Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When are removed eBooks being put back?

There were a number of eBooks removed from the library because they were not yet public domain in life+70 countries. But some are such as HG Wells. When are these now PD eBooks being put back in the library?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
+1
I wanna know too.
Quite a few books should have become eligible for access on January 01.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
+2 I also would like to know. In my case using the example of the Wells books above I was the one who posted an omnibus of some of his works.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I'd like to know too, partly because I don't know if any of the out of copyright ebooks I plan on doing have already been done but have been removed.

It looks as though the offline forum in the ebooks section is not being monitored. Is this forum being monitored?

Last edited by AlexBell; 02-23-2017 at 09:31 PM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
If I remember correctly, once a book is pd again you just report the post and the mods take care of it.

EDIT: I can't find any post that would make me think that, probably disremembering correctly...

Last edited by Glorfindel; 02-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'd like to know too, partly because I don't know if any of the out of copyright ebooks I plan on doing have already been done but have been removed.
Can't you search the offline forums?

Quote:
It looks as though the offline forum in the ebooks section is not being monitored. Is this forum being monitored?
It should be, but it looks like I missed some recent posts, maybe I have to revise my subscriptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
If I remember correctly, once a book is pd again you just report the post and the mods take care of it.
Yes, that's correct... But since at the moment that has to be manually done and we are still hoping to get a new library some day, I'd prefer if this is limited to a few selected books, rather than asking for movements "en masse". (If someone asks me to move 3 books, I can do it... if they ask me to move 300, I'll probably pass )
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm asking for ALL the HG Wells books to go back up and NOW so I have time to nominate for the Book Club.

I do want to know who let these books fall through the cracks and why?

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-24-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm asking for ALL the HG Wells books to go back up and NOW so I have time to nominate for the Book Club.

Jon, feel free to nominate HG Wells.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:11 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your request has ben read, it's now up to the volunteer moderators to decide whether or not to spend their time manually finding and moving ~100 threads.

Quote:
No one let them fall anywhere. When we changed the library to life+70 these books were not allowed because they were not public domain (in life+70 countries), so they had to be moved away. We had some tools to make these moves easier, now we don't have similar tools to move them back.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

People had to go through the library to see what was allowed and what wasn't. Why can't these same people do the same thing but in reverse?
Old 02-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Read again: "We had some tools to make these moves easier, now we don't have similar tools to move them back."

When we went through the library, we basically just clicked on "yes" or "no" on a dedicated web page, then Alex ran some tool to move every "no" to the offline forums. Now we would need several things to make it as easy as it was:

a) The possibility of changing "no" back to "yes" in books in offline forums. (We can toggle between "no", "yes", "NA", for online books, but not for offline ones.)

b) A tool that goes through every "yes" book in offline forums and moves them back online.

c) Someone with the right privileges and access to the server to run the tool.

Since we don't have any of them, we have to do it manually: find each thread, move it to the right online forum, and mark the book as "yes".
Old 02-26-2017, 02:18 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
No one let them fall anywhere. When we changed the library to life+70 these books were not allowed because they were not public domain (in life+70 countries), so they had to be moved away. We had some tools to make these moves easier, now we don't have similar tools to move them back.
If life plus 70 is the mark then some books go back in the public domain, but if the mark is the public domain for all countries then in the USA there are no new books to add until 2019.

It’s Public Domain Day and once again Americans get almost nothing

"The US changed its copyright term to 70 years in 1978, but it also retroactively extended copyrights twice—first as part of the 1978 law and then again in 1998. As a result of these extensions, no published works will actually enter the public domain until 2019. (Unpublished works do enter the public domain, but this is a much smaller and decidedly less illustrious group.)"
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If life plus 70 is the mark then some books go back in the public domain, but if the mark is the public domain for all countries then in the USA there are no new books to add until 2019.
Books that are newly PD in life+70 countries, but were already PD in USA become available to be added to the MobileRead Library each year.

Less than two more years until all the books published in 1923 become PD in USA.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:05 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Less than two more years until all the books published in 1923 become PD in USA.
Less than two years for a new copyright extension law.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is that we went and made these eBooks and posted them. Now we are being told they cannot be put back up after being taken down. Not everyone who made these books is still here. So unless we have these books we cannot put them up. The books exist where staff can access them. So I do think staff should be putting them back. Also, if we put them back, we might lose the snatched counts. So even if it's a hassle to put these books back, it is a job for staff. Also, the staff should know which books are allowed to be put back.

So even though it now has to be done manually, it has to be done.