Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
thingmaker
thingmaker began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Jules Verne - Best Translations

I am now aware that many, if not all, of the versions of Jules Verne I read over the years are deeply flawed. Translations of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" occasionally change not merely details but have a whole added chapter... Other novels omit criticism of British or American policies or manage, apparently, to miss the intent of the original altogether - As the version of "The Purchase of the North Pole", which I read in it's Ace paperback incarnation.
How many of the public domain e-books are reasonably faithful translations?
thingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That's a very good question and one that I would like to know as well. I've seen translation discussions of other works.

Of course, I liked the various translations of the more famous works (Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Mysterious Island, 10,000 Leagues under the Sea, etc) a lot when I was a kid and one can simply enjoy it at that level. I'm not sure how old I was when it dawned on me that those books weren't originally written in English. <grin>
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The 1991 translation by F. P Walter of 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas is excellent. it is/was available in print with illustrations. That's the version that I've read. It was donated to the public domain by the translator and is available in ebook form both at PG and here. HarryT did the original polished versions post here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73926

I believe that the is also a derivative of HarryT's version that adds the original illustration.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Thanks for the pointer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't know how "good" they are, but Baen put out some Verne edited by Ron Miller that are supposed to be new translations that fix numerous errors...
https://www.baen.com/ron-miller-clas...dle-seven.html

Text from the 20,000 Leagues description...
Quote:
Features 26 unique illustrations by Ron Miller including cutaway views and schematics of the Natuilus, accurate maps, and details of Verne’s diving suits
Includes appendices, annotations, and other additional information by editor Ron Miller
Now with an Historical Afterword by Ron Miller
Unabridged version

Featured in Ron Miller’s “The Conquest of Space Book Series.” This special edition of Jules Verne's classic novel corrects more than 3000 errors in the original 1872 English translation and replaces the 23% of text that had been expurgated by the original translator for political, ideological and other reasons.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote