Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #196
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
kfmon autostart?

I can't seem to find any info about this, but i'm trying to move from KSM to KFM(on), since KSM has become abandonware.

With KSM I would boot my kobo almost directly into KOReader, but I don't see how this can be done with KFMon, if at all possible?
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #197
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No, as that's explicitly an anti-goal of KFMon .

(I also don't recommend it unless you absolutely understand the implications, or not at all on anything halfway recent).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #198
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(I also don't recommend it unless you absolutely understand the implications, or not at all on anything halfway recent).
Can someone please explain, or give a pointer to, what the problem is?

I've missed the last 4 or so years of Kobo hacking. I still have KSM on my old Aura, (haven't updated the Kobo firmware in ages). Now I'm reading that it's no longer recommended. What is the problem besides tshering having new priorities?
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #199
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, as that's explicitly an anti-goal of KFMon .

From my understanding, KFMon only checks to see if a file is accessed through lsof or something, then executes the corresponding filename.sh, right?

If so, then I should be able to determine the earliest moment from boot where a file is being accessed and push KFMon to execute the koreader startup script, yes?

I am never much afraid to brick my devices as most are easily recoverable
Old 11-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #200
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not quite, no. It's a bit more involved than that, and involves a bunch of safety nets involving nickel and what it might be expecting. So, no.

If you *really* want to do something like this, in 99.9% of cases it's because you only want to do *one* thing, in which case, I'd advise the DIY approach, taking inspiration from Plato's standalone script.

(Again, I advise not to do that *at all*, especially on anything Mk7+).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-11-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Advert
Old 11-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #201
CH23
Bottom Text

Quote:
Not quite, no. It's a bit more involved than that, and involves a bunch of safety nets involving nickel and what it might be expecting. So, no.

If you *really* want to do something like this, in 99.9% of cases it's because you only want to do *one* thing, in which case, I'd advise the DIY approach, taking inspiration from Plato's standalone script.
I did not know that script existed...now let's see if I can get it to work with koreader.

Thank you for pointing this out!
Old 11-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #202
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
I'm not actually a CS student at all, more of an English lit one, so I'm basically terrible at C
Why would this require C? Does it involve very low-level functionality, like memory management, for example? What sort of code are you normally dealing with here? Just curious.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #203
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Because it's fairly low-level, since we're dealing with Linux kernel APIs .

(Note that FBInk actually implements some of the ideas the quote refers to, IIRC).
Old 11-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #204
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok. So you mean the task is hard because it is so low level, and not that C itself is hard. I dont think it is, though I appreciate it is suited to delving into places where other languages are not suited to go. I guess things like lua, java and even csharp are not so suited to this stuff.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #205
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It would help if you were to actually explain what you're talking about, because a five year old quote is less than helpful on that front .
Old 11-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #206
Pajamaman
Wizard

Oh, I didn't realize it was so long ago. I was just following along the updated thread. Anyway, you said it, and I don't know what you meant, which is why I was asking.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #207
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then the answer is the same as above: because it has to be in C (or at least in a language able to talk to C APIs, so, C(++) or C via FFI, and I don't do any of those besides Lua, c.f., NanoClock for how not-actually-fun and so-much-more-error-prone it is do do this way, though ). :?.

And I'm still not a CS guy, so I still suck at all of the above.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-16-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #208
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
And I'm still not a CS guy, so I still suck at all of the above.
I am a CS guy, I suck at all of the above as well. But, not as badly as most of the people I have worked with. As to the younger ones who have really only been exposed to the likes of Python, or worse, Javascript...
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #209
WhiteNoise
WhiteNoise began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I need some help, im trying to install it on my kobo libra 2, I tried by downloading the file and unziping it to the root, as well as running the autoinstall script posted here but its not working, I get a message when i start my device and i can see 3 png files on my books that do nothing
WhiteNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #210
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Question

I'm about to try to use the automated method with the powerscript file to attempt reinstall of Kfmon to fix "generator error" (again!)

Can i just do KFMON by itself (using the zip in this thread) or will i have to reinstall koreader and plato as well?

Last time I fixed this error (manually) I ended up installing KO and P as well, but not sure if I needed to.

BTW: Does the Koreader+Plato package include KFMON anyway?

Last edited by LivresInOz; 04-23-2022 at 09:45 AM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fmon, kfmon, kobo, launcher