Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
thelink10
thelink10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon Kindle 7th Gen stuck on Tree Screen after deleting ".active_content_sandbox"

Hi, so, i bought my kindle today, second hand. Everything worked great, but it was almost full of space, so, naturally, i thought "i should format the drive (like an usb) to get space for my book".
Before anything bad happened, i did a backup of everything it was on the kindle, just in case.
I deleted everything and got my books in. As soon as i disconnected the kindle, i got a message prompt on screen "kindle device error an unexpected error has occurred" and something else like "this error usually happens when removing the drive on a non-safe mode" i think.
The error screen stuck there for hours, so i thought i should just reset the kindle and everything would be fine...
So, im actually stuck on the tree screen, i tried do the 30 seconds reset button like 20 times but it just flashes the screen for a second, and nothing happens, no loading bar or anything, and if i try to plug it to my pc it wont recognize the kindle, so i cant put the files back.
i read in some forums that letting the battery die solved the problem, so i thought "i can maybe speed up the process instead of waiting for weeks for the battery to die". I took apart the kindle, removed the battery, and plugged in again... nothing happened, still did the flickering when i pressed the reset button for 30 seconds but nothing else.

Im really desperate as this point, there has to be a "forcefull" way for my pc to recognize the kindle or something right ? Please any help will be appreciated, i will give any details needed to solve the problem.

if it helps, the problem looks EXACTLY like this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...ng_the_button/
thelink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Have a look at this thread. Go down to the post that mentions DO_FACTORY_RESTORE

https://ebooks.stackexchange.com/que...-repair-code-2
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Have a look at this thread. Go down to the post that mentions DO_FACTORY_RESTORE

https://ebooks.stackexchange.com/que...-repair-code-2
I don't think that will work as the Kindle is stuck booting. I don't see the computer seeing the Kindle to put any file on it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think that will work as the Kindle is stuck booting. I don't see the computer seeing the Kindle to put any file on it.
There's usually a brief window during the bootup process when it's possible to copy the file over. Create a batch file like this

:A
COPY DO_FACTORY_RESTORE E:\
GOTO A

change E:\ to the right drive letter for your system

Then reboot the Kindle by holding down power button. Once it begins rebooting, run the batch file you created above
Old 11-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
thelink10

Hi, so, i tried the method Barty mentioned above, and got no luck making this work. Maybe i did something wrong or skipped something ? what i did was:

1. create a folder anywhere in my pc
2.create a empty file called "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" without any extension
3. create a .txt with these lines :
:A
COPY DO_FACTORY_RESTORE E:\
GOTO A
4. save the .txt as .bat
5. connect the kindle into the E: port ( i know it gets recognized as the E:/ port because i ran USBDeview to check)
6.run the program
7. connect the Kindle
8.press the reset button for 30+ seconds.

aditional data just in case: once a couple of days ago, the kindle got recognized, but when i tried to access via windows, it said something like "please insert a drive into the E:// port" (same thing as when you insert a micro-sd adapter without the SD to set an example)
Old 11-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
Barty
doofus

What drive letters do you normally see in Windows explorer?
Old 11-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
thelink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
What drive letters do you normally see in Windows explorer?
C, D and F, but i know kindle is the E port, not only i remember it being the E port, but if i connect any other usb drive in the same port, it gets detected as a E: drive.
And in the USBDeview Kindle get listed as a E port so...
Old 11-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
just a theory but.. can't you make a strg+c on the file you need to copy over, restart your kindle and as soon it is detected in the explorer try as fast you can to click the E:/ letter and make strg+v to copy the file over? if the timespan is long enough, this should also work i would say. if the problem is the batch file, maybe this works for you?
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
If you don't see a loading bar when restarting, your Kindle is crashing early into the boot process which is.. not a good sign. Luckily, 7th Gen devices are almost impossible to hardbrick so recovery will just be tedious rather than impossible.

Try this tutorial - it's for a slightly different problem but might work.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #10
thelink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
just a theory but.. can't you make a strg+c on the file you need to copy over, restart your kindle and as soon it is detected in the explorer try as fast you can to click the E:/ letter and make strg+v to copy the file over? if the timespan is long enough, this should also work i would say. if the problem is the batch file, maybe this works for you?
the kindle never gets recognized on the pc, i tried a thousand times to do the same thing, spamming F5 on the explorer to see if it gets recognized, but no luck.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #11
thelink10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
If you don't see a loading bar when restarting, your Kindle is crashing early into the boot process which is.. not a good sign. Luckily, 7th Gen devices are almost impossible to hardbrick so recovery will just be tedious rather than impossible.

Try this tutorial - it's for a slightly different problem but might work.
yup, i don't see any loading bar. That tutorial seems a little complicated but i might be able to do it. I'll post feedback as soon as i try it. Thank you.

Tags
brick, kindle, stuck, tree screen