Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #406
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I'm glad this thread floated to the top of the discussion list; it reminded me to look for Zenna Henderson ebooks and lo and behold....they published both collections of her works
(People and non-People stories) as ebooks last year! Woo hoo!
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #407
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm glad this thread floated to the top of the discussion list; it reminded me to look for Zenna Henderson ebooks and lo and behold....they published both collections of her works
(People and non-People stories) as ebooks last year! Woo hoo!
I remember reading some of those stories as a teen. thanks for the pointer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #408
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've pretty much given up on (2) of my favorites ever being ebooks:

The Children of First Man, by James Alexander Thom
Reign in Hell, by William Diehl (the last book in the Martin Vail/Aaron Stampler series)
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #409
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Gödel, Escher, Bach.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #410
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

James H Cobb's Amanda Garrett series (also known as the USS Cunningham Quartet) came out last Saturday. Cobb died back in 2014, so I had given up on this. I finished the first. There are some scan errors but I didn't think they were too bad.

In this particular genre, a couple of books that I'm still looking for are Harold Coyle's The Ten Thousand and John Hackett's The Third World War - August 1985. I still have hope for Coyle's book since most of his books are available and he's still alive. Hackett's book seems unlikely. It was actually a best seller when it was published back in 1979 but has been out of print for a while. Hackett died back in 1997.
Advert
Old 05-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #411
blar
blar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I can't for the life of me understand why Sailor Song by Ken Kesey doesn't have an ebook format yet, when it's decades old by a well-known author! I want to shake whomever owns the rights to it and tell them to let me buy it already. No idea where my physical copy is right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Gödel, Escher, Bach.
Excellent book.
blar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #412
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by blar View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why Sailor Song by Ken Kesey doesn't have an ebook format yet, when it's decades old by a well-known author!
For older books sometimes just who owns the electronic publishing rights isn't clear.

Some authors or their estates are ebook phobic.

The book might only exist in printed form and the publisher doesn't want to experience the pain of OCR plus proofing.

Just another downside of excessive copyright duration.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:05 AM   #413
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
For older books sometimes just who owns the electronic publishing rights isn't clear.

Some authors or their estates are ebook phobic.

The book might only exist in printed form and the publisher doesn't want to experience the pain of OCR plus proofing.

Yep. I think that many times, once the author dies, the estate simply isn't all that interested in keeping the books in print unless we are talking a major hit. Way back when Jim Baen was active on his web board, he mentioned that most books earn most of their money within the first or two year of publishing. Authors with a big backlist that keep writing, can get a steady flow of money from readers who discover the author, then buy the backlist. Jerry Pournelle once referred to his backlist books as his 401-K.

But once the author dies, for the vast majority of authors, there just isn't much incentive to get the book out in ebook form.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #414
blar
blar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm in full agreement with you, here. It's a shame books are valued for the wrong things by many.
blar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #415
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
A few years ago, I gave up and bought the giant tome "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth, because it's the size of war and peace, and I can't see it ever gettting e'ed. I tend to buy long books because I tend to read slowly and flit from book to book, at that. So it was a decent buy.
For kicks, I looked it up on Kindle. It's there! Of course I bought it. 1553 pages to read through. I still have the actual thick book, but my wrists and my eyesight struggle to read through.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #416
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Bridge Over The River Kwai. Its not available in the USA as an ebook when I last checked
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:21 AM   #417
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Bridge Over The River Kwai. Its not available in the USA as an ebook when I last checked
Well actually it is here.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #418
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post

Well...that ain't the way I heeerd it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.37.16 AM.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	187313  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #419
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well...that ain't the way I heeerd it!
Yep I see the same thing as the Dr. It says it is a Kindle Edition, but does not display a price.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #420
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, I see a price on The Bridge on the River Kwai (mobi-asin B0052Z3IY8 ) on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. Admittedly, if I try buying it on Amazon.com, I get referred to Amazon.ca. Geolocation is so much fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River_Kwai_AmazonCa.png
Views:	150
Size:	549.1 KB
ID:	187315   Click image for larger version

Name:	River_Kwai_AmazonCom.png
Views:	138
Size:	508.3 KB
ID:	187316   Click image for larger version

Name:	River_Kwai_Product_Details.png
Views:	127