Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #1486
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Sorry, no. I've invested way more than 5 minutes reading jhowells's excellent posts, but I don't do windows or use anything apple.
Understand, but if trying to do this on a Linux desktop OS, you'll agree that is not the most common use case, and well north of 95% of all non-mobile users are running Windows or Mac. So it's pretty widely supported, though not fully cross-plat. Most Linux users I know and work with ALSO use a Mac or Windows machine, so again, seems like most can find a way to access their books.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #1487
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Understand, but if trying to do this on a Linux desktop OS, you'll agree that is not the most common use case, and well north of 95% of all non-mobile users are running Windows or Mac. So it's pretty widely supported, though not fully cross-plat. Most Linux users I know and work with ALSO use a Mac or Windows machine, so again, seems like most can find a way to access their books.
By that logic, DRM is a non-issue because > 95% of all people reading e-books have never heard of DRM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #1488
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
By that logic, DRM is a non-issue because > 95% of all people reading e-books have never heard of DRM.
Not really, switching contexts on me bro. In the case you mention, those users are not even trying to DeDRM their content. I think the context here is users who DO want to DeDRM. All those other users still have these same tools and solutions available for free, if they want them. So I'd still say it's very easy--even for any non-technical user provided they have basic experience with their chosen OS--to DeDRM their Kindle books if they wanted to. Thanks to folks like Alf and jhowell.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #1489
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
That is also fair. However, maybe just because Amazon is the dominant player, it seems like the tools are getting the attention and keeping up pretty well with even the recent changes. Anyone who will invest 5 minutes to read jhowells's detailed post about the 4 methods and tools for working with kfx in Calibre should have no problem. If we could get to that state of relatively smooth, low friction ebook import and conversion with BN, I'd reconsider them as a source for ebooks. I really have no beef with them otherwise, still like their physical stores and give them my business here locally.
My point still stands. Currently, workarounds exist relying on availability of copies using older DRM but as far as I'm aware, the DRM used for Kindle4PC 1.25 or FW5.10.2 has yet to be broken.

Also, I wouldn't consider dealing with kfx easy. Unlike azw3 or mobi, you can't simply drag and drop to Calibre. You'll have to zip the kfx and resources folder first. On Kindle4PC version (which you want if image quality is a concern), files all just unhelpfully use azw and azw.res extension so you don't actually know if a book is kfx or azw3+azw6. Along with cryptic ASIN-based filenames, they're a major pain in the neck when batch processing (particularly when books fail to decrypt).

In my case, the azw3 versions of manga I buy are noticeably lower quality and therefore undesirable compared to Kobo.

I'll have to recheck my external HDD, but one of the test cases:
Found the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FR13YYV/
  • azw3 download: 38,755 KB (variable resolution: 1280x1920 max, ~220 KB per image)
  • PW3 kfx download: 35,180 KB (assets folder 35,028 KB, 965x1448, ~180 KB per image)

comiXology
  • in-app, proprietary format: 384.6 MB (lines are sharp and clean even on a 12.9" iPad, no blurriness at all)

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/skip-beat-vol-41
  • epub download: 151,273 KB (1400x2100, ~880 KB per image)

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ski...=9781974706129

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-15-2019 at 12:38 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #1490
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Along with cryptic ASIN-based filenames, they're a major pain in the neck when batch processing (particularly when books fail to decrypt).
Alissa's MobiHandler will help with the names. It's old, but still works perfectly on Windows 10.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #1491
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I ran into one ebook at Amazon that gave me problems with deDRM. I ended up buying it on the Apple bookstore and deDRMing it there.

deDRM is only an issue for a small sub group of readers. I feel that if deDRM is important to me, then I figure out a way to make it happen. If I need to have a mac at an older version of MacOS and have to keep my copy of kindle for Mac at an older version, then that's what I do.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #1492
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I ran into one ebook at Amazon that gave me problems with deDRM. I ended up buying it on the Apple bookstore and deDRMing it there.

deDRM is only an issue for a small sub group of readers. I feel that if deDRM is important to me, then I figure out a way to make it happen. If I need to have a mac at an older version of MacOS and have to keep my copy of kindle for Mac at an older version, then that's what I do.
Caveat, that only works as long as the book provider still supports old methods of acquiring books and encryption. As we can see, B&N has already pulled support for certain methods.

That's why I DeDRM almost immediately after purchase. You never know when Amazon/Kobo/Nook/Adobe will pull the plug and the old method will stop working. Ability to remove DRM is also the reason I buy physical Blu-ray instead of buying video on-demand.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #1493
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Caveat, that only works as long as the book provider still supports old methods of acquiring books and encryption. As we can see, B&N has already pulled support for certain methods.

That's why I DeDRM almost immediately after purchase. You never know when Amazon/Kobo/Nook/Adobe will pull the plug and the old method will stop working. Ability to remove DRM is also the reason I buy physical Blu-ray instead of buying video on-demand.
Agree with that practice, same. Somewhere in another thread here recently we were talking how Amazon keeps upping the encryption ante, and you wonder if we might hit a point where nobody has the resources to break it. BN seems like the worst offender right now, but Amazon keeps pushing in the direction of total ecosystem lock-in.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #1494
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
... If I need to have a mac at an older version of MacOS and have to keep my copy of kindle for Mac at an older version, then that's what I do.
No need. See here for getting Alf-friendly KF8/azw3 out of Kindle for Mac 1.25.2 (64-bit!)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=508

(Unfortunately, it doesn't work on K4PC 1.25.2)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #1495
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
It was really fun to take the original Nook into the store. There were "more in store" articles, coupons for the cafe, and then you could even stream a book for an hour. All things Amazon couldn't compete with, and B&N totally dropped the ball on their advantage.

Now I mostly stick with Kobo. They don't make it difficult to get your hands on the book files, and there are two different ways to remove DRM. And since I prefer their readers, the need to remove DRM isn't as pressing. Although I still try to do it soon after purchase just in case Kobo and I break up in the future.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #1496
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
It was really fun to take the original Nook into the store. There were "more in store" articles, coupons for the cafe, and then you could even stream a book for an hour. All things Amazon couldn't compete with, and B&N totally dropped the ball on their advantage.
I know, right? I never had a Nook, but I still love going into a BN bricks and mortar store--one of the few bookstores left in my immediate area, and the ONLY big one with a good selection. Get a Starbucks in there, and an armload of books, I can kill half a day. :-) I don't really understand the publishing market and how bookstores make (or lose) money. But I wish BN had found a way to stay competitive and offer a better alternative. And Borders as well. Competition is good.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #1497
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

I assume immediately download and deDRM was a given. It's future purchase that is the ongoing issue and the thing I tend to worry about.

One can deDRM digital purchases of video in iTunes, which is why I still buy digital movies there. If that stops working, then I'll stop buying there. My new purchases of Blu-Ray tends to be movies that aren't available for purchase in the iTunes store.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #1498
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I know, right? I never had a Nook, but I still love going into a BN bricks and mortar store--one of the few bookstores left in my immediate area, and the ONLY big one with a good selection. Get a Starbucks in there, and an armload of books, I can kill half a day. :-) I don't really understand the publishing market and how bookstores make (or lose) money. But I wish BN had found a way to stay competitive and offer a better alternative. And Borders as well. Competition is good.
Except big box bookstores were/are competition killers - indie bookstores have come roaring back with the demise of Borders.

I live in a small town without a big box bookstore, and we probably have more bookstores per capita than most big cities.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #1499
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Except big box bookstores were/are competition killers - indie bookstores have come roaring back with the demise of Borders.
Oh I agree with you there about the ideal size of the booksellers, but I see that as a slightly different discussion. In an ideal world yes there would be many small to midsized book sellers rather than just a few big ones. In practice in my area, there aren't any great nearby small bookstores out in the suburban area. So the only ones left who had a selection of the kind of books I like were the big stores and BN is now the only one of those left. In that kind of non-optimal bookselling world, given the choice between two evils of "some Amazon competitors", or "no Amazon competitors", I'd still choose the former I guess.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #1500
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
...indie bookstores have come roaring back with the demise of Borders.
The return of the indie bookstore is something I hear about, but haven't seen in practice. I'm sure that it's true if you live in a hipster area along the east or west coast. But where I live in an upscale suburb of Houston there's Barnes and Noble and a couple of used book stores. Not much roaring around here.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote