Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Grey Pearl
Grey Pearl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Calibre crashes my system(Ubuntu)

I've been using Calibre with my Kindle3 for a week now. Gotten so far as to set up the newsfeeds. But then it started to crash my system whenever Calibre downloads or I try to change the configurations.

Most of the times it goes directly to a black screen, then reboots. Last it happened, I was able to read an "OK" in the top right corner???

Unfortunately I am new to Linux, so I am totally lost as to what to do!

That said, Calibre seems like a very powerful tool for my Kindle!
Grey Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Pearl View Post
I've been using Calibre with my Kindle3 for a week now. Gotten so far as to set up the newsfeeds. But then it started to crash my system whenever Calibre downloads or I try to change the configurations.

Most of the times it goes directly to a black screen, then reboots. Last it happened, I was able to read an "OK" in the top right corner???

Unfortunately I am new to Linux, so I am totally lost as to what to do!

That said, Calibre seems like a very powerful tool for my Kindle!
Does this only happen when:
Getting the list of books on the K (happens upon connect)?

transfer of books to the K?

the K is not connected?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Grey Pearl

It happens when the K is connected, and when the K is not connected!

It happened 30secs ago when I opened Calib, the K was connected, and C started to retrieve news.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It happens when the K is connected, and when the K is not connected!

It happened 30secs ago when I opened Calib, the K was connected, and C started to retrieve news.
Run the Check on the Library (little arrow next to the Library Icon). something is damage

Or, it could be a damaged news recipe if there is some scheduled for auto-download (try and disable all schedules. the manually get each one until )
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure you are running the binary calibre install, not the Ubuntu provided package. Follow the instructions on the calibre linux download page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Grey Pearl

ran the binary calibre install and disabled my news recipes.

Thank you both very much!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
ran the binary calibre install and disabled my news recipes.

Thank you both very much!
Now Calibre is running, it is time to see if/which News recipe is causing issues.
I would suspect it would be a 'custom one installed by yourself' , as the forum has been quiet on the standard ones that are in the package.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Grey Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Now Calibre is running, it is time to see if/which News recipe is causing issues.
I would suspect it would be a 'custom one installed by yourself' , as the forum has been quiet on the standard ones that are in the package.
I only used a few of the standard ones, so that wasn't the issue.
I suspect the install package via Ubuntu was my problem, it runs "perfect" now!

Now I only have some problems with the mail-function
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Now I only have some problems with the mail-function
Uhm, we're currently having some technical difficulties with our crystal balls, so you'll have to provide the problem description yourself.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Grey Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Uhm, we're currently having some technical difficulties with our crystal balls, so you'll have to provide the problem description yourself.
Yeah, don't sit down on them too roughly!

What I meant to (not clearly enough) convey, is that I'm looking for help on threads dealing with similar problems!

Thanks for looking anyways

Last edited by Grey Pearl; 05-12-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I was talking about this kind, not the other one. You know, for scrying and stuff.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yeah, don't sit down on them too roughly!

What I meant to (not clearly enough) convey, is that I'm looking for help on threads dealing with similar problems!

Thanks for looking anyways
Manichean (and I) was confused about the 'Mail' question.

Is this in reference to Calibre 'Mailing' books to a Kindle or is it a generic ( )' I can't get Ubuntu mail to work question
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
JHamric
JHamric began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 (Unity) and just recently started experiencing the Calibre crash. As soon as it opens, the session crashes and drops to the login screen.

I've deleted Calibre, re-installed (binary), deleted the configuration folder, enabled the Qt window fix in Compiz, all to no avail. After deleting the configuration folder, the initial configuration screen appears but any action after that causes the crash.

It was working about a week aga & the only thing I can think of is that there have been a couple of system updates.

Is there any solution to this?
JHamric is offline   Reply With Quote