Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
aschofield
aschofield began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Unhappy Kindle : go to beginning and default start location issues.

Ok, so this is a weird one and I can't find anything useful through google which is normally the font of all knowledge. I'm not 100% sure where this issue lies - I do though suspect its more software / mobi format as opposed to a device issue though, reasoning below.

I (well, my wife) has a Kindle keyboard. I use calibre to manage a library of ~ 9,000 books. However recently (i.e. the last few weeks - its difficult to be precise as the books tend to be batch loaded to kindle) all mobi files which are transferred to the kindle have a default start location which is towards the end of the book (typicall 99% through!). Using the 'go to beginning' function on the kindle will take you to this location. However, I can left arrow back through the chapters to get to the beginning.

I should stress this is for all books newly converted from epub to mobi as well as books which have been in mobi format for a while (converted using calibre). I have used kindlegen which also displays the same issues. Books downloaded directly from Amazon do NOT suffer this.

I have rebooted the kindle several times but I haven't yet factory reset it (as I mentioned books downloaded from the amazon site don't exhibit any issues).

This is proving to be massively frustrating and I'd be grateful of any help.

Last edited by aschofield; 06-27-2012 at 07:11 AM.
aschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The MOBI format has a start position field. When converting from EPUB that start position field is filled in from entries in the guide section of the epub. Presumably the epubs you are converting specify a start near the end of the book. Try converting an epub that does not do this and the MOBI will not start near the end. For example, the calibre quick start guide epub.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
aschofield

Hi there, many thanks for your reply. I have pulled one of the epub books apart and found the following in the guide section:

<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="cover" href="cover.xhtml" />
<reference type="title-page" title="title" href="title.xhtml" />
<reference type="preface" title="annotation" href="annotation.xhtml" />
<reference type="title-page" title="bookcontent1_0" href="section1.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent2_0" href="section2.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent3_0" href="section3.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent4_0" href="section4.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent5_0" href="section5.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent6_0" href="section6.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent7_0" href="section7.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent8_0" href="section8.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent9_0" href="section9.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent10_0" href="section10.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent11_0" href="section11.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent12_0" href="section12.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent13_0" href="section13.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent14_0" href="section14.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent15_0" href="section15.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent16_0" href="section16.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent17_0" href="section17.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent18_0" href="section18.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent19_0" href="section19.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent20_0" href="section20.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent21_0" href="section21.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent22_0" href="section22.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent23_0" href="section23.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent24_0" href="section24.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent25_0" href="section25.xhtml" />
<reference type="notes" title="bookcontent26_0" href="fb2info.xhtml" />
<reference type="copyright-page" title="about" href="about.xhtml" />
</guide>

I changed this to:

<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="cover" href="cover.xhtml" />
<reference type="title-page" title="title" href="title.xhtml" />
<reference type="preface" title="annotation" href="annotation.xhtml" />
<reference type="title-page" title="bookcontent1_0" href="section1.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="bookcontent2_0" href="section2.xhtml" />
<reference type="notes" title="bookcontent26_0" href="fb2info.xhtml" />
<reference type="copyright-page" title="about" href="about.xhtml" />
</guide>

And now the start point is 'section2.xhtml'.

Is there anyway I edit the Contents.opf file in Calibre (so I can strip all but the first type="text" entry?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use the tweak books feature.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-28-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
aschofield

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the tweak books feature.
Release notes for 0.8.58 I see this:

- EPUB Input: When there are multiple elements of the same type in the OPF guide, use the first rather than the last element.

Many thanks!!
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome, I forgot to update this thread, so I'm glad you spotted it in the release notes.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
watergrove
watergrove began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
once i down load calibre windows wants to know the program to open it. What program is needed?
watergrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by watergrove View Post
once i down load calibre windows wants to know the program to open it. What program is needed?
Windows

If it (Windows) is asking that question, you 1)have the wrong OS version of calibre. 2)Do not have (admin) rights to install programs
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or possibly a broken MSI installer on the PC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Or possibly a broken MSI installer on the PC.
If MSI is broken, then they probably have other, bigger problems
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Exactly
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote