Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Bobb_o
Bobb_o began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is uneven lighting on the bottom of Aura One normal?

I tried to take a photo but it doesn't come out well.

On the bottom of the Aura One I just bought there's a bit of a discoloration/uneven lighting that's noticeable when under ~75% brightness. It's not the entire bottom of the device but mostly the middle third around where the footer says chapter and then a few lines up from there.

It's a little distracting and I'm wondering if that's just how the screen and front lights are of if it's worth me trying to get a replacement.
Bobb_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Do you mean when natural light is on?

I had the trouble with an Aura One, tried 4 units they all had the problem. There is a specific thread about that, it's a known issue with the aura One...

Good luck
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
sladflob
Connoisseur
sladflob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura One
The bottom of mine looks a little like a crinkled piece of paper. You can't really see it if there's even a little ambient light, but it does make it annoying to use the reader in total darkness, especially as I like to use full-screen mode with small margins.

It's the second one I've had - I returned the first one because of the uneven lighting but this one's not much better. I've been wondering if recent models still have the same problem as I have a little time left on my warranty and have thought about returning it again. But I otherwise love the reader and use it a lot so am reluctant to do without it.
sladflob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Here's the thread datanoise refers to: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296685
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
its normal on most kobo devices lol i have a h2o and mine has it also but ill keep it because its not a big problem.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Just bought a second hand h2o2 and lightning is even, even in "natural light" mode. I think the problem is specific of the One, didn't hear as many people complaining with other models.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
Just bought a second hand h2o2 and lightning is even, even in "natural light" mode. I think the problem is specific of the One, didn't hear as many people complaining with other models.
oh i can see it but its minimal... like i can see some small differences in the top and bottom lighting but like i said its not worth it to bring it back but i dont think its a big problem
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
datanoise
Groupie

I guess this is inherent to the tech used for the lightning (where are the leds located, etc.). Problem with the One is green blotches on the screen.. Hard not to notice those when reading!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
DaMoo
-
DaMoo began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
I actually just got my replacement Aura One LE from putting in an RMA about this exact issue. After 3 weeks of bad communication and a warehouse mix-up, my replacement device has the same issue but it is much less noticeable. I'm debating whether or not I want to go through the same RMA hassle to roll the dice again and see if another device has the same issue. Kobo's customer service is abysmal and apparently so is their quality control on the comfort light feature.
DaMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
It is so painfully disappointing that the e-reader that advertises itself as having a relaxing lighting system, turns out to have an uglier, more distracting lighting system than any other e-reader. I'm really disappointed that they made the decision to implement this feature when they clearly did not know how to pull it off consistently, happy to provide a defective product to seemingly about a quarter of their customers. They could have used fixed-colour warm-white LEDs instead of RGB, meaning you would get one consistent "warm white", rather than a variety of useless combinations from green and warm-white, to green and orange. Instead, they stuck with the RGB variable colour system, and cherry-picked the properly-functioning even-lighting units to send to reviewers. Quite a good example of false/misleading advertising.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote