Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #1
Suzanne Massee
Suzanne Massee began at the beginning.

Device: windows 7
Problems setting up a new book on Sigil

In the first section to create a new book I keep on getting this script below, and I cant do anything.
I have uninstalled and uploaded 9.9 but it is still there. I cannot change the section 0001.xhtml, to add or create anything. What has happened??
I can delete the texts but I have a coloured line I cant get rid off, and also numbers down the side of this text. Suzanne

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
</body>
</html>

Last edited by Suzanne Massee; 05-21-2018 at 05:02 AM. Reason: adding Sigil
Suzanne Massee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's called Code View. You have to use valid xhtml code there.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
^^^ What Diap said.

If you are trying to 'write a book' you should use software designed for that. Sigil is designed for taking your book and putting it into an ePub format, or editing it once it is in that format.

Code view shows you the <html> tags and css styling to make the book look, and perform, how you want. You will need to know some basic html coding and css styling rules to do this. There are several tutorials to quickly get you up to speed on how to do this.

Cheers,
Dion
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
Suzanne Massee
Suzanne Massee began at the beginning.

Device: windows 7
Sigil Crashed Saved all the time and now it is gone

Hi
I wrote all day and saved all day, added all the final processes, cover , meta data, and then uploaded the table of contents and lost everything even the saved epub, the system crashed, it said Sigil is not responding, how do I restore or find the file, Please explain easily how to restore, so I can understand your lingo.
Suzanne Massee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:03 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Massee View Post
Hi
I wrote all day and saved all day, added all the final processes, cover , meta data, and then uploaded the table of contents and lost everything even the saved epub, the system crashed, it said Sigil is not responding, how do I restore or find the file, Please explain easily how to restore, so I can understand your lingo.
Suzanne:

I'm sorry, but if you don't know what the "script" is, that you mentioned in the first post, honestly, as nicely as I can say this, you don't have any business using Sigil. What Turtle told you is the best advice--use an authoring program, or writing software, like Scrivener, or just good old Word.

You don't "upload" the Table of Contents, so I'm not sure what you did there.

I don't know WHERE you saved the ePUB that you were working on--you saved, periodically, all day, right? you didn't work all day, and only save at the end, did you? Just open Sigil (or reboot and open Sigil, whatever), and then open Sigil and look for the most-recent file.

If you didn't save all day--I don't know if you'll be able to find it, or if it even exists.

Did you save periodically, Suzanne?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Suzanne, as I mentioned before there are a lot of tutorials that will help give you a basic understanding of what an ebook is; gives references to good authoring software and even gives example ebooks from MobileRead's free library that you can study. These are included in MobileReads wiki.

In that wiki you can also find a section that talks about the issues with creating ebooks: eProduction.

I think you are trying to use a very powerful tool without knowing how it works and are getting frustrated. It takes a little bit to learn how to do this yourself. Look through the tutorials, read Sigil's User Guide, and you will have a much better idea of what's going on.

One BIG piece of advice...don't try and create a book for publication by yourself without knowing all the issues... Authoring software that can "save to ePub" format is only the first step. You need to understand the rest of the process - like what are all the different reading device/apps peculiarities, how to format your book so it passes the intake process of whatever publisher you are using (amazon, smashwords, apple, kobo, etc.), the best way to style your book to take advantage of those publisher's selling features (like amazon's Look Inside). If this is too much to do right now, then talk to a professional ebook designer. It is WELL worth the added expense to avoid the frustration and to make sure you present your brand (your name) in the best way possible. I would PM Hitch...she's in the business and very respected in the community.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Massee View Post
You might be able to recover temporary Sigil files from the Temp folder

To display the Temp folder:
  1. Press +R to display the Run dialog box.
  2. Enter %temp% and press Enter.
  3. Look for folders that start with Sigil, e.g. Sigil-abcdef.
(If you happen to have a Mac you might want to buy Jutoh.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You might be able to recover temporary Sigil files from the Temp folder

To display the Temp folder:
  1. Press +R to display the Run dialog box.
  2. Enter %temp% and press Enter.
  3. Look for folders that start with Sigil, e.g. Sigil-abcdef.
(If you happen to have a Mac you might want to buy Jutoh.)
I just wanted to add that Jutoh is also available for PCs.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cant upload, upload new section