Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm replacing my paper library with ebooks as they become available - if the price is right. I've only read one of my paper books in the last year and bought none.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
No way. I have a couple of books sitting around that I've been wanting to read for months, but can neither bring myself to pick up the DTB nor pay again for the ebook.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I'm replacing my paper library with ebooks as they become available - if the price is right. I've only read one of my paper books in the last year and bought none.
Me too. I crave complete liberation from paper books - they are uncomfortable, too heavy to prop up in bed, take up too much space, suck the moisture out of my fingers in the winter, you can't search in them ....whine, whine, whine
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #19
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There are some books, where I would like both the print and ebook version - especially reference books for my business.

But not enough to pay double. If I could pay another 30% and get a bundle with both, that would be about the right price point for me.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm a book collector, so I do it all the time.

For example, I collect Haruki Murakami in English hardback First Edition, as well as Mario Vargas Llosa, to name just two writers.

My main emphasis is Modern Firsts, with over 2,000 books in my collection.

Don
Do you read your collection?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am afraid I have reached the stage of finding paper books a nuisance. I left my ereader on the bus (some wonderful person turned it in but I was without for a week) and I read a paper book for a few hours but found I was happier reading on my old ugly laptop even in bed or an armchair.

Takes all kinds I know and when I go into a bookstore to buy a gift I am hit with severe nostalgia, but... I know I won't read it and due to my packrat nature I really really try not to collect anything.

Helen
I've found that with e-books I'm becoming something of a hoarder. With paper books there was a natural physical limitation as to shelf space. That problem doesn't exist in the electronical world. I finish two books a week, start reading four or five, but I will buy close to ten books every week (luckily half of them are $3.99 or less) and that equation is obviously never going to solve itself.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Rick G
Renaissance Geek
Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: iPad & kindle
Not here. I don't see a reason to pay twice for the same content, especially after I've already read it.

Now, if books started coming with an offer of a free digital download (along with no subsequent increase in price), then I might give that some consideration.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
No way. I have a couple of books sitting around that I've been wanting to read for months, but can neither bring myself to pick up the DTB nor pay again for the ebook.
Why not sell the DTB? Paperbacks in good condition sell very well at Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I can, and have, gone from paper to ereader quite nicely (love the search function), but going back to paper from the eversion doesn't ever seem to work for me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
With a paper book I catch myself either trying to swipe the page or touch the printed word to bring up the dictionary.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I once thought it was silly to read the paper and ebook version, but I have done it recently. I bought the ebook and checked the book out from the library.

I checked it out so I could look at the photos. I had no intention of reading from it, but I soon found myself reading both versions of the book.

I could see myself doing it again and paying twice. Only for certain history books. They tend to be big, but also have a lot of maps/photos I would like to look at. There is rarely an ebook version of the books I would think of doing it for.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find the fault with the hardware rather than with the ebook version. The current six inch reader I use finally allows me to look at photos/maps with just a touch of the screen not all the button mashing of the past to manipulate a photo or map.

The only trouble I have seen with some ebook versions is when they put the photos/maps at the end of a book rather than in the middle or beginning of a book. It's not really a problem just annoying.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbad View Post
The only trouble I have seen with some ebook versions is when they put the photos/maps at the end of a book rather than in the middle or beginning of a book. It's not really a problem just annoying.
That annoys me to no end! The other problem I have is when the book doesn't have page numbers. I find jumping around annoying, so I tend to not to by the ebook versions.

Were you talking about the T1, when mentioning the ease of looking at pictures? I was just looking at them yesterday at best buy. For 86$ I almost walked out of the store with a new ereader.

I just couldn't justify it though. Well I could, just not with a reason my wife would believe.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #29
gunbad
Zealot

Yes the T1 will resize, move a picture just with your touch. You do have to press the back button when you are ready to go back to reading.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbad View Post
With a paper book I catch myself either trying to swipe the page or touch the printed word to bring up the dictionary.
I too have caught myself trying the dictionary on the printed page. It didn't work. Funny how we get into habits.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote