Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #61
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'm fine with that. Even if a discussion about one thing or another gets mixed up in the review thread, it doesn't really matter. If it's necessary, we can always ask one of the mods to split it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I apologize for the lengthy green on this, but I felt it important to respond as a moderator:

The Writers' forum - this forum - will be the place for a continued discussion of craft, criticism, etc. for the ebook. (If there is something I am missing or not understanding, please respond, so that I can clear up any questions that may still be lingering.)

Yes, there's a fine line between self-promotion and a discussion of craft; a level of maturity needs to be maintained in order for this difference not to be crossed.

Let me attempt to enumerate three points:

1) For example, there is a link to a poster's blog right here in this forum [not this thread]; yet, I've left it alone because of a determination made that it was not an attempt to self-promote at all, but rather an attempt to garner a discussion concerning an informative issue. He precedes this with an informational post before linking to his blog. I sense that he truly wants a discussion on this. -- Sometimes, though, this fine line is crossed and the link is deleted and a PM sent.

2) For every 50 or so authors, there's always the one "forgetful" author who just simply cannot "remember" (yeah!) to follow our posting guidelines. And for every 100 or so authors, there is always ONE author who categorically refuses to follow our guidelines for self-promotion. This one disgruntled author out of a 100 or so is always wished a bit of luck as we move him out the door and away from our community. (I must emphasize that this is a rare occurrence.)

3) Sometimes, it's a matter of judgment based upon my years of service here. And when I make a mistake - if that is pointed out to me (and, upon further reflection, I agree that my judgment was poor) - then I'll make every effort to correct it and to apologize.

----

Once the book is actually available, then the Editor will be allowed to create a thread in the Self-Promotions forum (just like any other authored/edited book), and the self-promotion guidelines naturally go into effect.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #63
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Thanks for that Don.

What would be your thoughts on having a separate thread for each different story in the anthology? I can see how this could swamp the Writers' Forum - and certainly if a pile of people objected this would be the wrong thing to do - but on the other hand it would make the discussions much easier to follow.

I'd suggest using a common format for the thread titles, such as:

[MR Anthology - SPOILERS] Graham's Fantasy Story

to make it easy for people who aren't interested to skip those threads.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #64
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good idea, IMHO.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #65
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Incidentally, "Spoilers" might be a good name for the anthology!

Graham
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #66
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
As I was catching up with several pages of posts this morning, I was intrigued by the idea of a Google+ circle. It was discussed and dumped within a few posts.-) That is fine with me, as there is a workable system using these forums, where I am still too much of a newbie to have a cogent opinion. I'll take the word of the grizzled veterans on that.

I can see that I'm going to learn a lot by being involved in this.

Jim
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #67
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
As I was catching up with several pages of posts this morning, I was intrigued by the idea of a Google+ circle. It was discussed and dumped within a few posts.-) That is fine with me, as there is a workable system using these forums, where I am still too much of a newbie to have a cogent opinion. I'll take the word of the grizzled veterans on that.
My experience with social media is extensive enough to know that I DON'T want to use it for my personal life. My work(s) will be done under a pseudonym (*). For this new "person" I would set up some social media, eventually.

I think, however, that actually keeping the development and discussion of a MobileRead Anthology on the MobileRead forums is a sensible idea.

Quote:
I can see that I'm going to learn a lot by being involved in this.

Jim
Very good; that will be true for me as well

===
(*) PS: First, I don't want my real name out there on the internet. Second, because I'll be writing in English, I'll be using an Anglicized version of my second name and last name. My Dutch first and last names are completely unpronounceable to anyone who is not Dutch. Trust me, I've heard my name being mangled countless times.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #68
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Thanks for that Don.

What would be your thoughts on having a separate thread for each different story in the anthology? I can see how this could swamp the Writers' Forum - and certainly if a pile of people objected this would be the wrong thing to do - but on the other hand it would make the discussions much easier to follow.

I'd suggest using a common format for the thread titles, such as:

[MR Anthology - SPOILERS] Graham's Fantasy Story

to make it easy for people who aren't interested to skip those threads.

Graham

Seems somewhat unwieldy, having so many threads, but let me toss this at the other Moderators to get a feel for their thoughts, too.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #69
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Seems somewhat unwieldy, having so many threads, but let me toss this at the other Moderators to get a feel for their thoughts, too.
If it might help, we could put it to the readers of the Writers' Forum in a poll.

Graham
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #70
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Don
(Moderator)
The stickies are in their own section. Maybe it's possible to tag the threads, so they'll be in their own section also?

Maybe it's possible to create a subforum in this forum, dedicated to this anthology. After it's done, the threads (the useful ones, those with discussion) can be merged with the main forum, and the subforum deleted.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #71
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I wonder if it is too soon to suggest a thread-per-story, we don't yet know just how well this is going to work. If the moderators are happy for us to have a subforum for this purpose then a thread per story would be great, but otherwise I would be happy to start with just one thread and see how we go, and see just how much participation we actually get.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #72
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
And I did have another thought (just the one ). As awkward as it might sometimes get, having just one thread makes it seem just a little be less like a self-promotion thing and more like an MR anthology thing. (Or is that just me? ) With some luck (different stories at different stages) and good management, we may be able to stagger the conversation within the thread so that it works out generally okay in the end.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #73
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
And I did have another thought (just the one ). As awkward as it might sometimes get, having just one thread makes it seem just a little be less like a self-promotion thing and more like an MR anthology thing. (Or is that just me? ) With some luck (different stories at different stages) and good management, we may be able to stagger the conversation within the thread so that it works out generally okay in the end.
True. And we can use headings within the thread posts to try to keep things clear.

I think it's one for the mods. If they feel this is a good use of the Writers' Forum, of interest to more than just the anthology team, then the multiple threads makes sense. Otherwise, yes, we should try to confine it to a single review thread.

Graham
Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I'm in favor of one thread, and one thread only. It can get way too dispersive with threads all over the place in this forum.

The thread can be stickied, [spell?], too - that's not a problem at all.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #75
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
I'm in favor of one thread, and one thread only. It can get way too dispersive with threads all over the place in this forum.

The thread can be stickied, [spell?], too - that's not a problem at all.
Can I just check we're talking about one new thread for the review process, along with this one for the admin chat?

Graham