Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
SpiritualMadMan
SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Exclamation KINDLE FORCED UPGRADE

This morning I brought up Kindle to read a book and it, WITHOUT ASKING, downloaded and updated me to version 1.15.0 (43061)

May go back to only buying from DRM providers!

I think Baen Books is still one?

I will check my next book and see if Calibre still works...
SpiritualMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualMadMan View Post
This morning I brought up Kindle to read a book and it, WITHOUT ASKING, downloaded and updated me to version 1.15.0 (43061)
Are you sure? What version were you running before?

Kindle for PC version 1.15.0 was released in 2016. The latest version is 1.30.0.

You may want to check out this thread.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-23-2020 at 09:01 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Are you sure? What version were you running before?

Kindle for PC version 1.15.0 was released in 2016. The latest version is 1.30.0.

You may want to check out this thread.
Mine did the same. I have automatic updates turned off. Started kindle4PC and it said there was an update. I told it to skip this update.

Very, totally, sure about that.

Used it, shut it down.

Opened it up a few hours later. Updated. Didn't ask. Just said what it was doing.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
dan2the6th
Connoisseur
dan2the6th began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone XR
Yup, just happened to me. I've been hanging on to version 1.24. Started Kindle for PC yesterday (I think) and it said 1.30 was available, and I clicked on Skip This Version (or whatever the wording). I just started the app again, and BOOM it just installed 1.30. The Windows UAC didn't even pop up to ask if I wanted to allow the installation!
dan2the6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Happened to me too this morning. Started K4PC (1.17) and it started the installer for 1.30 instead. When it downloaded that, I have no idea.

Reinstalling 1.17 back over it fixed it (after having to register again). Automatic updating was and still is disabled.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
Same thing happened to me this morning. Amazon automatically upgraded my old Kindle for PC to the newest version, even though I had the 'auto update' option turned off.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Well, this is a disturbing trend that I don't like...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
TxHawkeye
TxHawkeye doesn't litterTxHawkeye doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just happened to me as well. Had 1.21.48017 for many months with automatic updates disabled. This morning when I started K4PC, 1.30 was automatically downloaded and installed.

I uninstalled 1.30, installed 1.24.51068 (ensuring automatic updates are disabled).

Had to re-register. So far, so good. But I'm expecting it may only be temporary until Amazon forces the upgrade to 1.30 again.
TxHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Put it in a VM with no internet?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Put it in a VM with no internet?
How do you download books with no internet?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm on Windows 10 using Kindle for PC v1.24.51068

My observations are that it is fairly easy to avoid the unwanted upgrade but it will be tedious if you open it many times per day.

When the Kindle app is opened it starts to download this file - whether you want it or not:
Code:
C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\updates\KindleForPC-installer.exe
When you close the app it runs this downloaded installer [ETA: or maybe it runs it when you next open the app]. So you can avoid the update running by deleting this file before you exit.

It should work for now but I wouldn't expect this workaround to be anything more than a sticking plaster until Amazon find a more sophisticated way to force their upgrades and KFX format on you.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-25-2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHawkeye View Post
Just happened to me as well. Had 1.21.48017 for many months with automatic updates disabled. This morning when I started K4PC, 1.30 was automatically downloaded and installed.

I uninstalled 1.30, installed 1.24.51068 (ensuring automatic updates are disabled).

Had to re-register. So far, so good. But I'm expecting it may only be temporary until Amazon forces the upgrade to 1.30 again.
Have you exited (shut down) the app and gone back to it? If the older version has "stuck" then it's like the Kindle cover issue: they force it once per new upgrade per account, rather than specifically recognizing the older version each time you use it.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm on Windows 10 using Kindle for PC v1.24.51068

My observations are that it is fairly easy to avoid the unwanted upgrade but it will be tedious if you open it many times per day.

When the Kindle app is opened it starts to download this file - whether you want it or not:
Code:
C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\updates\KindleForPC-installer.exe
When you close the app it runs this downloaded installer. So you can avoid the update running by deleting this file before you exit.

It should work for now but I wouldn't expect this workaround to be anything more than a sticking plaster until Amazon find a more sophisticated way to force their upgrades and KFX format on you.
So, how about:

1. Make sure your user has no elevated privileges without a password.

2. replace the above file with a readonly 0 byte file owned by whichever user on the computer has the highest administrative privileges.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Another way to disable Kindle for PC updates is to replace the "updates" folder with a file of the same name. That prevents an update from being downloaded. Kindle for PC will still ask if you want to download the new update each time it is restarted, but it will not be able to do so.

I have created a simple Windows batch file to preform this change. See attached.

Spoiler:
Code:
@echo off
set KINDLE=%LocalAppData%\Amazon\Kindle
if not exist "%KINDLE%\application\Kindle.exe" goto :nokindle
if exist "%KINDLE%\storage" if not exist "%KINDLE%\storage\" del /Q "%KINDLE%\storage"
if exist "%KINDLE%\updates" rmdir /S /Q "%KINDLE%\updates"
echo This file disables Kindle for PC downloads. > "%KINDLE%\updates"
echo Kindle for PC downloads are now disabled
goto :exit
:nokindle
echo Cannot disable downloads - Kindle for PC is not installed at expected location
:exit
pause

------

Update: Oops, I accidentally used the wrong folder in the first version of the batch file. I apologize to anyone who downloaded this previously.

The current version of the batch will fix the broken folder created by the previous version, but you will need to re-register Kindle for PC afterwards. Sorry!
Attached Files
File Type: bat disable k4pc download.bat (501 Bytes, 2949 views)

Last edited by jhowell; 12-04-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: replace batch file
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #15
julesy
hedgehogs love to read
julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Kobo H2O, Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Another way to disable Kindle for PC updates is to replace the "storage" folder with a file of the same name. That prevents an update from being downloaded. Kindle for PC will still ask if you want to download the new update ach time it is restarted, but it will not be able to do so.

I have created a simple Windows batch file to preform this change. See attached.
Thank you for this. I ran the .bat file. We will see if the Kindle for PC 1.17 gets updated again. What a pain it was to restore to the old version!
julesy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, update