Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
turbotoes
turbotoes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini, galaxy A5
Which e reader for android?

Hi guys,

I hope I'm asking in the right place, I'm looking for a recommendation for an epub reader for a new android phone.
I'm used to ibooks and just want a way of reading my existing ebook library on my phone.

I want the books stored on my phone not in the cloud. so I need to be able to 'sideload' via my network or via usb cable to my PC

I don't need access to a book store.

A bookshelf view and be able to create collections if possible.

I am happy to pay for the app, would prefer that in fact.

any ideas? I don't have the phone yet,, but have looked at and discounted 'play books' as it doesn't seems to allow me to add books directly to my device (checked with ios version)

thanks in advance
turbotoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at CoolReader, FBReader, AlReader and Moon+ reader.
All are highly customizable, support many formats.
My favorite at the moment is AlReader, because it supports e-ink screen on my Android-based e-ink reader.

Of those only Moon+ reader is paid, but there is excellent free version missing a few advanced features.

Disclaimer: there are quite a few e-book reading apps out there. People have wildly different tastes. Some prefer ability to override publisher formatting, others like minimalistic features and perfect rendering of book format as done by publisher.
You have to try several apps to see what *you* like.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
spindlegirl
I love my Kindle
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (main), Moto X Play, Lenovo Tablet
I am a long time fan of Moon+ reader. In later August, (and I can't remember which other time of year) the premium version can be obtained for half price, but I bought mine in August.

Moonreader is not linked to any store, and is for non-DRM books only. I use this on my phone and tablet, and is a great accessory to my Kindle which I also use.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S 4, Asus Transformer Prime
once you get it working, Moon+ is great. it does a pretty good job of syncing reading progress between devices
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I'll be glad to help skew the votes towards Moon+, paid version. I use it on three devices. Very configurable. I wish my e-ink Kindle was as feature rich!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I also use Moon+ on my phone. I do most of my reading on my Kindle but when I'm away I use my phone and Moon+. I started using it because it has a really good selection of features. In particular I like that I can scroll instead of turning pages. I got used to doing that decades ago on my Palm, where most ereader apps scrolled, and always preferred that.

Another nice feature, not unique to Moon+ but that a lot of readers don't have is it's simple integration with Dropbox. I keep my current book and quite a few of my possible next reads on Dropbox and Moon+ lets me access them as easily as I can access books stored on my phone. I always copy the book to the phone to read it, and Moon+ makes doing that trivial as well.

I have a second phone that I use when my regular phone is charging and Moon+ syncs between them using Dropbox even easier and faster than my Kindles sync between themselves.

The big drawback of Moon+, in my opinion, is that it seems to be fairly hard on the battery. When I read with it I have to charge it more than when I watch Youtube on the phone. But I put up with that because it's otherwise so good.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Another Moon+ user here.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:52 AM   #8
church mouse
Addict
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Tolino Vision 3HD, Energy Sistem Pro HD
Kacir's list above is very good. The only two I would add are Pocketbook (which works well once one has figured out the UI), and Gitden reader (this is quite simplistic but does honour the book css, unlike many reader apps).
church mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad mini, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Kacir's list above is very good. The only two I would add are Pocketbook (which works well once one has figured out the UI), and Gitden reader (this is quite simplistic but does honour the book css, unlike many reader apps).
I use Bookari Premium on my tablet, mainly because it seems to honour the publisher's CSS. That is very important to me because I mainly use it to test ebooks I design.

Is there a list anywhere identifying the apps which honour the publisher's CSS?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:39 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
gitden honours css, as @church mouse. I prefer it to Bookari because I can get number of pages by chapter in an easy way (not showing directly in footer but with a touch).

I don't really know with options it has or how its library is, as I us CC for library and I customize my epubs in css, not in the app.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I use Bookari Premium on my tablet, mainly because it seems to honour the publisher's CSS. That is very important to me because I mainly use it to test ebooks I design.

Is there a list anywhere identifying the apps which honour the publisher's CSS?
Good though Moon+ is (it's my preferred Android ePub reader) this is its weakness: it overrides the publisher's CSS whether you want it to or not. Not that that matters, of course, to the average user.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
stumped
Fanatic
stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.stumped is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
another vote for moon + pro
in my experience it overrides little or no publishers' CSS once you tune it to your liking
and it has anoption to display exactly as the publisher intended ( which usually looks awful ) via a simple switch
some old instructions for enabling that option are here: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=242229

one thing it does lack is a decent manual. If stuff that is intuitive to everyone else is not so for you, then get used to posting dumb questions
Bookari does not really properly " honour " original CSS - instead it imposes it's own themes, as CSS overrides, but which are mostly well behaved enough to not make a mess. I abandoned it for Moon because I got fed up of Bookari's frequent glitchy upgrades and of unpredictable crashes ( usually towards the end of long chapters) on my Fire tablet

Last edited by stumped; 05-14-2017 at 09:51 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I am not using Moon+ at the moment, because it doesn't allow you to have hyphenation AND left justification at the same time. When you switch the hyphenation on it will switch to full justification. When you switch it back to left justification it disables hyphenation. I reported a bug and the author replied that it is a feature and not a bug.
I will have to update the app and have a look again. I haven't used it for quite a few months.

In the meanwhile, I use AlReader. It has all configuration options I want and lets me override publishers formatting. It even has slightly better support for e-ink and that is very important for me, because I use it on an e-ink device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #14
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
...The only two I would add are Pocketbook (which works well once one has figured out the UI...
I use Pocketbook on both phone and tablet. As Church Mouse says it has a user interface that takes a little time to become familiar with, but for me I then found it very quick and easy to use, together with a lot of flexibility and is free. It also seems to be less well known.

For me the only way to choose for myself is to try all the commonly recommended ones and take it from there, then periodically repeat that exercise. A couple of months ago I ran again through the most commonly used alternatives and found Pocket book still suited me best.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Been a huge fan of Bookari for several years, now. I use the premium version nearly exclusively for my reading.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote