Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
UbiquitousPhoton
UbiquitousPhoton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Voyage touchscreen died after 2 years :(

So, over the last month or so the touchscreen on my Voyage has been getting flakier and flakier - working in some areas, but not in others, sometimes being unresponsive, sometimes not responding at all. This has got worse and worse until I basically can't use touch screen anymore, which basically meant that once I finished the current book, I wouldn't be reading any more...

So, I contacted Amazon support about it, and because the device is just short of 2 years old was told to update firmware and try a factory reset, otherwise the only option would be to offer me a discount on a new one (um, no...)

Updated the firmware (tricky with no touchscreen), which didn't help, and then did a factory reset, which of course left me unable to get through the startup process (can't touch anything), so ... bricked.

Phoned up Amazon again, this time heartily annoyed, and quoted the sale of goods act (I'm in the UK) at them, specifically the part about 'reasonable lifespan' - I've not done anything silly with this, other than read it, why the *!#^ is it broken? My last e-reader lasted 6 years, and only got replaced because I fancied an upgrade ffs!

This time I pretty much immediately get told that they will put a request into the team that authorises out of warranty replacements, and I found out last night I am getting a free swap out. Result! .... ish.

So, also last night, I managed to find the correct google keywords and discovered that I am very much far from being alone on this - touchscreen issues being reported across pretty much every amazon touch enabled device usually ending up where I did, in bricksville.

I guess if I can get 4 years out of it I will have to consider this my money's worth (I don't...) but just wanted to ask if anyone else here has had these issues? In my rather lengthy consideration of e-readers I thought that the kindle build quality was greater than almost all of the rest, so I'm pretty disappointed in this tbh. Still not entirely sure where I would go if not kindle, though, options in the UK are pretty limited.
UbiquitousPhoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Don't confuse general touchscreen issues with complaints about screens failing to respond to touch because the screen has been broken. That is a common complaint for all ereaders, whereas the touchscreen becoming unresponsive and failing without damage to the screen is not at all common. Do a search in this forum and I'm sure you'll find very few, not just in the Amazon section, elsewhere in the forum too.

Amazon probably responded to your initial complaint with their standard, lets try and fix it and if not, as its out of warranty we'll offer you a discount on a new one. Once established that its an actual fault, they've rightly offered you a replacement.

Build quality of ereaders is usually fine (and I don't think there's much to choose between Amazon and for example, Kobo), its always the fragility of the screen that is an issue, the screen of an ereader is more fragile than a tablet, and that catches a lot of people out. The area where Amazon is better is the customer support if something goes wrong.

As you are getting a new Kindle from them, and as long as you take care of your ereader, there's no reason why your replacement won't last for 4 years or more. Plenty of people still have old Kindle's they've owned for 4-5 years or more. As for your other options, mainly Kobo in the UK.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbiquitousPhoton View Post
So, also last night, I managed to find the correct google keywords and discovered that I am very much far from being alone on this - touchscreen issues being reported across pretty much every amazon touch enabled device usually ending up where I did, in bricksville.
I strongly suspect that the number of such failures is extremely small. I honestly can't recall ever seeing a report of a failed Kindle touchscreen here at MR. You've just been unlucky.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
UbiquitousPhoton

Thanks... makes me feel better anyway! I may even have to dig out my venerable old Sony until the new one arrives...

Certainly very happy I don't have to fork out for a new one, this would have annoyed me greatly, and attempting to live without would most likely have annoyed me even more - I've been reading less and less because of the weird issues, I have to admit.

Here's hoping for no more issues anyway
Old 11-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Gabriel.Voyager
Connoisseur
Gabriel.Voyager began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage 3G, Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbiquitousPhoton View Post
Thanks... makes me feel better anyway! I may even have to dig out my venerable old Sony until the new one arrives...

Certainly very happy I don't have to fork out for a new one, this would have annoyed me greatly, and attempting to live without would most likely have annoyed me even more - I've been reading less and less because of the weird issues, I have to admit.

Here's hoping for no more issues anyway
The "PagePress" buttons work as usual?
Gabriel.Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I always buy the extended warranty. It gives me peace of mind.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Amazon probably responded to your initial complaint with their standard, lets try and fix it and if not, as its out of warranty we'll offer you a discount on a new one. Once established that its an actual fault, they've rightly offered you a replacement.
I suspect it has less to do with "it's a fault - we'll replace it", and more to do with "uh oh, this customer is aware of their local statutory warranty law, we better replace it".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
UbiquitousPhoton

Yeah, I wasn't sure myself tbh. The page buttons worked fine, and I was basically able to continue my book as usual, but with the growing knowledge that I may not be able to select another one after that point...

When I did the factory reset I had already basically given up, but I hadn't twigged at that point that it would basically brick it. I have managed in the past to get some life out of the touchscreen by plugging it into a PC (no, don't ask me why, noticed by accident). Now awaiting replacement, which is going to be the end of the week, missing it already
Old 11-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I always buy the extended warranty. It gives me peace of mind.
How often have you needed to use it?
Old 11-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
that should not matter, I buy " peace of mind" also, it takes immediate effect and lasts for 3 years
I've done the same with many Dell PCs - was it cost effective - no , would I do it again - probably yes.
is for that nice feeling that if it breaks it's someone else's problem - not mine .

do you insure against your house burning down ? - how often have you needed to use it ?
does not having claimed yet make you want to not pay the next premium ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How often have you needed to use it?
A few times with my original Kindle Keyboard due to the cracks in the corner of the screen. I did have a 3G KK that was replaced with a PW2 3G a few years ago by Square Trade but generally we haven't kept our kindles long enough to use it since the KK (we originally had three KKs, two 3G and a wifi)

I think it helps when we sold kindles on eBay as it gives the buyer peace of mind as well as us a better price. Going forward I will be keeping all our three kindles long term so time will tell. All three have a warranty, two with square trade and one with canopy.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Are the square trade warranties transferrable. It is not something I have looked into.
I buy super cover from richer sounds for hi-fi and that IS transferrable, but I fear many other policies are not. Sony for instance limit cover to the original buyer only ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
that should not matter, I buy " peace of mind" also, it takes immediate effect and lasts for 3 years
I've done the same with many Dell PCs - was it cost effective - no , would I do it again - probably yes.
is for that nice feeling that if it breaks it's someone else's problem - not mine .

do you insure against your house burning down ? - how often have you needed to use it ?
does not having claimed yet make you want to not pay the next premium ?
A house - or even an expensive laptop - is a different proposition to a (relatively) inexpensive reader. I wouldn't have to think twice about replacing a Kindle; I couldn't afford to buy a top-end laptop at the drop of a hat. Hence the reason I've never bothered with extended warranties (well, that coupled with the fact that I've never broken one in over 30 years of reading on handheld devices.)
Old 11-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Are the square trade warranties transferrable. It is not something I have looked into.
I buy super cover from richer sounds for hi-fi and that IS transferrable, but I fear many other policies are not. Sony for instance limit cover to the original buyer only ?
Yes Square Trade are transferable, as is Applecare.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A house - or even an expensive laptop - is a different proposition to a (relatively) inexpensive reader. I wouldn't have to think twice about replacing a Kindle; I couldn't afford to buy a top-end laptop at the drop of a hat. Hence the reason I've never bothered with extended warranties (well, that coupled with the fact that I've never broken one in over 30 years of reading on handheld devices.)
I have the 3G Voyage, I don't consider that an 'inexpensive' reader, certainly not as I am jobless from the end of the month. The very fact that it goes everywhere with me and is always taken outside the house is why IMO the warranty is worth it.

Right now we have three kindles (two people), two voyages, a 3G and a wifi, and a 3G PW2, none would be cheap to replace in the event of an accident or loss.

Tags
kindle, touchscreen, voyage