutes to be safe and update your desktop application library again, and those books should be gone.

Hope that helps for now.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Hi, I removed two purchased Kobo books on the website (because one of them loaded with blank chapters and I was trying to fix that issue.) Then I moved them to "I am Reading" on the website again, and synced. I get a message that the books are downloaded to the reader, but when I turn on the reader the books aren't there.
How do I get these books back, as you suggested in this message is possible? (You wrote: "Note that you will always have access to the books you have already purchased, even if you remove from your library"). Again, these are books I purchased from Kobo.
Thanks for your help.
PS I cannot use Adobe Digital Editions to get the books into the reader because ADE won't recognize my Kobo now that I've upgraded the firmware.
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
wrenn1
Addict

Books always remain in "purchased books" or whatever the name is for that page even if you remove them from your library. If they are in your library and you updated library on the desktop app they should add (mine did after upgrade). I wonder if they went into "books by title" instead of "I'm reading" on the reader?

Hope you get some answers
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreyR View Post
Hi, I removed two purchased Kobo books on the website (because one of them loaded with blank chapters and I was trying to fix that issue.) Then I moved them to "I am Reading" on the website again, and synced. I get a message that the books are downloaded to the reader, but when I turn on the reader the books aren't there.
How do I get these books back, as you suggested in this message is possible? (You wrote: "Note that you will always have access to the books you have already purchased, even if you remove from your library"). Again, these are books I purchased from Kobo.
Thanks for your help.
PS I cannot use Adobe Digital Editions to get the books into the reader because ADE won't recognize my Kobo now that I've upgraded the firmware.
I've forwarded this to our QA team to see if they have seen this issue in their travels. I'll let you know when I get a response.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
DoreyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I wonder if they went into "books by title" instead of "I'm reading" on the reader?

Hope you get some answers
Hi wrenn1,
Thank you for this suggestion. I did look in the "books by title" section but they are not there either.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
DoreyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I've forwarded this to our QA team to see if they have seen this issue in their travels. I'll let you know when I get a response.
Hi,
Thank you very much for looking into this pesky little bug. It's a frustrating one!
Cheers!