Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Question App with Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML) support?

I occasionally use the iOS TTS voices to listen to English ebooks, and some pronunciations are driving me mad. For example, one of the English voices always reads Mr. as ['em 'ɑ(r)] instead of ['mɪstə(r)] and No. as [nʌmbə(r)] instead of ['nəʊ/'noʊ].

SSML, which is included in the ePub3 standard, would be ideal for handling these issues, but there doesn't seem to be a single app that actually supports it.

Does anybody know an iOS/Android app that supports SSML/PLS/CSS3 Speech or at least allows users to add custom dictionaries that override default pronunciations?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't know about the SSML aspect but the Android Acapela TTS Voices allow a custom dictionary. Not free though.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Trouble is, though, that although it's easy for a human being to tell whether "No." is a negative reply or an abbreviation for the word "number", it's not so easy for a machine.

Eg, consider the following:

"Are there 4 books there?"
"No. 5."

And:

"Beethoven's symphony No.5 is my favourite."

This really isn't a situation in which a custom dictionary will help.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-14-2015 at 02:44 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Trouble is, though, that although it's easy for a human being to tell whether "No." is a negative reply or an abbreviation for the word "number", it's not so easy for a machine.

Eg, consider the following:

"Are there 4 books there?"
"No. 5."

And:

"Beethoven's symphony No.5 is my favourite."

This really isn't a situation in which a custom dictionary will help.
An excellent example why good machine translation is so damn hard to do. The human brain processes such an awful lot of context.

(Sorry for derailing, Doitsu,)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The type of markup that Doitsu talks about in his original post is really the only way to tackle these issues, but:

a) I don't think any reading app currently supports it.
b) It would mean the publisher having to go through a book and manually insert the markup. I don't think any publisher would find it economically viable to do that. Publishers want to sell audiobooks; they don't care about TTS.

I've never found a TTS system that will correctly cope with something like "I live on St Peter St" ("I live on Saint Peter Street"), but any human reader will understand it. Ivona, for example, will always read "St" as "Street" (presumably because it's more common than "Saint").

It's disappointing, though, that any decent TTS system wouldn't read "Mr" as "Mister" (although it would probably not do well with reading discussions on MR ).

Last edited by HarryT; 09-14-2015 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-14-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With some simple checks it should be possible to disambiguate the negative reply from the abbreviation of the word number, which is almost always followed by a numeral, e.g., No. 10, Downing Street.
However, initial No followed by a period (or other punctuation marks) and no numerals is almost always a negative reply.

If SSML were more widely available, it'd be relatively easy to search for occurrences of No. followed by numerals and define their pronunciation as ['nʌmbə(r)]. (The default pronunciation should be ['nəʊ/'noʊ] anyway, since in most dialogue-heavy fiction books the negative reply easily outnumbers the number sign, if it occurs at all.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
With some simple checks it should be possible to disambiguate the negative reply from the abbreviation of the word number, which is almost always followed by a numeral, e.g., No. 10, Downing Street.
"Does the Prime Minister live at 11, Downing Street?"
"No. 10, Downing Street."

Sorry, I know that's contrived, but it does illustrate the difficulty. And I do agree that "No" rather than "Number" ought to be the default pronunciation; it's by far the more common.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-14-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:10 AM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
What I don't get is why Ivona correctly reads Mr. Smith as mister Smith but pauses after mister as if at end of a sentence?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Because of the full stop. If it's "Mr Smith" rather than "Mr. Smith" there's no pause. Ivona treats any "." as the end of a sentence and so pauses there. It's not very smart.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
gregko
gregko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Android
Hi,
on Android or newer Kindle devices compatible with Android, try @Voice Aloud Reader (Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...perionics.avar, Amazon App Store http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Aloud-Reader-read-aloud/). Has a speech editor that also supports RegEx expressions for more complex speech replacements. It does know that Mr. is an abbreviation and does not end a sentence, and the user may expand the abbreviation dictionary as well. Support for SSML annotations (where the TTS voice in use supports them too) is under development right now.

Disclosure - I'm the author of @Voice, but the questions posted here are the issues that I specifically addressed in my app.

Greg
gregko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
english, tts