Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-23-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Google audiobooks DRM-free?

I never realized this! It's possible that it's a recent addition or I just never knew. The Digital Reader educated me, based on a post from Cory Doctorow's Boing Boing.

Quote:
You can find the download option in the audiobooks tab in the "My Books" section of the Google Play website.

Simply click the 3-dot menu icon for a given ebook, and then select the export option.
Not all books are DRM-free, however. You'll have to look at each book, click the "details" section, and look for the "export option" as available or not available.

I tested it out, and for at least the one I tested I got a 64 bps m4a file. This is good news to me, though not a perfect option. I might actually have to start checking out Google's sales in the future.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I wonder if that's a loophole that will be soon closed up? I can't imagine publishers to be happy that there's not DRM on audiobooks that have DRM at other sites (Audible).
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I wonder if that's a loophole that will be soon closed up? I can't imagine publishers to be happy that there's not DRM on audiobooks that have DRM at other sites (Audible).
Generally the trend has moved towards DRM-free options. The only places that still use DRM are Audible (and Apple, as they get their content from Audible), B&N, and Kobo. Downpour, eStories, Libro.fm, Audiobooks.com, and all of the publisher sites (Tantor, Harlequin, Books in Motion, etc.) are all DRM-free.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, as annoying as Audible's DRM is, it's really just an annoyance. I routinely pull down a copy of every book I buy from them and convert to m4b for archival and backup purposes.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, as annoying as Audible's DRM is, it's really just an annoyance. I routinely pull down a copy of every book I buy from them and convert to m4b for archival and backup purposes.
True, but if I can choose who I give my money to, I'll choose the ones who respect me as a customer and don't inconvenience me. I buy the occasional Audible exclusive or Whispersync offer if the price is right, but that's about it. I didn't even take advantage of the $4.95 Prime special.
Advert
Old 07-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Generally the trend has moved towards DRM-free options. The only places that still use DRM are Audible (and Apple, as they get their content from Audible), B&N, and Kobo. Downpour, eStories, Libro.fm, Audiobooks.com, and all of the publisher sites (Tantor, Harlequin, Books in Motion, etc.) are all DRM-free.
Kobo is DRM-free if you use an older version of the Kobo app to download. The files are mp3, though you need to add that extension to the files to open them.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Kobo is DRM-free if you use an older version of the Kobo app to download. The files are mp3, though you need to add that extension to the files to open them.
You are absolutely correct; I should have clarified. My intent is that their current policy (i.e. most recent app) is to use DRM, which puts them in the minority.

It does make me think of a question, though. I wonder which publishers insist on DRM? Are those same publishers available from any of the DRM-free options? If so, what's the point?
Old 07-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
True, but if I can choose who I give my money to, I'll choose the ones who respect me as a customer and don't inconvenience me. I buy the occasional Audible exclusive or Whispersync offer if the price is right, but that's about it. I didn't even take advantage of the $4.95 Prime special.
Fair enough, and when I have a choice, I often choose away from Audible. The catch is -- the Audible selection and app are head and shoulders above most others, and the flexibility to pick up on a different device without losing my place is a real plus. So, generally, I don't have another option that works as well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Fair enough, and when I have a choice, I often choose away from Audible. The catch is -- the Audible selection and app are head and shoulders above most others, and the flexibility to pick up on a different device without losing my place is a real plus. So, generally, I don't have another option that works as well.
As long as I can format shift audible books to mp3, I'll use audible until someone else comes along and gives me a reason to switch. I've been with audible since 2005 and have a grandfathered $10 a year account. The only issue that I have with audible is that their app doesn't have playlist and thus isn't suited to being used in the car. Thus, I convert the books to mp3 and put them in an iTunes playlist.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #10
skinmaan
Wizard

Confirmed this is a new feature!

https://play.google.com/store/books/...p_abooks?hl=en
Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Thanks! Glad to have another source of audiobooks.

I'm not too happy with trying to navigate the site--is there a way to browse by price, other than the "under $10" section?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote