Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
jeffreylamster
jeffreylamster began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader
Anybody knows the cost of E-Ink Display

Many articles say that the costs of E-Ink display is already a threat to LCD.

Anybody knows how much does the E-Ink display cost to the e-book manufacturers?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I doubt it could be much of a threat, since the color screens haven't come up yet. Plus it's not backlit.
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylamster View Post
Many articles say that the costs of E-Ink display is already a threat to LCD.

Anybody knows how much does the E-Ink display cost to the e-book manufacturers?

Approximately $125 in single-unit quantities (for self-repair of e-ink readers - can be extraordinarily DIFFICULT to get supplier to sell such.)

Derek
Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
I heard that last year Esquire Magazine included eink displays on the front of the their covers. It wasn't a really good one, it only flashes a few text, but it showed that it's cheap enough to be inserted into a $6 magazine.

If you look up online the price of screen replacement for ANY electronic is overly priced. Sometimes the screen replacement for a laptop cost more than half of the laptop itself. It's just the price you have to pay since there's a small market for it.

I would guess the eink display would cost the manufacture somewhere around $30 to $60.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
zmarty
zmarty began at the beginning.

Device: eSlick Reader?
One article about Kindle 2 said 60$ if I remember correctly.
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
It is on this link.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/22/i...net-says-shhh/
Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
jeffreylamster
jeffreylamster began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader
Is the iSuppli tear down based on mass volume production?

The iSuppli tear down is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the news.

Does iSuppli normally analyze the tear down based on mass production? The news just reported last week that Amazon sold 300,000 since Feb... obviously iSuppli would not use that figure in their analysis. I guess the manufacturing cost probably even less expensive than analyzed.

Any thoughts? Do you think iSuppli's analysis is based on a low volume production?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylamster View Post
Any thoughts? Do you think iSuppli's analysis is based on a low volume production?
My guess (no facts, just a guess) is that this is not a low volume estimate. We already know that (as mentioned above) replacing a screen on a broken unit runs $125 to $200.

Arguably, however, there is no such thing as high volume in e-ink screens. Notebook computer sales run over 100 million per year. Add in LCD screens for desktops, TV's, ipods/mp3's, others and you have many 100's of millions of LCDs sold each year.

Given Amazon's market leadership, and Kindle 2 sales of 300,000, I don't see how you can extrapolate more than five million E-ink devices and I personally figure that the number is around 2 million units. Furthermore, these are at 6 inch sizes whereas the laptops and TV's in LCD screens are substantially bigger. This means that total square inches of display screen produced per unit is many times larger.

My guess is that LCD screen production is more than 100 times higher in volume than e-ink screens (5 million versus 200+million is 40 times then factor in the larger form factor). As a result, I doubt very much that e-ink hits the manufacturing efficiencies of LCD -- even if the two technologies are equivalent in cost to manufacture.