Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #31
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
It's like having a car with a nice radio or air conditioner. If you don't use that feature just consider it an extra that someone might want in the future if you ever decide to sell it, trade it, or whatever...it's not easy to add such features later on. You have to open the device, move wires, plug tiny cables in and route the antenna, etc. Then you pray it still works when you power it on...
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #32
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Don't forget there are still some people that need simple. They do not care to know anything about WiFi or how to use it. Hard to believe - but true.

I actually know a few of those people.
Some of us just prefer simple. I don't need WiFi, 3G, or most of the other extras that a lot of ereaders have. I would prefer a cheaper device with less features, especially if I'm not going to use those features. I use WiFi and 3G on other devices, I just don't feel the need for them on my reading device.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #33
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I can see using 3G to download daily newspapers.
Oh, I was just thinking of subscribing to the Chicago Tribune! You can't download newspapers to K4PC, can you? But then I would have to move it everyday! Great point, Thanks.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #34
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are all great points, and thank you. Since they are now sold out, I will wait and get my K3 Wi-Fi, and see if I like it. Of course, there will probably be a K4 next year.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #35
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
For people who have no use for 3G or WiFi, that's cool. There are e-book readers out there that don't have these things and many are fine models with long histories that will let you suss out what the problems might be before you spend money.

For me, 3G all the way. Twice I've been lost in a strange city and mapquest saved the day. I've spent hours in the car, reading about the Mammoth Caves we were heading to in Wikipedia. I can check the news wherever I have 3G coverage. Here in rural Tennessee, WiFi is hard to come by and 3G works most places.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #36
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Does mapquest work on kindle?
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #37
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Some of us just prefer simple. I don't need WiFi, 3G, or most of the other extras that a lot of ereaders have. I would prefer a cheaper device with less features, especially if I'm not going to use those features. I use WiFi and 3G on other devices, I just don't feel the need for them on my reading device.
I agree. I have abs no need for 3G. Like most people I have wifi at home and have never felt the need to satisfy an urgent impulse to have a book that moment rather than wait until I get home. In fact I only really need to consider book purchasing once a week or so.
I got the iPad with wifi only and have no interest in a 3G kindle.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #38
jdarnold
jdarnold began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I got the Nook 3g/wifi model only because I couldn't wait to order the wifi-only online (Best Buy only has 3g model in store). But I wish I had as I too have no need for the 3g. I have wireless at home and just don't need to satisfy impulse buying when on the road. I have a smartphone if I need info via web pages. Whenever anyone asks about getting 3g with their eReader, my basic short answer is that if you have wifi at home, you don't need 3g.
jdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Personally, I am fine being without a cell connection. I typically load enough books on my ebook reader, that I really have no want or need to grab a book in the limited times I'm without my laptop or wifi.

But, not everyone has the same thoughts. Some people would rather not mess with a computer to get their ebooks. Different strokes, for different folks.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #40
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
Does mapquest work on kindle?
Sure. I used the experimental web browser to go on the web, typed "www.mapquest.com" as the URL and was off.

The maps are nothing to write home about in greyscale, and the download was slow, of course, but what I needed was the directions and it worked fine for that.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #41
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
I see the use of it, especially when people are less techno-savvy and not having to sideload from a computer would be easier.

But for me, I have over 2000 books altogether, many of which I have never read. I can almost always resist the need to buy that second.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #42
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
We bought a Kindle for my 82 y.o. mother-in-law specifically because it had 3G. She doesn't have high speed internet or wireless in her near rural home, nor was she confident enough with her computer skills to sideload books via USB. The 3G works perfectly for her, it's one step with a vendor she knows and trusts.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #43
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

*please excuse snippage*

The simpler my reader, the less it costs. The less it costs, the less I'm going to cry if I drop and break it, lose it somewhere, or it gets stolen.
Well, I certainly agree on this sentiment. My main reading "gadget" right now is an Asus T91 MT convertible tablet (aka Li'l Bit). Li'l Bit was expensive, and so I'm very reluctant to take it anywhere. I'm soooo tempted to buy a nook for just the reasons you said...if I take it somewhere and something happens, I'll only be 149 dollars worth of sad instead of upwards of 500 dollars worth of sad.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarnold View Post
I got the Nook 3g/wifi model only because I couldn't wait to order the wifi-only online (Best Buy only has 3g model in store). But I wish I had as I too have no need for the 3g. I have wireless at home and just don't need to satisfy impulse buying when on the road. I have a smartphone if I need info via web pages. Whenever anyone asks about getting 3g with their eReader, my basic short answer is that if you have wifi at home, you don't need 3g.
But what if you want to use it away from home? That's when I make most use of 3G; I don't need to use it at home.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #45
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But what if you want to use it away from home? That's when I make most use of 3G; I don't need to use it at home.
Even though I have 2 smartphones (one for work), I rarely find the need for 3g coverage. The mlb app is good, and my work phone let's me have that. But the Cubs are done this year, so I won't be using 3G for anything but phone call.s