Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #1
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Do you picture what you're reading?

The discussion about the differences in how people feel about characters in books made me curious about other differences in how we experience reading.

When I read, I see in my mind's eye what's happening. It's blurry, like an impressionist painting or like seeing through fogged-up glasses. It's not a film, but a series of still images. It's not something I choose to do or makes an effort to do -- I read about the protagonist waiting on a bleak, cold beach, and there's an image in my mind of what it looks like.

A lot of the time I recycle locations. If I'm reading about a contemporary hotel room it will look mostly the same each time, the flat of Kim Secretan has the same layout as the flat of Bertie Wooster (both are rich bachelors living with a single manservant in London in the 1920s-1930s, but the books they appear in are very different), and the street where the retired orc warrior opens her coffee shop in "Legends and Lattes" looks like the street in Ankh Morpork where the Night Watch has their headquarters.

Do you visualize anything when reading? What about other senses -- do you hear, smell, taste or experience anything else when the words on the page make their way to your brain?

Last edited by hildea; 02-14-2023 at 02:02 PM.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:21 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not really. I used to wish like heck I was IN some of the places I was reading about, but I can't say I've ever pictured what I was reading about. Ditto for the other senses.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2023, 02:35 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes. Not as sharply as in real life; it's all kind of blurred. But yeah, I do visualize. Taste, too. Smelling and hearing, possibly a little.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:38 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not really. I used to wish like heck I was IN some of the places I was reading about, but I can't say I've ever pictured what I was reading about. Ditto for the other senses.
Hmm. I've never wished to be in the places I'm reading about, no matter how lovely. I don't really understand the urge to travel in real life either.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:13 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Yeah, I do have a faint movie playing out in my mind. But it's stage-y, if you see what I mean. Like the beach in Contact or the OK Corral in the original Star Trek series.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2023, 05:23 PM   #6
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes, I definitely see things. There are brief periods of motion. How light or dark it is. Sounds are more abstract. Taste and smell very rare, and the only "feel" I get is visceral or proprioceptive. I can get a surge of vertigo with dangerous heights, for instance. I hate when they do that.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
This is what distinguishes a good author from a poor author for me. If I can picture the location and characters, that's a good author. If I can't, that's a poor one.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:17 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I would say it varies. If the author writes good description, yes, I do visualize the setting and/or characters. If the book is primarily dialog and story action, not always so much.

I am a primarily visual person, so smelling and hearing doesn't happen as often. Sometimes, I hear, very rarely do I smell anything described while reading. Taste occasionally, perhaps!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:22 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I do picture the action, the scene and the characters.

It is also easier if there is a movie related to the book, then picturing the characters is pretty sharp and easy as I just picture the actors and the locations from the movie.

On a rare occassion I become bogged down in a fast paced scene and I have to read and re-read sections so its clear where all the characters are and what they are doing, before I can move on.

If I am not really enjoying the book, then I move on pretty quickly and don't worry about placing every character and imagining the scene.

Sometimes for certain scenes I create a little side narrative that I feel should have happened in the book. (yea, yea, I know, seek professional help )
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I do picture the action, the scene and the characters.

It is also easier if there is a movie related to the book, then picturing the characters is pretty sharp and easy as I just picture the actors and the locations from the movie.
No, no, no! You must read the book first. It’s an unalterable law of the universe.

To answer the question: I’m mostly about the words and the language, but I do get snapshots. Rather blurry snapshots. When the text is about imagery, I make an effort to slow down and picture it, rather than bang through. The other senses aren’t in play — except that when I listen to an audiobook, I’ll identify some voices as “wrong.”
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:03 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I'm with Issybird...Read the original book, not the novelization or movie version.

I rate the Movie on how well the director conveyed the book.

OK There are exceptions. I could never finish JRR's LOR,, but Peter Jackson made it entertaining (no clue how far adrift it went).

As to visualize... Sometimes . Like a certain VW Mechanic leaving 1 wheel off just to annoy the Neighbor.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:05 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Nope. I don't picture the action, and I don't picture the characters or settings. I just read/hear the words.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:36 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmm. I've never wished to be in the places I'm reading about, no matter how lovely. I don't really understand the urge to travel in real life either.
To be perfectly clear, I was referring to my youth. Like the island Where the Wild Things "Were", Neverland, Oz, the secret headquarters (under the junk pile) of Hitchcock's Three Investigators, on the deck of the Dawn Treader, Hobbiton, down a certain rabbit hole, the planet Uriel, under water in the Nautilus, etc...
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:48 PM   #14
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
When I was a child, I had very poor eyesight, which wasn't caught until I was about 10 or 11 years old. Consequently, my visual skills are poor, although I have managed to improve them as I get older. (I probably learned to love reading because the printed page was the only thing I could see clearly if I held it up to my nose.) Anyway, to answer your question, no, I don't visualize when I read. I DO find myself inside the heads of the characters, so their thoughts and motives are as clear as day to me. But the surrounding environment? Not really.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Do you visualize anything when reading? What about other senses -- do you hear, smell, taste or experience anything else when the words on the page make their way to your brain?
Yes, I do. The images are clearer when the writing is more visual but (like the others have mentioned) never quite like reality.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote