Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
ichinagam
ichinagam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile How to Save App and Library

I'm a new Calibre user, and I just used a plug-in to load all my purchased ePUB books into Calibre and removed the DRM. I now want to store all of this onto a DVD--not just the ebooks themselves, but the application, viewer, etc. so that I can just pop the DVD into my laptop and view the books whenever I want to, without taking up storage on my hard drive. I'm not sure if the "save to disk" feature will do this for me, and if yes, what "save to disk" option I should select. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
ichinagam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre needs Read Write capability. A DVD is a write once media.

Consider a pocket HD similar to the WD Elements. Small, but has a decent performance.
If performance is not needed, just use a Large Capacity Pen Drive (or SD card if your laptop has a slot)

BTW Calibre Portable is probably what yo want. Just Move your Library there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use calibre portable https://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

but not on a DVD ona USB disk or flash drive, as theducks said
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
ichinagam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can use calibre portable https://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

but not on a DVD ona USB disk or flash drive, as theducks said
Thank you very much for the referral to calibre portable. I already have a calibre library based on using the regular calibre application. Can I use that library with the portable app without any modifications?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
ichinagam

Ducks:

I haven't thought about the Read/Write issue--of course you're right. I think I'll try the calibre portable as another responder recommended. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
ichinagam

Addendum to Question to kovidgoyal about Calibre Portable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichinagam View Post
Thank you very much for the referral to calibre portable. I already have a calibre library based on using the regular calibre application. Can I use that library with the portable app without any modifications?
One added piece of information. I installed Calibre portable onto a USB drive and opened up the app. Only the Introductory Help file was visible. I was hoping that I could import the existing regular Calibre library into the portable library. How do I do that or is there a better way to the end result that I want?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One added piece of information. I installed Calibre portable onto a USB drive and opened up the app. Only the Introductory Help file was visible. I was hoping that I could import the existing regular Calibre library into the portable library. How do I do that or is there a better way to the end result that I want?
Copy your existing library into the 'Calibre Portable' folder on the USB drive - at the same level as 'calibre-portable.exe' - do not create a subfolder for it. The libraries MUST be in the Calibre Portable folder.

Now fire up calibre portable and use the Library->Switch/Create library tool to browse to that library folder, set the 'Use the previously existing library at the new location' radio button, and press enter.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
ichinagam

BR--Thank you for the advice. I just have an additional question. When I copy the pre-existing regular Calibre Library onto the USB, the system asks me if I want to merge it with the portable Calibre Library folder. Am I doing something wrong; am I at the wrong level?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BR--Thank you for the advice. I just have an additional question. When I copy the pre-existing regular Calibre Library onto the USB, the system asks me if I want to merge it with the portable Calibre Library folder. Am I doing something wrong; am I at the wrong level?
Don't merge the folders.

Rename it before you copy it to something like My Library, then in Create/Switch libraries browse to ?:\Calibre Portable\My Library

I think you need someone to sit with you for half an hour or so to give you some basic guidance on using Windows. Maybe there are some video's you could watch on Youtube. I can't recommend any because I never watch instructional videos.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
ichinagam

I Got It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Don't merge the folders.

Rename it before you copy it to something like My Library, then in Create/Switch libraries browse to ?:\Calibre Portable\My Library

I think you need someone to sit with you for half an hour or so to give you some basic guidance on using Windows. Maybe there are some video's you could watch on Youtube. I can't recommend any because I never watch instructional videos.

BR
BR:

A Windows tutorial isn't necesssary--I understand the process now and I did it! I have the USB I wanted. Thanks a million!

Tags
calibre library, dvd storage