Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
javad0g
javad0g began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Conversion issues between epub and mobi?

Good afternoon/evening everyone,

I certainly want to thank anyone in advance who can point me in the right direction. I am hoping this was the best place to post a question about a file conversion or non-ascii character issue with a converted file on the Amazon Kindle reader (latest generation, 6" base model).

I have a children's book in .epub format that I was hoping would convert to .mobi for my child's reader. The conversion went fine (read: no errors) using EPUB to MOBI (about tab says nothing about a version number).

I am not sure if there is a problem with the original epub? I am not familiar with an epub reader I would be able to install on my x86 based PC (Windows). Is there a general conversion issue between .epub and .mobi? If so, is there a better or more reliable program to use to do file conversion?

Again, thank you for any insight and direction. I certainly appreciate your time. I am an IT guy, but have had very little exposure to eBook files and the conversion between formats.

-Java

**edit**

Spent the time looking into KindleGen (which failed to convert .epub to .mobi correctly) and then into Calibre which had no issues with the conversion process.

Consider this issue solved, and thank you all again, I am so glad I stumbled across this forum while researching a problem. I look forward to reading, sharing and learning.

Last edited by javad0g; 02-24-2014 at 11:35 PM.
javad0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What program did you use to convert, and what problem did you get?

Assuming your .epub was good, there shouldn't be any particular problems with converting to .mobi, to check your epub you may want to install calibre. calibre is an ebook-management and conversion suite, complete with ebook-viewer (reads all formats) which now incorporates an EPUB/AZW3 ebook editor that can be run independently.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert