Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
[Kindle Touch] Turn store button on search bar to browser button

A very irritating thing in the kindle touch, especially for those who don't use the kindle store, is the store button on the search bar. We could remove this in < 5.1.0 but now that doesn't work. Here's how you turn that button into a browser button (detailed enough for a noob to follow):
First download the attachment, extract it and save "store.png" in /mnt/us i.e the usb drive.
Then ssh into the kindle and enter in:
Code:
cd /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/assets/search_bar
mntroot rw
mv store.png store.bak
mv store_active.png store_active.bak
cp /mnt/us/store.png .
cp /mnt/us/store.png ./store_active.png
cd ../..
cd javascripts
cp search_bar.js /mnt/us
mntroot ro
Connect up the USB drive and open up search_bar.js with A PROGRAMMER'S EDITOR, OR ELSE YOU WONT HAVE UNIX LINE BREAKS!!!

After the comments you will find a line (somewhere between line 20-30):
Code:
const STORE_ID = 'app://com.lab126.store';
Replace this with:
Code:
const STORE_ID = 'app://com.lab126.browser';
Now save this and ssh back into the kindle and enter:
Code:
cd /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/javascripts
mntroot rw
mv search_bar.js search_bar.bak
cp /mnt/us/search_bar.js .
mntroot ro
killall cvm
And voila! You have a browser button on the search bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	1546
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	86600  
Attached Files
File Type: zip store.png.zip (765 Bytes, 656 views)

Last edited by aditya3098; 07-14-2012 at 08:43 AM.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I'm using this icon instead and I like it. There are 2 icons one for normal and one for inverted mode. This is best for FW 5.1.0+

I always wanted to have forward button too in the browser.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip store-icon.zip (2.3 KB, 604 views)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-21-2012 at 10:33 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
I'm using this icon instead, which is more relevant to Webkit logo.

I always wanted to have forward button too in the browser.
Nice, but it's not colour
Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Nice, but it's not colour
WARNING: Humorous comment may be subject to cultural distortion (no harm intended).
Yes, and you can only view web pages that contain grayscale images.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-19-2012 at 11:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(duplicate post removed)

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-19-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
WARNING: Humorous comment may be subject to cultural distortion (no harm intended).
Yes, and you can only view web pages that contain grayscale images.
No what I ment was the image might not look so good in b/w
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
No what I ment was the image might not look so good in b/w
That is what gamma, contrast and sharpen functions are for. And of course, you can adjust individual pixels too.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That is what gamma, contrast and sharpen functions are for. And of course, you can adjust individual pixels too.
I am no good at image editing
Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Nice and worked fine. Did all of the stuff in WinSCP, so I had not to switch between USB and SSH. Much more useful now, the button.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
Great! this hack works and because I never shop on the kindle.... this button is useful now!
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Can I use this button for the Launcher? ( or for the music player ?) I don't use the internet browser that much. (This could also enable Launcher for the all cases.)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Can I use this button for the Launcher? ( or for the music player ?) I don't use the internet browser that much. (This could also enable Launcher for the all cases.)
Music player: probably yes. In fact, I suspect it works for pretty much everything that has an associated URL; it seems to be essentially the same mechanism as described here.

Launcher: no. The launcher directly injects an Action into the menus, so it can't be triggered externally.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Music player: probably yes. In fact, I suspect it works for pretty much everything that has an associated URL; it seems to be essentially the same mechanism as described here.
Yep! I use this to run my app.
Only problem is I can't run a script before running my app (as I do using launcher). That's why I'm studying a way of using LIPC to run that script when my app is launched!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
won't it break further possibility to upgrade firmware ?
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
wl.
Enthusiast
wl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-505
do store from menu work like before?
wl. is offline   Reply With Quote