Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
"Conversion of WMF images is not supported" message inside converted book

I guess I should not complain as the cover image IS INSIDE the converted book. But I'm curious why the message appears. More detail:

I copied some text and a cover images to a rtf files and saved them. I converted the rtf files to mobi for use on the kindle3. Inside the books I see the following "Conversion of WMF images is not supported." It then suggests (again, in the contents of the mobi book) that html be used.

I add the metadata to the front of the book.

But the converted book has the metadata at the book's beginning and shows the cover that I pasted into the metadata but then shows that message and then the generic Calibre "bookshelf" image. So obviously the IMAGE was converted and incorporated in the metadata portion of the book but I gather it does not "respect" it as an official cover?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When your rtf contains an image in the WMF format that calibre failed to extract, that is what you get. Look at the conversion log.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think it is trying to tell you, the the Cover that existed in the RTF before Calibre, can't be converted and substituted in, the default cover.

Then Calibre adds the jacket (metadata) with the cover shown in the Library view.

(NB WMF is a 'Windows' format. Calibre supports MAC's and Linux also )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. I did save the picture link and it saved as xxxx.jpg. And I did try to save the file at html but then Calibre just timed out saying there was probably something wrong with the file. I will investigate further.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did save the picture link and it saved as xxxx.jpg. And I did try to save the file at html but then Calibre just timed out saying there was probably something wrong with the file. I will investigate further.
You can't just rename a file format with a 'Save as' by typing the filename.jpg, Graphics programs have a 2 part file nak and extension. The extension selector does the 'magic' convert part
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard

No, I did not try saving the jpg as html. I open the rtf file again and chose save-as html. But that did not work either - that's the conversion that failed on a time-out. I have not gotten around to trying anything else at the moment.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

We are failing to communicate

Your RTF file has a WMF image.
Exporting to HTML does not change that.

Windows browsers can deal with that.

Calibre can't.

You need to replace the picture in your RTF with a JPG
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
FF2
Wizard

It can be slow going "communicating" this way!

The image that I pasted into the RTF doc was a jpg. But, again, it was more of an experiment and it appears that Louis Pasteur, I'm not!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
It can be slow going "communicating" this way!

The image that I pasted into the RTF doc was a jpg. But, again, it was more of an experiment and it appears that Louis Pasteur, I'm not!
Was?
I have no idea why it was converted (I don't use Word. Open Office is free ) and I am out of ideas.

Good luck

Tags
conversion, cover, images, rtf