Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
karmalized
karmalized began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Adding books speed question

Hey there,

I am new to the Calibre software so am still trying to get used to it, and how it works. I am wondering what kind of speed others users are getting when adding books? I am running on 10.5.6 Mac OSX, with 2 gigs of RAM with no other apps running, and am finding that to import books, I usually have to wait a couple of hours for 1000 books.

I have been reading around as much as I can, trying to pick up on tips to speed up the process, things like not reading metadata, but I just can't seem to get this working quickly. Originally, I was trying to import all my books at once (around 7000) but am now breaking the import into sections of about 1000, which still seems to take 2 - 3+ hours.

The first few steps where Calibre reads the data go very quickly, but the "Adding books recursively" part can take so long. I am importing the books from a USB 2.0 HDD onto the computers hard drive, but find no real change in speed when I move the files onto the local HDD prior to importing.

Is there any way to speed this up? If there are any logs or anything people would like to see, let me know and I will post.
karmalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the preferences dialog use the option to only read metadata from the file names.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
karmalized
karmalized began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering about that. What data is being "read" when not only using file names? I guess what I mean is... what is the difference in the final DB for the book, if Calibre reads the file name only metadata, or the full metadata?
karmalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
many ebook formats have metadata in the files themselves, which calibre tries to extract.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote