Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer your ebook to start?
Cover 74 69.81%
Title page 5 4.72%
Table of contents 0 0%
Foreword or preface 2 1.89%
Epigraph 1 0.94%
Main reading content (e.g., the introduction, if one exists, or first chapter, if no introduction) 10 9.43%
I don't care 14 13.21%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I am soooo glad I cured myself of the need to edit every ebook I buy before reading it.
I don't have your editing chops, but, yeah. I used to waste way too much good reading time curating my Calibre library. I don't even have Calibre on my current computer. I prefer eink, so I buy from Kobo when possible; when I buy from Amazon I read on my Fire Tablet. Life is so much easier.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I agree with you re: the intros. Back in high school I was spoiled for the outcome of a classic book - I was new to such things and didn't know they often contained spoilers. I find it often works better for me to read any introductory material after I've finished the main book.
Yes, exactly! Most forewords are really spoilery afterwords. Even for classics. Everyone has to read a classic for the first time before they can re-read it.

Quote:
If you have access to an Overdrive library, they usually have substantial samples of the main content.
Thanks, I'll look into that because this happens to me too often.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I start with the cover and work my way through to the story. It's ritual I developed way back when, and I've not felt the need to change just because I'm now using an ereader.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I start with the cover and work my way through to the story. It's ritual I developed way back when, and I've not felt the need to change just because I'm now using an ereader.
+1

I got into using e-readers when my motor skills started declining. Now that paper books are a last resort, I like to keep something of the tradition alive, at least.

Last edited by stuartjmz; 01-31-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I prefer to start with the cover, and at least glance at the frontmatter before I start reading. I also like to know the year the book was first published before I start reading, which is usually on the copyright page.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 PM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yes, exactly! Most forewords are really spoilery afterwords. Even for classics. Everyone has to read a classic for the first time before they can re-read it.

Thanks, I'll look into that because this happens to me too often.
Another to try is a Google Books search (not the same thing as the Google Play bookstore) - many books have previews.

address for Google Books is https://books.google.com/
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I like to start at the cover. It's easy to page through the also by, copyright, etc. And I like to read the dedication page, acknowledgements, etc.

Automatically starting at chapter 1 is irksome to me especially when it skips the prologue (if there is one).
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't have your editing chops, but, yeah. I used to waste way too much good reading time curating my Calibre library. I don't even have Calibre on my current computer. I prefer eink, so I buy from Kobo when possible; when I buy from Amazon I read on my Fire Tablet. Life is so much easier.
To each his own. I enjoy fiddling with my library and books almost as much as I enjoy reading. So what if I have less reading time because of that? I don't feel the need to read every free minute I get. Sometimes I enjoy watching Netflix instead, or playing with my cats, or managing my library. And sometimes I enjoy reading. It really depends on my mood.

I used to read all the time when I was younger, often 8-10 hours straight. But there were few other entertainments at the time. Now I pretty often find I'm not in the mood for reading at all, but, say, in the mood for tinkering.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
...they usually only give you a short excerpt to preview. All too often, this preview begins with the introduction of a book and so the actual preview of the main content is cut, and often the introduction is so long that the entire preview is of introductory materials. It's really ridiculous.
The Ender's Game preview at Amazon is like that. The preview is over before you even get out of the introduction.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #25
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
To each his own. I enjoy fiddling with my library and books almost as much as I enjoy reading. So what if I have less reading time because of that? I don't feel the need to read every free minute I get. Sometimes I enjoy watching Netflix instead, or playing with my cats, or managing my library. And sometimes I enjoy reading. It really depends on my mood.
Me, too, Sirtel. I really like organizing my Calibre library and editing my ebooks to my preferred style. You're not alone!
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #26
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I guess I don't care. I start reading wherever it opens when I click on the book icon.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #27
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've been reading on the Kindle/Kindle app recently and it always opens at the beginning of the story, which I find annoying. I always go back to the cover and start from there. I like to look at its design/artwork. I also like to read the publishing info and any acknowledgements and check out the Table of Contents if there is one, to see if there are any appendices that have information that I could use before I actually read the book.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #28
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Not only do I prefer to start with the cover, I would also love if the cover was the lock screen when I open my device. My Sony -- my last e-ink before switching to iPad for my reading device -- did that.

Currently, opening my cover turns on the iPad on the page where I left off (if I didn't close the app before closing the cover) and I wish it instead opened to the book cover and swiping returned me to the page I last read.

If I back out of the book, and go to the home page, then I can select the book's cover there, and I get a brief flash of it full size as the book opens, but I would prefer to see it every time I go into the book, no matter how I left off.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Exactly! I have to have something to occupy my time while the better half is watching RuPaul's Drag Race. I don't want to go to a different room and can't exactly play a loud computer game or read. But messing around with my Calibre library or checking book formatting in Sigil is a nice enough diversion for me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Not only do I prefer to start with the cover, I would also love if the cover was the lock screen when I open my device. My Sony -- my last e-ink before switching to iPad for my reading device -- did that.
Kobos show the cover as the sleep screen. I do like that and miss it when I use my Nook.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote