Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Missing TOC in Short Stories

Last night I downloaded the epub of D H Lawrence, The Woman Who Rode Away (collection of short stories).

Very disappointed on finding this has no TOC, making it difficult to find my favourite stories (such as Sun).

Would be very grateful if someone could rectify this please.

EDIT: The book in question is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183222

Last edited by BookCat; 04-28-2022 at 05:30 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Last night I downloaded the epub of D H Lawrence, The Woman Who Rode Away (collection of short stories).

Very disappointed on finding this has no TOC, making it difficult to find my favourite stories (such as Sun).

The person who posted this has not been on since December 16, 2012.

You can use the Calibre editor to build a ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 08:26 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The person who posted this has not been on since December 16, 2012.

You can use the Calibre editor to build a ToC.
I don't have any idea how to create a clickable TOC in Calibre, or indeed using any method.

I realise this was an old upload, but wondered if anyone could update it.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:27 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Just open book in Calibre Editor and use the TOC tool GUI. It can autodetect or let you browse and enter an entry.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:50 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Just open book in Calibre Editor and use the TOC tool GUI. It can autodetect or let you browse and enter an entry.
I have never used Calibre in such a technical way. I've just used it to convert books which aren't drm'd. Even de-drm-ing is a bit beyond me.

If no one wants to do this, I understand.
Advert
Old 04-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I don't have any idea how to create a clickable TOC in Calibre, or indeed using any method.
Its not that hard. See image using Calibre...
You might get lucky and it will be just as simple as two button presses. But it depends how headings are treated in the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toc.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	193539  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:09 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I just had a quick look at this eBook and it does have a ToC. On your Libra 2. Tap in the middle of the screen at the bottom. Then tap the hamburger button (three lines) or the chapter title to get to the ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:54 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just had a quick look at this eBook and it does have a ToC. On your Libra 2. Tap in the middle of the screen at the bottom. Then tap the hamburger button (three lines) or the chapter title to get to the ToC.
Thanks.
I haven't yet put this book on the Libra, it's still just in Calibre where it doesn't show a TOC at the beginning of the book.

I'll put it onto the Libra next time it needs charging and see if this works.

UPDATE: this works! Thanks.

Last edited by BookCat; 05-04-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks.
I haven't yet put this book on the Libra, it's still just in Calibre where it doesn't show a TOC at the beginning of the book.

I'll put it onto the Libra next time it needs charging and see if this works.

UPDATE: this works! Thanks.
The Libra does not use the human readable ToC. What it displays is the content of the toc.ncx file.

I downloaded the book, added the html ToC using one of Sigil's tools, did a bit of cleanup which took a couple of minutes.
Attached Files
File Type: epub the_woman_who_rode_away.epub (281.9 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 05-05-2022 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Edit: added modified copy
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:35 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Libra does not use the human readable ToC. What it displays is the content of the toc.ncx file.

I downloaded the book, added the html ToC using one of Sigil's tools, did a bit of cleanup which took a couple of minutes.
Thanks. I notice that you've also eliminated the horrid spaces between the paragraphs and indented these instead. I know this can be done during conversion, but it's so much better if this isn't necessary.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:34 AM   #11
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Oh my. I just posted a version with a ToC added to the title page, also smartened punctuation. Epub and azw3 versions. @DNSB, I didn't see your post on this sub-forum.

So now MobileRead has multiple versions of this title.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Thanks.
I haven't yet put this book on the Libra, it's still just in Calibre where it doesn't show a TOC at the beginning of the book. .
There is an option on Calibre reader to show the system TOC in a side panel.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
short stories, toc missing