Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2021, 03:48 AM   #2041
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Am I reading what you wrote correctly? You are asking for Kobo to support rotation on a device without the ability to sense orientation?
Sorry. I need to wrote this in NickelMenu thread, but yes - I would like, when inverting orientation, then automatically inverting of the current control of touch zones. Now only manually change this in the reading settings every time, when inverting orientation. But this don't need, if I have one more option of onscreen control: the left and right zones - turn forward, the middle column - turn backward, and at the bottom and top in the middle of the row - the menu. Patch with left and right tap to turn forward - good, but I often have double page turning, and turn page back can only be done via swipe, not tap.
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #2042
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Am I reading what you wrote correctly? You are asking for Kobo to support rotation on a device without the ability to sense orientation?
That exists. I believe there's a kobo settings option to give you a pull down menu to change orientation, and there's NickelMenu options to add NM menu entries to set the rotation. I've used both on both devices with and without rotation sensors.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #2043
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by -stepan- View Post
I have two Kobo devices (Kobo Mini - with cover and without cover), and only 2 requests for future firmware versions. My wishlist is like this:

1. More control options for touch zones - as in the Moon Reader. At least one more option: the left and right zones - turn forward, the middle column - turn backward, and at the bottom and top in the middle of the row - the menu.

2. For firmware or patches: the function of inverting the display to immediately change the control zones. If the book is in the case, I invert the screen in portrait mode, then the control remains unchanged - if I grab it with my left hand (I'm right-handed), I won't be able to change pages forward without additionally changing the touch -zones. It's like the auto-rotate feature for gyro devices.
As a current work around for 2, there is a patch that sets the whole screen (taps) to page forward (minus the menu tap zones).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #2044
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
That exists. I believe there's a kobo settings option to give you a pull down menu to change orientation, and there's NickelMenu options to add NM menu entries to set the rotation. I've used both on both devices with and without rotation sensors.
I think that what he wants is for his Kobo to automatically change the tap zones when he manually rotates the screen. On my Forma, the buttons and tap zones automatically switch when I rotate the device.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #2045
fluffier
fluffier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
If you use left justification (aka ragged right), the distance between words should be constant. If you are using fully justified text, the spacing between words needs to vary to fill the line. There is nothing to be done about that since it is needed to keep the line length constant. In print, the spaces between words and letters are varied on a very fine grained basis (micro-justification) to make text look more even but that takes quite a bit of computing power and I am not aware of any renderers that micro-justify.

To force left justification, add text-align: left; to the body definition in the CSS stylesheet and remove any text-align: justify; entries from the rest of the stylesheets. To allow choosing in the Aa menu, do not add the text-align: left; entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can add text-align: left; to the body style in CSS. Just don't add a justify or left anyplace else in the CSS. Just having it in body allows the justification override to work. But remember, the bug where things like center in KePub doesn't work. So using the override if you are reading KePub is not a good idea.

Hello guys and thank you for your replies.

I am afraid I do not know how to add text align: left to the body style in CSS. I went through the patches to see if it could be done there but I did not find anything helpful. I have also searched the web but all I could find was programmer stuff and I am not familiar with it so I was not able to understand what I found.

Also I am using the reader that comes with the original firmware. With that reader you can choose justification left but the space between words is not even (not all the time anyway). Why would kobo put that feature there if it doesnt do anything is something I would like to know.

Please find attached a photo I took with justification left chosen, however space between words is not always the same.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uU5...ew?usp=sharing

I would like to know how to add text align: left to the body of CSS if it can be easily explained by writting, maybe it is not.

Thanks again

Last edited by fluffier; 12-21-2021 at 11:56 AM.
fluffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #2046
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffier View Post
Please find attached a photo I took with justification left chosen, however space between words is not always the same.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uU5...ew?usp=sharing

I would like to know how to add text align: left to the body of CSS if it can be easily explained by writting, maybe it is not.
I hate to burst your bubble but that image shows a page that is fully justified as you may notice the left and right edges of the text are aligned. Left justified text is not also called ragged right for no reason.

One item to note is that Kobo's renderers do not override the builtin CSS. If the CSS stylesheet says to justify text, the Justifiction selector will not override that.

The easy way (for me) to fix this is to open the epub with Sigil, and search/replace text-align: justify; in all CSS files. Note that since quite a few epub creators will have their own ideas on how to layout entries in the stylesheets, I first open a CSS file, right click and select Reformat CSS => multiple lines per style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test-align_justify.png
Views:	122
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	190951   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo justification2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	956.4 KB
ID:	190952  
Old 12-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #2047
fluffier
fluffier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble but that image shows a page that is fully justified as you may notice the left and right edges of the text are aligned. Left justified text is not also called ragged right for no reason.

One item to note is that Kobo's renderers do not override the builtin CSS. If the CSS stylesheet says to justify text, the Justifiction selector will not override that.

The easy way (for me) to fix this is to open the epub with Sigil, and search/replace text-align: justify; in all CSS files. Note that since quite a few epub creators will have their own ideas on how to layout entries in the stylesheets, I first open a CSS file, right click and select Reformat CSS => multiple lines per style.
Well, that did the trick all right!!! Thank you so much for explaining how to do it

So now my request for a patch would be to be able to make any book left justified without the need to use sigil, but I guess that if it has not been done already is because it is not possible, am I right? I hope not.
fluffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #2048
schack
schack began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Elipsa
If possible I would like a fix for pen annotation of side loaded kepubs on the Elipsa.
schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:14 PM   #2049
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Put a clock top center of the screen constantly, like Kindles.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:20 AM   #2050
Alexia
Bookworm
Alexia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra Colour
I'd really like a clock to be displayed all the time while reading.
And place "Dark Mode" shortcut somewhere between "orientation"-"light"-"font"-"settings"
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #2051
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
I'd really like a clock to be displayed all the time while reading.
And place "Dark Mode" shortcut somewhere between "orientation"-"light"-"font"-"settings"
Check for Nanoclock for a clock. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to have to tap on the ... menu and then Dark Mode?
Old 01-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #2052
Alexia
Bookworm

Quote:
Check for Nanoclock for a clock. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to have to tap on the ... menu and then Dark Mode?
I don't want Nanoclock, I want it to be in original firmware. Most of people I know can only go to setting to select this or that, and would never bother with side loaded options. Why can't it be an option in the original firmware after so many years? when so many people desire the have a clock?

As for dark mode - if I don't change or add anything to my kobo (the majority of people don't change anything) - the selection is: touch screen - settings - page swipe - dark mode tick - close settings - touch screen. 6 steps are too many actions - it could be 3-4 instead of 6 if dark mode would have a short cut between "orientation"-"light"-"font"-"settings", or in ... menu - then Dark Mode originally.

Last edited by Alexia; 01-21-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:37 PM   #2053
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I don't want Nanoclock, I want it to be in original firmware. Most of people I know can only go to setting to select this or that, and would never bother with side loaded options. Why can't it be an option in the original firmware after so many years? when so many people desire the have a clock?
Sorry but I see little evidence of "many people' desiring a always on screen clock. These forums are not representative of the average ereader user. Looking at the people I know who own Kobo ereaders (for my sins, I seem to have become their go-to for help), very few of them are interested in an on screen clock anymore than they desire the time to be shown in their pbooks.

Quote:
As for dark mode - if I don't change or add anything to my kobo (the majority of people don't change anything) - the selection is: touch screen - settings - page swipe - dark mode tick - close settings - touch screen. 6 steps are too many actions - it could be 3-4 instead of 6 if dark mode would have a short cut between "orientation"-"light"-"font"-"settings", or in ... menu - then Dark Mode originally.
The majority of people are unlikely to care about changing anything. The majority of the posters in these forums are, IMNSHO, much more likely to modify their devices either by adding entries to the .conf file, installing alternative renderers, installing NickelMenu, using the KoboPatcher tools, etc. And then we have those who are interested in alternative operating systems and other more intrusive modifications.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:52 AM   #2054
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
+1 or maybe +10 for an always on clock that doesn't take away a line of the book, like the Kindle somehow miraculously provides. Definitely top 3 of the most wanted, probably number 1. Definitely something more people want than some would expect or if not want it be glad they have it once they got it.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:18 AM   #2055
Alexia
Bookworm

Quote:
Sorry but I see little evidence of "many people' desiring a always on screen clock.
Considering how many people here go through installing mini clock or nanoclock - is it not an evidence of how many people want it? And so many people who don't install it either wish it was an option, or if they don't pay attention now, they'd want to have that option later once they have it.

One way or another - optional clock while reading (like in kindle) will satisfy those who want a clock and those who don't want it.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo