Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
The Da Vinci Code author talks about e-books at CES

Sony's Sir Howard Stringer invited The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown on stage today at the Consumer Electronics Show to talk about e-books during a presentation about Sony's new Reader. According to Engadget, who are covering the event live, here are a few snippets of what Mr. Brown had to say on the subject of e-books:

Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code, comes out to talk about e-books.

"In 1997, my first novel, Digital Fortress, appeared on the first e-book bestseller list. It was the number one selling e-book on the planet with about 12 copies."

"E-books offer me features that traditional books do not. If I'm on a trip for research, I can bring an enormous number of books with me. If I want a new book, I can download it even if it's two o'clock in the morning and no book stores are open."

"E-books will be great for authors, especially lesser known authors. Companies will be able to take risks on lesser-known authors. There will be more books in print, and more choices."

"For the new generation, e-books will be as natural to them as television is to us. E-books are here. I believe they are her to say. Welcome to the wonderful world of choice."

You can see photos of Sir Howard holding the Reader, Dan Brown on stage, and read the full text of Engadget's coverage here.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Even though I am partial to his works, as long as he is supporting the cause of e-books, he is on my side.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
I've read or listened to three of his books, and it's great to see a best-selling author get behind e-books. From the quotes at Engadget, it didn't sound like he was endorsing Sony's Reader per se, but was talking more about the future of the e-book medium and its benefits to readers and authors alike.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brown
"E-books will be great for authors, especially lesser known authors. Companies will be able to take risks on lesser-known authors. There will be more books in print, and more choices."

"For the new generation, e-books will be as natural to them as television is to us. E-books are here. I believe they are her to say. Welcome to the wonderful world of choice."
Which translates into irrelevance for publishers. Why do publishers need to exist in an eBook market where an author can go from word processor to Amazon.com in a click to sell his eBook?

eBooks are a benefit for everyone: except for the current publishing industry and they will certainly try everything they can to keep eBooks from getting popular.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote