Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
kpucci
kpucci began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Unresponsive Kindle Keyboard (K3)

So I have a Kindle Keyboard (K3) that has become unresponsive (i.e. screen will not change state, battery does not seem to charge). It is out of warranty so I have nothing to lose.

I have tried the 30+ second hard reset, pulled the battery, etc to no avail. No matter how long I leave it plugged in, the LED always shows orange.

I have even tried the kubrick 3.6 Live CD (which went through without failing) but the unit is still unresponsive.

I was getting the SE BLANK RINGO in device manager (win 7) but after installing ATK, it now shows as MX35 which I believe is correct.

I have decided to try the ATK method as described in the wiki (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk) but I get an error that the flash version is not correct. I am assuming this is because the wiki says to use 3.0.2 kernel and mmcblk0p1 files whereas my unit was on 3.4. I will try the latest kernel and confirm.

Any other suggestions if this does not work?
kpucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Connect a terminal to the serial port and report on what messages you see with a cold (full) reboot.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
kpucci

I am guessing I need a different cable for this? What do you mean by a cold (full) reboot? The unit is completely unresponsive.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpucci View Post
I am guessing I need a different cable for this? What do you mean by a cold (full) reboot?
The unit is completely unresponsive.
Just what you already tried - hold the power button for 20, or better, 30 seconds.

Only have your terminal emulator that is connected to the serial port cable, set to capture what it receives to a file, the messages produced during the start-up will give us something to go on.

Yes, it is a different cable, you need a 1.8volt, serial port adapter cable.
Like this one:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...070-ND/2441359
Read the file at the "datasheet" link on that page for the details of what you are shopping for.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
kpucci

Thanks...I will try to get my hands on one.

I will try the ATK method using 3.4. Are the offsets the same as 3.0.2?

00041000 and 003C1000
Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks...I will try to get my hands on one.

I will try the ATK method using 3.4. Are the offsets the same as 3.0.2?

00041000 and 003C1000
If a successful run of Kubrick did not fix it, you are wasting your time.

Kubrick is mostly just a "Wizard GUI" that has already run those (older) restore programs.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
kpucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If a successful run of Kubrick did not fix it, you are wasting your time.

Kubrick is mostly just a "Wizard GUI" that has already run those (older) restore programs.

That sucks...

I have no idea what happened to this kindle. Just stopped working.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

That sucks...

I have no idea what happened to this kindle. Just stopped working.
twobob has one and I have one that are "deader than dead".
You are not alone.

We will investigate them, when time permits, in case you want to hang on to yours rather than e-bay it for "Parts".

Tags
atk, keyboard, kindle 3