Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
trott3r
Enthusiast
trott3r began at the beginning.

Device: kobo sage considering boox
Best format to convert pdf to on the Sony

Hello,

first post after buying my second hand sony 505.

I would like to convert some pdf files to be more readable on the sony 505 is there a particular format that works best with the 505?

I am using calibre to do the conversion in case that matters.

thanks for your time

Martin N
trott3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Hi,

it's LRF.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yep, I find LRF best.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
trott3r
Enthusiast

Thanks for the LRF tip.

Martin
Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
trott3r
Enthusiast

Doesnt help with either the sony quick start guide or a magazine pdf i have.

Is there another programme that i can use to format it to something that the sony can do a better job with? Tried openoffice but there is no import as pdf. Foxit and adobe reader 8 dont save in pdf format.

thanks
Martin
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

A lot depends on whether it is a scanned image type of PDF or a PDF with text. The former never seems to convert well at all in my limited experience. The latter tends to convert better, but I've yet to get one to be very readable, especially using calibre. I usually get garbage out. I tried about 10 PDFs of different types then gave up. Let's face it, PDFs were never intended for reading. They were intended to be printed at a specific size. Some 15+ years later Adobe has added some features and improvements, but PDFs are still difficult to view even on a PC with a large monitor. Without reflowable text, they will be garbage on readers with 6" screens, and barely tolerable on readers with 10" screens.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
You might wish to play around with this method. This involves keeping the file in PDF format, but stripping the borders to make it more readable. I found this method in another section of this forum. Many thanks to those who made it.

Unzip the 'soPDF Bundle' file and have the 2 files in the same folder.

Run 'sopdfwin.exe' (its a graphical interface). Browse to find your input pdf file in the first box. Press 'Process' and it's done. (The original file is preserved and the new file is renamed.)

What the program does is crop the margins and chop the page length to fit the ereader screen.

Of course, you will have problems with graphics. Works best with straight text.

Experiment with the different options and also with the zoom levels on your reader, and you may find that it works not badly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip soPDF_Bundle.zip (1.10 MB, 285 views)
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
I have used lrf and epub, and I find the conversion to epub is better as
it is invariably smaller in size and allows me to add much more to the PRS-300, the final output is as good as I would want it.

I think the only advantage to lrf that I miss (and there may be others for you) is the full left and right text justification. But the almost double the number of books and a slight increase in speed in handling epub does it for me.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A lot depends on whether it is a scanned image type of PDF or a PDF with text. The former never seems to convert well at all in my limited experience. The latter tends to convert better, but I've yet to get one to be very readable, especially using calibre. I usually get garbage out. I tried about 10 PDFs of different types then gave up. Let's face it, PDFs were never intended for reading. They were intended to be printed at a specific size. Some 15+ years later Adobe has added some features and improvements, but PDFs are still difficult to view even on a PC with a large monitor. Without reflowable text, they will be garbage on readers with 6" screens, and barely tolerable on readers with 10" screens.
I make my own PDFs for my ereader. I've found them to be very readable on my ereader as long as I set the page size to the same size as my ereader's screen (3.5" x 4.75"). When I do that the ebook will appear on my computer screen exactly as it will appear on my ereader. I agree that the results are usually not very good when the PDF is not sized for an ereader's screen.

The main reason I use PDF as my format of choice for my ereader is that it gives me complete format control over my ebooks and they appear on my ereader exactly as I intended. This is something I've not found with any other format.

While I lose the ability to increase the size of the text on my ereader (while reflow is available I don't like the results), the format control is worth the tradeoff. With experience, I come to be able to format my ebooks in a way that looks great at the default (small) setting on my ereader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
trott3r
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
You might wish to play around with this method. This involves keeping the file in PDF format, but stripping the borders to make it more readable. I found this method in another section of this forum. Many thanks to those who made it.

Unzip the 'soPDF Bundle' file and have the 2 files in the same folder.

Run 'sopdfwin.exe' (its a graphical interface). Browse to find your input pdf file in the first box. Press 'Process' and it's done. (The original file is preserved and the new file is renamed.)

What the program does is crop the margins and chop the page length to fit the ereader screen.

Of course, you will have problems with graphics. Works best with straight text.

Experiment with the different options and also with the zoom levels on your reader, and you may find that it works not badly.
thanks for the utility kind of improves things slightly for a minidisc recorder manual.

What does the overlap percentage do?
(there is no readme in the archive)

Martin N
Old 09-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
What does the overlap percentage do?
(there is no readme in the archive)
No idea. There never were any instructions included.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote