Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I don't have an American CC so I only spent my initial $50 credit there. You can use Calibre, it doesn't interfere with eBook Library (as long as you run only one program at a time when Reader is connected).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Thanks Igorsk and everyone for your help!!!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have no trouble using LRF files on my Sony Reader. In fact as I have a pRS-500 this is the only format produces by Calibre that I can use on the Reader.

In terms of the free books available via the Sony store, I believe they they are all available for free download elsewhere from sites such as Project Gutenberg
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
eljacob
eljacob began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I use calibre to manage my entire book collection, but from time to time I do buy some books from Sony Store.

I read some posts not recommending to use both softwares together, but I decided to try something, and it is working so far:

- I keep all books I purchased from Sony Store in the device's internal memory

- I keep all books I manage with calibre (all the rest, including books I purchase from other sites, manuals, technical stuff, etc...) in a SD card.

- whenever I decide to buy a book from Sony Store I first remove the SD from the device, connect it to the computer, buy and transfer the book to the internal memory, and disconnect again.

- only after disconnecting the device from the computer I insert the SD back, the device scan its contents for a minute or two, and everything is there.

I don't know if it is really necessary to remove the SD card, or if it would be enough to simply keep the libraries apart, each one manage by a different application, but I decided to remove the card just in case.

I am not 100% sure this will always work, but I have done this a few times (maybe 8 to 10 times, I am not buying Sony books everyday) and so far so good...
eljacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
@ Mitchll, thanks for the reply. Basically the same question as above and:
Do you have both Sony books and other books in your Calibre Library which you then load to you device via Calibre?[/QUOTE]

Yes, My Calibre library is mixed, both Sony and non, and all load via calibre to my sony reader!
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #21
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I do pretty much what eljacob said. My purchased LRX books (copied to the Reader using Sony's software) are on the machine itself. My "home-made" LRF books (copied to the Reader SD card using Calibre) are on my SD card.

For the person who said using Calibre with LRF will cause the Reader to reset, the link specifically addresses news feeds created in LRF. Don't know why there's a different, but I have over 500 books on my SD card - all "home-made" LRFs that I've transferred there using Calibre. I love what it does with "collections" using the Calibre tags.

I have not attempted moving my LRX copies to Calibre. Didn't think it was possible, although I see uplist there's a reply from someone who said he's doing it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
It looks like google books has made an alliance with sony, so now you can get epup format books from the sony store thanks to google. Nice to have access to books in the 18 century and even older ! Oh yeah and all for free !

Funny sony is allowing google to use the epub format on their online software !

Last edited by Student1; 03-19-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #23
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

YAY!! Update!
I re-installed my Sony Library, and guess what! All my books are still there and all my credits and 500'000 other FREE books to choose from!
Thanks everyone for your input! I think a lot of Sony and Calibre users, think it is either one OR the other. I have been scouring the forum here for weeks, trying to find out the answer.

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-20-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #24
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
500 000 books ...yay
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #25
HenryP
Enthusiast
HenryP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hello,
This may be an inappropriate post but since the thread's current and involves discussion of LRF format in Calibre, I'm dropping in to ask if someone can clarify an ongoing confusion I've experienced, which is this:
the regular expression used to isolate chapters in an input file defaults to picking out headings 1 or 2.
Neither of the Firefox files I'm able to generate - those from Word on the one hand and Open Office on the other - picks out chapters by the use of Heading1 or Heading2 but only where the attribute class = 'Heading' occurs (in the case of Word files) and where the attribute size = '3' occurs (in odt derived input files).
I've managed to get Calibre to generate a Table of Contents by picking out one or the other of these attributes for both mobi and epub Calibre output files. But I fall foul of the gods in expressing the syntax required for generating an LRF Calibre output file that will create a Table of Contents.
The LRF output is otherwise okay (except that some bizarre font size alterations occur in the endnotes).
I'd like to launch my ebook in all three formats come April Fools' Day and would appreciate any help generating an LRF file that is as good as the mobi and epub format output files.
I imagine there's a straightforward approach to solving this problem and would prefer not to look a fool on April 1st so throw me a lifeline if you're across the topic of chapter detection, please.

henryp
HenryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #26
dragonbone
must love dogs

No idea!! Maybe you should start a new thread, so that the bright sparks can see it and answer.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the detect chapter at tag option and enter in the field

.*,class,Heading
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
DAG
DAG began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
Back on topic I have found that I don't like the Sony Library because its like putting your books in a black hole, you can "only" transfer them to the reader and if you have other kinds of readers forget about them. But if you buy your books from other vendors and use Calibre you have other options. I use a Sony, Kindle and Palm so I like to have options also Sony is slow to get the books I like.
DAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #29
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
To respond to the original question, I use Calibre mostly, but I have also purchased books in the Sony store and downloaded freebies. In some cases, I have added them to the Reader (700) with the Sony software. But mostly I import the books into Calibre and add them from there. (Partly so that I can Tag them to fit my Collections, partly because I vastly prefer Calibre to the Sony program.)

I've never had a problem. But I also never use both programs at the same time.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #30
dragonbone
must love dogs

UPDATE on using Sony Library and Calibre.
Firstly I want to thank everyone for for their helpful tips and advice etc. It works!
I am now successfully using both Calibre and Sony Library. I had already formatted my Reader twice and didn't feel like doing it again, (and since I already had quite a few books in Calibre and already on my reader, and only wanted to download a few freebies from Sony Library) I left all the Calibre books in the Reader and transferred the Sony/Google books onto the SD card.
Result - perfect!
I know the other way around was suggested, and it makes far more sense. I will probably do that in the future, but for now.... all it well!

So, yes! Sony Library and Calibre does work together. I even experimented by adding Sony Library books, (as Starrigger suggested) to the Calibre library, just to see. That works too, but then some of the covers were lost again and new ones would have to be added. Not that that is a problem, but I'll leave it as it is for now. Sony books in the Sony library, all other books in Calibre.