Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
Question about the place where books are stored

I use Calibre only for transfering ebooks to my device. So the library of the books on my device is always the same as my Calibre library.
I store my ebook collection in directories on my HD, f.i. Fiction with subdirectories literature, historical fiction, crime etc and finally in those sections per author a final subdirectory. That system suits me fine. However it could be useful to create a Calibre library of the whole collection but I wonder if it is possible to do so but leaving the books in the directory structure where they are. If they are also added in the Calibre directory, that gives a lot of redundancy.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
higgs
Connoisseur
higgs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW3
Yes and no.
Yes, you can add your book collection to Calibre while leaving the original books in the existing directory structure.
No, You cannot avoid or stop Calibre making a copy and storing it in its own directory structure.

Have a read here and in particular the spoiler section for a complete answer;
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119175
higgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Thank you Higgs, a clear answer. I also read the spoiler section in the link. It all makes sense. When I don’t want to part with my file directory system, I have to take the redundancy for granted I suppose.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
higgs
Connoisseur
higgs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW3
Is there a specific reason you want to keep your file directory system. You'll probably find that whatever you are using it for can be done at least as well if not better within Calibre.

The biggest advantage I find is that books can be in multiple categories/tags within Calibre and you can search by any of these and find it. Whereas in a file directory system you can only put a book in a single folder(e.g do historical crime fiction books go under Historical Fiction or under Crime?)
higgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgs View Post
Is there a specific reason you want to keep your file directory system. You'll probably find that whatever you are using it for can be done at least as well if not better within Calibre.
Not when you don't have access to a computer or Calibre server.

I'm grateful for the Save to Disk function as it allows me to export ebooks to Dropbox with a path that's easily navigable on my mobile devices.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

I'm grateful for the Save to Disk function as it allows me to export ebooks to Dropbox with a path that's easily navigable on my mobile devices.
OR: copy the calibre library to dropbox then use calibre companion on your mobile devices. it understands the library structure and will let you browse/download from the dropbox cloud copy to any device you have it installed on
I use free file sync to mirror ( one way sync) my calibre library into dropbox , daily, then I can use CC to download books to tablets when library PC is off.

Dropbox is my cloud solution of choice ( it also saves and syncs my last page read & annotations from Moon+ reader ) , but CC supports several cloud solutions
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:01 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
[ . . . ] but CC supports several cloud solutions
The Android version (unsure about the IOS version) also supports having the calibre library on an external drive - i.e. a cloud in your pocket.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
OR: copy the calibre library to dropbox then use calibre companion on your mobile devices. it understands the library structure and will let you browse/download from the dropbox cloud copy to any device you have it installed on
I use free file sync to mirror ( one way sync) my calibre library into dropbox , daily, then I can use CC to download books to tablets when library PC is off.

Dropbox is my cloud solution of choice ( it also saves and syncs my last page read & annotations from Moon+ reader ) , but CC supports several cloud solutions
My preferred reader (Marvin for iOS) doesn't play nice with Calibre Companion.

I read fanfics which are updated pretty often. If I send a book that already exists in my Marvin library from CC, I would just get a message that the book already exists in my library. To replace it with an updated version, I'd have to search for the book in Marvin, delete it, go back to CC and send it to Marvin again. Meanwhile, if I use Marvin's built-in Dropbox support it'll just ask me if I want to overwrite the book in the library which is much simpler.

On the reading front (layout, controls, etc), Marvin's the reader I liked most and I've tried several (Mantano/Bookari, MapleRead, Hyphen, iBooks, etc). I decided to just work around Marvin's limitations and stick to Save to Disk+Dropbox.

And honestly, I'm not a big fan of CC on iOS. It seems behind on features and more buggy compared to its Android counterpart. I actually prefer to use the web interface of Calibre Server or chaley's own Calibre-PHP server over CC.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:

I use Calibre2OPDS & Updog for this. It saves to dropbox with all the menus (Recent, by Author etc) all automagically set up so I can download (via my OPDS Library on Dropbox) from anywhere. It's a bit geeky to setup but oh, so worth it!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I use Calibre2OPDS & Updog for this. It saves to dropbox with all the menus (Recent, by Author etc) all automagically set up so I can download (via my OPDS Library on Dropbox) from anywhere. It's a bit geeky to setup but oh, so worth it!
Nah, the issue is my current preferred reading app cannot overwrite existing books (frequently needed for fanfics) from sources other than built-in direct Dropbox access. If that weren't an issue, I would just use Calibre's built-in server or Calibre-PHP (search is invaluable for me).

That was one thing Stanza (for iOS) handled beautifully. OPDS integration in Stanza felt almost like having Calibre on the iPhone. You can seamlessly download/update/read books directly from the Calibre OPDS feeds. It's just too bad Amazon acquired Lexcycle and killed the app.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Odyssee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgs View Post
Yes I also asked myself this question. I guess mostly because I am thoroughly used to my file directory system. I can easily find everything. I make a list with Directory List Print Pro which I store in dropbox so I can check always and everywhere if a book is already in my collection etc.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
Yes I also asked myself this question. I guess mostly because I am thoroughly used to my file directory system. I can easily find everything. I make a list with Directory List Print Pro which I store in dropbox so I can check always and everywhere if a book is already in my collection etc.
Treat Calibre as your Personal LIBRARIAN who will find your requested (by search terms) book and deliver it to your device/viewer /folder

As for a list:
Right-click On the Convert Icon: Catalog

You have choices as to : e-book (w/wo covers), CSV. You can leave-move that anywhere you want
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
As for a list:
Right-click On the Convert Icon: Catalog

You have choices as to : e-book (w/wo covers), CSV. You can leave-move that anywhere you want
Question, how do you create an AZW3 or EPUB catalog with description but without covers? I can't seem to find that setting/switch in either GUI or CLI.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Question, how do you create an AZW3 or EPUB catalog with description but without covers? I can't seem to find that setting/switch in either GUI or CLI.
You can make it smaller
but if you want Zero covers, use CSV, TAB (delimited?) or format it with your spread sheet

OR
Use the CLI calibredb --list <set options>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can make it smaller
but if you want Zero covers, use CSV, TAB (delimited?) or format it with your spread sheet

OR
Use the CLI calibredb --list <set options>
I've already read the manual and checked calibredb catalog --help. Also, I believe that's supposed to be calibredb list.

I want EPUB output (so I can use it with my reader). Unfortunately, generating cover thumbnails takes a long time (2K+ library). What I do right now is create a copy of the library (metadata.db + folder structure, no ebooks), remove all covers and generate the catalog.