Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
GeorgeMcCoy
GeorgeMcCoy began at the beginning.

Device: Z22
Sunrise XP file sizes & compression

I just started using Sunrise XP after use Plucker Desktop for a while and I really like it. However, one thing I noticed is that the files that are produced by Sunrise XP are much larger in size than those produced by Plucker Desktop. I have limited storage in my Z22 so this is important for me. Is there a compression setting or something that can reduced the file sizes in Sunrise XP? As far as I can tell I have the same depth and picture resolution selected when running Sunrise XP vs. Plucker Desktop.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Look at Tools/Preferences/Advanced. Under Document Compression Level, make sure Best (smaller documents) is selected.

This should cause Sunrise to use Zlib compatible compression, which is what you want. (It presumes you have sysZlib.prc on your Z22 as well as Plucker.prc.)
_____
Dennis
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
jteay
jteay began at the beginning.

Device: centro, treo 755
compress

Hi I am a new user of Sunrise, I have version 2.03. I have 2 questions.
1. I can't find the Tools/Preferences/Advanced, where should I look?
2. Is this the version I should be using?

Thanks Joel
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteay View Post
Hi I am a new user of Sunrise, I have version 2.03. I have 2 questions.
1. I can't find the Tools/Preferences/Advanced, where should I look?
2. Is this the version I should be using?

Thanks Joel
1. I'm not sure where you heard about that, in my installation of Sunrise, it's "View --> Preferences".

2. Version 2.03 is the latest and greatest (and likely the last version ever as Laurens is no longer actively developing this software).
Old 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Sandi
Sandi began at the beginning.

Device: clie sj20
Can't find compression Sunrise XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68 View Post
1. I'm not sure where you heard about that, in my installation of Sunrise, it's "View --> Preferences".

2. Version 2.03 is the latest and greatest (and likely the last version ever as Laurens is no longer actively developing this software).
I am running Sunrise 2.03 on Windows XP and I also don't see any way to change the compression.

I looked under View --> Preferences, and get two tabs "General" and "Network". Under General there are options to reopen SXL at startup, Fill in URL from clipboard automatically, Close update window automatically, some boxes for maximum active updates and how long updates are retained, and to disable the windows task scheduler integration. Under Network there are options for proxy servers and identifying the user agent.

Under Edit-->Default Properties, there *is* an advanced tab. However, the choices are to use the cache, use cookies, the priority, and whether to include URL info or to display unresolved links. There is a box for link filters.

The other options don't seem any more likely. What am I missing?

Sandi
Advert
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Sandi and jteay, you're not missing anything. I see the same as you.

Doogie or Dennis, can you recheck your procedure and run that by us again?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
Sandi and jteay, you're not missing anything. I see the same as you.

Doogie or Dennis, can you recheck your procedure and run that by us again?
I double-checked my procedure. I had an older version (0.42j) installed that had the option I specified. I don't see it in the current 2.04 version, either.
______
Dennis
Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
Sandi
Sandi began at the beginning.

Device: clie sj20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I double-checked my procedure. I had an older version (0.42j) installed that had the option I specified. I don't see it in the current 2.04 version, either.
______
Dennis
Thanks for checking that. I think 0.42j is Sunrise, not Sunrise XP.

Maybe it is worth it to install Sunrise instead, to get the ability to compress files?

Sandi
Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post

Maybe it is worth it to install Sunrise instead, to get the ability to compress files?

Sandi
It may be.

While I have Sunrise and Sunrise XP installled, I use neither. Sunrise and Sunrise XP were intended as alternatives to the Plucker Desktop supplied as part of Plucker, and I use it.

My primary use for Plucker is creating ebooks from HTML source files in Plucker format. Beyond an early experiment or two, I don't use it to pluck web sites.

I use the Plucker Desktop, which includes the Plucker parser that actually does the HTML->Plucker conversion. Since I'm on Windows, I make my life easier with a freeware tool from Rafael Fetzer called PDA Converter. PDA Converter is a GUI front end for the Plucker parser. It alows me to specify the source files, destination file names and book names as they will appear in the Plucker Library list, the desired category, and details like compression, BW/Gray scale/color and image sizes.

PDA Converter uses the GUI choices to create the proper command lines, then calls the Plucker parser in the background to create the Plucker file for the books. PDA Converter can optionally create Palm doc and zTXT files, and use other things besides HTML as sources.

PDA Converter is here: http://www.jakewalk.de/wiki/pmwiki.p...e.PdaConverter

I don't bother with Hotsync. I grab the generated Plucker files and drop them directly on an SD card in the /Palm/Programs/Plucker directory, then do an Update Library operation in Plucker to make them visible.

I have 3,156 Plucker documents occupying about 1.5GB on a 2GB card. I use the high compression option by default. If I didn't, I would need to expand the Plucker library across two cards, or move to a 4GB card.

If you're on Windows, and your prime interest is Plucker formatted ebooks, my setup might be worth a look.

If you aren't on Windows, you can still use Plucker Desktop, since it's cross-platform and exists for Mac OS/X and Linux, but you'll lose Rafael's utility.
______
Dennis
Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post

Sandi
Laurens just answered the question in another thread here. Sunrise XP creates zlib compressed documents (high compression) by default. Compression is not configurable.
______
Dennis