Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Nook WiFi Connection

I just received my new Nook WiFi today. I cannot connect to my home WiFi service. I CAN connect to the public library's open WiFi service and can checkout The Daily and browse the eBook store via the open WiFi service.

My home WiFi service is WEP. The first key of the four available is the one in use. I have 6 "computers" that use this:
- 3 Windows Vista
- 1 Windows XP
- 1 Mac OSX
- 1 Nokia 770 running Linux

The "Network Authentication" in Windows Networking is "Shared", the encryption is "WEP", the SSID is broadcast - and I am able to see it and select it on the Nook. The signal strength as measured by the Nook is "Excellent".

I enter the 10 hex character encryption code - and it fails. I tried upper case for the A - F characters and it still fails. I tried ASCII and the "passphrase" that was used to generate the encryption keys and that fails too (I did not expect this to work).

The Nook is Registered and the battery is 95%. I have tried it on battery alone as well as plugged in to AC.

The WiFi Router is a Netgear WPN824v3. It is setup as a DHCP server. I am NOT filtering MAC addresses.

Anyone have any suggestions?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Have you tried asking at BN's Nook forum? Or called BN customer service?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
A few really random thoughts:

For giggles, asjogren, did you try turning off the security of the wireless router and then connecting? (temporarily, of course) If you still cannot connect, then you may want to look at the bottom of this post as your problem is most likely outside of the nook.

Is it possible that you should set the WEP key to AUTO mode rather than the second selection in the dropdown under the text input for your password on your nook? (I don't remember what the phrase was as my nook is at home) I had a few minutes of not being able to connect at home, I changed that setting (I will try to fix this post tonight if I remember) and it did work.

At some point my router had stopped broadcasting wifi as I couldn't connect with either my iphone or my nook... a simple restart of the router fixed that. You may want to try connecting wirelessly with another device before any of the above... of course I put this one last in the list, go figure Since you are detecting the SSID I suspect this is not the issue.

Sorry for the random, stream of consciousness post. I will continue thinking about this and hopefully come up with a viable answer.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Try putting a '$' before the key.

kdittyr's advice of opening your wifi just to see if it works is a good idea, as well.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Does your Nook have firmware version 1.4?
Some people did have problems with WEP in version 1.3. I am not sure if these problems have been solved in version 1.4.

As WEP has been hacked and is not very secure anymore, you should consider using WPA2-PSK instead of WEP.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

The "$" did not work prefixing the Hexadecimal string. And yes, it is firmware version 1.4

Changing the WiFi Router setup has to be a last resort because of coordination issues.

Is anyone else successfully using WEP on a WiFi only Nook running 1.4?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I just received my new Nook WiFi today. I cannot connect to my home WiFi service. I CAN connect to the public library's open WiFi service and can checkout The Daily and browse the eBook store via the open WiFi service.

My home WiFi service is WEP. The first key of the four available is the one in use. I have 6 "computers" that use this:
- 3 Windows Vista
- 1 Windows XP
- 1 Mac OSX

The "Network Authentication" in Windows Networking is "Shared", the encryption is "WEP", the SSID is broadcast - and I am able to see it and select it on the Nook. The signal strength as measured by the Nook is "Excellent".

I enter the 10 hex character encryption code - and it fails. I tried upper case for the A - F characters and it still fails. I tried ASCII and the "passphrase" that was used to generate the encryption keys and that fails too (I did not expect this to work).

The Nook is Registered and the battery is 95%. I have tried it on battery alone as well as plugged in to AC.

The WiFi Router is a Netgear WPN824v3. It is setup as a DHCP server. I am NOT filtering MAC addresses.

Are you using mac address filtering?
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
asjogren
Addict

There is no MAC address filtering.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
If I can find the time tonight I will change my wireless router over to WEP and see if I can connect my wifi Nook.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
superrad
superrad began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've used my 1.4 wifi with 2 separate WEP routers, so it does work. Hope this helps.
superrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
asjogren
Addict

Thanks, I will try a few things and report any progress.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
I got my nook today and I can't even register it. I can connect to the B&N store but thats it.

*edit*

I called B&N tech support and they told me that I need to make sure that I have a default shipping address and Credit Info updated and that was why it was not registering.

Last edited by envy; 06-30-2010 at 02:56 PM.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
asjogren
Addict

My WiFi Router is configured with Authentication: "Shared Key". This does NOT work with the Nook version 1.4, when I change to Authentication: "Automatic" the Nook connects and remembers the encryption key I entered.

When I switch back to Authentication: "Shared Key", the Nook cannot connect with the remembered encryption key.

If there is no plan to support this WiFi configuration, then B&N should document it as a restriction.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
My WiFi Router is configured with Authentication: "Shared Key". This does NOT work with the Nook version 1.4, when I change to Authentication: "Automatic" the Nook connects and remembers the encryption key I entered.

When I switch back to Authentication: "Shared Key", the Nook cannot connect with the remembered encryption key.

If there is no plan to support this WiFi configuration, then B&N should document it as a restriction.
Quote from the Wikipedia WEP article:
"At first glance, it might seem as though Shared Key authentication is more secure than Open System authentication, since the latter offers no real authentication. However, it is quite the reverse. It is possible to derive the keystream used for the handshake by capturing the challenge frames in Shared Key authentication.[2] Hence, it is advisable to use Open System authentication for WEP authentication, rather than Shared Key authentication. (Note that both authentication mechanisms are weak.)"

So you could just leave your router authentication at Automatic as the shared key option is not adding any extra security.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #15
Numberwang
Numberwang began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:

- 3 Windows Vista
- 1 Windows XP
- 1 Mac OSX

I was having the same problems too. I opened up my wifi router, no MAC filtering, and it hooked right up and did not have an issue. I then bounced the router with WPA2 on and MAC filtering back on. Nook dropped the connection, but it had at least "rembered" the SSID. I then tried reconnecting and it asked for the PSK passwd. I entered it again and this time it took. I just got my WiFi only Nook today and I was very frustrated by this issue too. FYI get off WEP. Good Luck
Numberwang is offline   Reply With Quote