Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Successfull E-book authors

Since the dawn of the E-book, is there any author that has made it into riches and stardom as a "self-made" publisher? Someone who has been able to bypass the established publishing system and made a fortune writing and publishing on-line?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
From all of the authors I talk to, Konrath is absolutely leading the way on this. Although you won't catch any of us on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, I know plenty of people who are in a position where they could live entirely off of their writing. That's a goal for many people, and it's getting to the point where people can make that happen if they have a great book.

Then there are plenty of others like me who find that being an e-book or indie author is working out as a great part-time job so to speak. We're getting our work out there and people are enjoying it. It might pay a few bills or allow us to enjoy things a little more, but it's not like we're going to retire any time soon.

As for stardom, fame is relative. It only takes one person to read your book to have a really great fan. Yeah, universal adoration is nice, but it doesn't take that much to be appreciated as an author.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There are several other examples of authors who started with self-published e-books, then landed multi-book traditional publishing contracts and even movies deals: Boyd Morrison, Karen McQuestion, Colleen Houck to name a few.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I don't know of any self-published author who has made it big except by transitioning to regular publishing.

However, we have a bunch of previously-published authors who are now making something from their work instead of the nothing they've been making while their work was out of print. This is the boat I'm in, and I'm ecstatic to sell a few ebooks after selling zero anything for the past six years while my book was economically non-viable.

It even has me interested in finishing that unfinished novel, if only to release it electronically.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I get the impression that the E-book market is still not large enough to support an author, or is it perhaps more diversified? I assume the incentive as an author to go for the E-book market is the royalty issue, more money per sold book, but that doesn't begin to compensate for the prolific distribution in the traditional market, is that perception correct?

Toshiba has released a device called Libretto-W100, which consists of two screens with a hinge. It is much more similar to a traditional book in its design. Is the traditional design of a slate/tablet holding back potential converts to the E-book market?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I get the impression that the E-book market is still not large enough to support an author
I don't think you can say that the eBook market isn't big enough--according to the Associaton of American Publishers, eBook sales were $313 million last year, and they're growing by leaps and bounds. So far, only a handful of authors have been able to get a big enough slice of that pie for themselves to be considered huge successes, but that doesn't mean that others soon won't join them.

The problem is that we're all still trying to figure out the best ways to market and promote and connect with our readers. Once we do that, there will be plenty of full-time eBook authors.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Since the dawn of the E-book, is there any author that has made it into riches and stardom as a "self-made" publisher? Someone who has been able to bypass the established publishing system and made a fortune writing and publishing on-line?
There aren't a whole lot of authors who've made a fortune writing and publishing on paper. For every Dan Brown or Tom Clancy, there are thousands who will never leave the midlist.

Given the limited number of authors of professional quality self-publishing ebooks (Sturgeon's Law is not only fully in effect, it may be squared) and the size of the ebook market, it'll probably be a while before we get any self-published millionaires.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
There are some like M.J. Rose and Brandon Sanderson who started out self-publishing or podcasting or something and then got publishing contracts. Numerous others who do very well as blog authors and have parlayed those into book deals---or have remained as income-generating bloggers. And at least one (Jim Munroe) who started with a traditional contract and then went indie afterward.

Personally, I think the next big internet success story will be the one who offers the ebook for free with the catch that the movie rights cost a million dollars, and then gets a taker on it
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
RAScully
RAScully is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony
I like that idea! I suppose it does make sense. If something gets hot, any story for that matter, then hollywood will surely take notice. Interesting concept.
RAScully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
P.A.Woodburn
Enthusiast
P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: none
I am not sure what you mean by riches and stardom. Riches to one person might appear to be total poverty to another. Who really wants stardom? I don't want to have to dress up to go to the supermarket. Some extra money would make me wildly happy. I don't need millions.
P.A.Woodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.Woodburn View Post
I am not sure what you mean by riches and stardom. Riches to one person might appear to be total poverty to another. Who really wants stardom? I don't want to have to dress up to go to the supermarket. Some extra money would make me wildly happy. I don't need millions.
Yes, this is what I was talking about. Becoming a millionaire may not be something that will happen easily for an eBook author, but being able to make a comfortable living as a writer--without a "day job"--is what I dream about at night. Well, that, and some of my brilliant, hunky heroes...

Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Genaro Zamora
thriller tale
Genaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle app
living off what you love to do, to me, is being rich.
it's cool to see how some people have made it in the ebook publishing
world.
I'm just happy to see that the indie publishing ebook world can reach millions of people now, compared to ten years ago. It opens great oportunities in sharing ones art!
Genaro Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genaro Zamora View Post
This is a great attitude! I'm going to start telling people this now.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
Genaro Zamora
thriller tale
Genaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle app
thanks.
only a dream I could hope to accomplish some day.
Genaro Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genaro Zamora View Post
it's cool to see how some people have made it in the ebook publishing
world.
I'm just happy to see that the indie publishing ebook world can reach millions of people now, compared to ten years ago. It opens great oportunities in sharing ones art!
A great philosophy of life.

The question I think is which came first: success in ebooks or success in pbooks? Konrath, one of the "successful" authors cited earlier as an example built his reputation in pbooks.

Yes there are great opportunities now, but only if you rise above the crowd and I think that is becoming increasingly difficult as fewer self-published authors who want to rise simply just sit at their computer, put the words on screen, and press Publish to Internet.

This discussion has been had many times before but the one thing that has never been satisfactorily answered is: What mechanical steps does the successful self-published author take to help ensure that his/her product has the opportunity to be successful?

I know, for example, that several authors here on MR have disdained the use of professional copyeditors. But what I don't know is how many of these authors are "successful", how many first built their reputations via traditional publishing were copyediting is often provided, and whether the books that these authors have produced sans professional services are successful in their own right.

Opportunity is not enough to make one successful.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote